Proposal: Damien Brunner

weephil56

Feb 28, 2013
Belfast
He is still unsigned I think he would be a good addition he has great hands knows how to score. He is from switzerland possibly a good mentor for Sven. He is 27 would good to fill in the caps till the prospects come through.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Would be down. Upgrade on Cervenka, I see him being a Hudler-like addition, a very impressive and needed offensive role. As long as the term isnt too long id give him 3.5 - 4 AAV.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Clearly the Flames could use the another smallish, offensive, and soft-ish, left-winger.

Honestly though, wouldn't be opposed to adding him if it meant one of Hudler or Cammalleri were traded away for positive assets. Which is unlikely at this point.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We need a top 4 defensemen and a top 6 centermen to help us with the rebuild. Brunner is neither of which. But knowing Feaster, yeah, I'd assume he's chasing another small winger.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
:(

Don't we get enough of this on the main boards already?

:laugh:

True enough. Alright, I'll stop ranting about Feaster. Its been a tough ride being a Flames fan this season, and even tougher when it looks worse before it looks better.

EDIT: I spent 10 minutes on the mainboards a few years ago when D. Sutter was at the helm. I knew then to avoid that place like the plague :laugh:

Personally I hope Feaster's chasing a small centre named Grabovski

Grabo would help Backlund and Stajan a lot. Both made huge improvements last year but I still think another top 6 centre will help Backlund's growth, especially during a full season of rebuild mode.

I didn't care which centre it was (Lecav, Wiess, Roy, Riberio, Fillpula, Grabo, etc.), as long as they can take a face-off and play somewhat competitive for 15+ minutes a night.

And of course there's the defense that could use help. Again, I don't care who it is, it would make me feel more comfortable to see someone brought in who can eat 20 + minutes respectfully.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Going into July 5th, Feaster's list was very small and he's fine with not spending big money on FA's. I hope he is in on Grabo though, but they may be looking to trade to address the need. Personally I think if you can sign Grabo to a 2 year, 4 million per deal, and not give up any assets to get him then do it. Then move a guy like Stempniak and perhaps throw in a guy like Byron to land a dman that can play in the top 4.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I didn't care which centre it was (Lecav, Wiess, Roy, Riberio, Fillpula, Grabo, etc.), as long as they can take a face-off and play somewhat competitive for 15+ minutes a nigh

Coming from someone who watched every leaf game this year I can tell you grabovski will give you 15+mins of competive hockey most nights, however when he is in a slouch he tends to take a few nights off but for the most part plays good hockey for about 67 games or so, the other 15 games he spends coasting up and down the ice and is mostly invisible , also he is a horrible faceoff man and should not be relied upon to win faceoffs, one last plus is that he is pretty responsible defensively and can play on the PK.

I am still undecided on if Grabovski would be a good fit in Calgary but at 29 years old turning 30 soon I'm leaning towards thinking he is too old and honestly I would rather give a top 9 C spot to Knight

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
On the Brunner topic I say absolutely! I suggested him last year before he was even in the NHL, I think he has a great shot. He would add to our RW depth something that is much needed and he is still young. I also think at this point in his career Brunner would rather play more than win, meaning we are a team that can give him top 6 mins where as most contending teams would have him on the 3rd line, I think this could be a selling point to Brunner along with the possible familiarity with coach Hartley and I hope feaster is in on this kid.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lets assume Cammy plays center, where Brunner slot in?

LW: Sven, Stempniak, Galiardi

RW: Hudler, Jones, Glencross

We could move Galiardi to the 4th and bump Glencross to LW, but adding a winger isn't a need for this team.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lets assume Cammy plays wing, where Brunner slot in?

LW: Sven, Stempniak, Galiardi

RW: Hudler, Jones, Glencross

We could move Galiardi to the 4th and bump Glencross to LW, but adding a winger isn't a need for this team.
You forgot Cammalleri too lol. and Stempniak is a natural RW, Hudler and Glencross are better LW. I also believe Brunner was used primarily as a RW himself.

So I have:

LW - Baertschi, Glencross, Hudler, Galiardi, Cammalleri (