News Article: Damien Cox’s 10 thoughts from Toronto’s win over Anaheim Ducks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...hts_from_torontos_win_over_anaheim_ducks.html

A summary of some highlights..

1. Sometimes we forget the important stuff: It’s no surprise it didn’t come up, yet somehow it seemed a moment worth noting Tuesday. The game between the Leafs and Ducks contained not one but two cancer survivors as participants, extraordinary when you consider how often we view these men as somehow existing in a world untouched by regular concerns. Kessel and Koivu

2. Bozak... He may never be the protypical No. 1 centre, but he does hold value as a good faceoff man — Toronto’s best — and a dangerous penalty killer. Sometimes we spend a lot of time focussing on what players aren’t rather than what they are. What Bozak is, clearly, is a good NHL player who has turned out to be one of the better players ever signed by any team as an NCAA free agent.

7. Imperfect, perhaps, but still the best they’ve got: A terrific performance by captain Dion Phaneuf on Tuesday night again highlighted his status as the kingpin on the Toronto defence. Some may see him as flawed and overpaid, but the team doesn’t yet own a better backliner.

8. Once more for the folks in the back who didn’t hear: While the deficiencies of the Leafs have been greatly highlighted of late, the team has been exceptional in some areas, specifically on the special teams. As of today the power play is No. 2 in the league and the penalty killing is No. 5. Whether you like some of the other stuff, or how much the Leafs “possess†the puck (like that never mattered before this season), that is a winning combination.

More at the link, but I thought I'd highlight the things I found interesting. Overall, decent article from Cox.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...hts_from_torontos_win_over_anaheim_ducks.html

A summary of some highlights..

1. Sometimes we forget the important stuff: It’s no surprise it didn’t come up, yet somehow it seemed a moment worth noting Tuesday. The game between the Leafs and Ducks contained not one but two cancer survivors as participants, extraordinary when you consider how often we view these men as somehow existing in a world untouched by regular concerns. Kessel and Koivu

2. Bozak... He may never be the protypical No. 1 centre, but he does hold value as a good faceoff man — Toronto’s best — and a dangerous penalty killer. Sometimes we spend a lot of time focussing on what players aren’t rather than what they are. What Bozak is, clearly, is a good NHL player who has turned out to be one of the better players ever signed by any team as an NCAA free agent.

7. Imperfect, perhaps, but still the best they’ve got: A terrific performance by captain Dion Phaneuf on Tuesday night again highlighted his status as the kingpin on the Toronto defence. Some may see him as flawed and overpaid, but the team doesn’t yet own a better backliner.

8. Once more for the folks in the back who didn’t hear: While the deficiencies of the Leafs have been greatly highlighted of late, the team has been exceptional in some areas, specifically on the special teams. As of today the power play is No. 2 in the league and the penalty killing is No. 5. Whether you like some of the other stuff, or how much the Leafs “possess†the puck (like that never mattered before this season), that is a winning combination.

More at the link, but I thought I'd highlight the things I found interesting. Overall, decent article from Cox.

I only read your highlights, and I agree with most, if not all of what he said.

I forgot that Koivu was a cancer survivor too, shame on me.

On point #2 though, I have to agree. We cry all the time about Bozak and all, but what he says is true. How often does a college free agent come out as a 60pt NHL regular? I'd have to argue that the one who's remotely close to Bozak's "calibre" out of NCAA as a free agent recently is J. Schultz, and even he seems to be declining (though he does have potential).

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I don't understand the logic about Hamrlik being a better pick than Yashin.

Hamrik played 6 seasons in TB and was traded for Bryan Marchment. Yashin played about the same in Ottawa, was more valuable during that time, and netted Chara and Spezza.

It doesn't matter if a guy has a better total career. Market value and early career performance is a huge part of drafting.

The Wall

Mar 28, 2013
Kessel's cancer in 2006 was how i first heard of him as a kid. I pray he remains in remission. Same with Saku, both guys are fighters!

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Did forget about Koivu also being a cancer survivor. Though might just be because with him out West and on the Ducks how little we here about him anymore. Something that certainly shouldn't be forgotten.

On the Olympic point not sure what Cox was getting at. Certainly a lot of possibles to appear on Team Canada. Nothing crazy with them wanting to see how their seasons are unfolding and how they are contributing to both teams strong records early.

Still surprised when I hear how high our PP is ranked. PK I'm getting used to being up there, which should be weirder since it was so bad for so long. If there's a good reason why we can survive special teams probably is connected. Have some nice skill and the PK just works.

Certainly a solid opinion that who "wins a draft" may not get decided for a very long time. Have to let players develop and see how things turn out.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Good to hear good things said about Phaneuf. People still dont understand how hes a number one D man which is baffling to me. The leafs wouldnt have won that game without him.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

On point #2 though, I have to agree. We cry all the time about Bozak and all, but what he says is true. How often does a college free agent come out as a 60pt NHL regular? I'd have to argue that the one who's remotely close to Bozak's "calibre" out of NCAA as a free agent recently is J. Schultz, and even he seems to be declining (though he does have potential).

Schultz was UFA by choice though and had every team after him when he was still Anaheim property after being a 2nd rounder.

Bozak was never drafted by anyone.

hockeyfanz*

Cox sure gets a lot of threads for a guy so hated by Leafs Nation. I don't get it. Whats the fascination with Cox/Simmons when they are not very well liked here? Someone please explain.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Good to hear good things said about Phaneuf. People still dont understand how hes a number one D man which is baffling to me. The leafs wouldnt have won that game without him.

I'm constantly telling people that if you take away Phaneuf as our #1 D then we're probably 3-7 instead of 7-3.

He gets no respect despite playing 25-30 minutes per night against guys like Getzlaf and Perry and killing penalties and playing point on the PP.

It's sad how since the 1st lockout a certain group of fans do nothing but obsess over salary and become accountants rather then hockey fans.

If Phaneuf was making $3 mil per he'd be a Norris candidate to those people.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Great article by a guy who, IMO, gets dumped undeservedly in the same pot as that dweeb Simmons. I like that Cox doesn't feel the need to be negative, and can occasionally throw out some decent fluff for the fans.

Not that it's likely your reading, but thanks Damion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's sad that that's the most positive comment the media can come up with for Phaneuf.

Phaneuf has been utterly dominant so far this year, no ifs ands or buts.

He's not just the best the leafs have, he's one of the best the league has.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's sad that that's the most positive comment the media can come up with for Phaneuf.

Phaneuf has been utterly dominant so far this year, no ifs ands or buts.

He's not just the best the leafs have, he's one of the best the league has.

I like Phaneuf but he can be slow and sloppy at times. I hope Rielly develops fast because Gunnarsson just isn't cutting it...

Rielly would make Phaneuf's job much easier, and vice versa.

Phaneuf has done a great job of shutting down top lines this year but we spend far too much time in our zone when Gunnar/Phaneuf are on the ice.

I don't know why we don't try Phaneuf and Gardiner together...you see that pairing at times during the games and it looks so much better than Gunnarsson on the first pairing.

Tyler Biggs*

Here here! Damien Cox is a moron. He should change his first name to: “Sucks Bigâ€.

No way they’re trading Gardiner for this guy.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Oh good Lord, I agree with Cox for once. Right now, on Prime Time Sports, it's a battle between 2 of the people who hate the Leafs the most - Cox vs Healy....And Cox is throwing out stats that actually make the team look good.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

When did Bozak hit 60 points? Has he ever even been on pace for that?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Was reading the article during transit and pretty much agree with everything.

As much heat Bozak faces, he is probably the best NCAA FA signing in many years now.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto

woah. 60 pt center? If bozak was a 60 point center, no one would complain about him at 4.2 mil per yer. The problem is he hasn't ever reach 50 points even. Other than that I agree with your post.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Impressive article by Cox...did not think he had it in him to come up with TEN WHOLE THOUGHTS!:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad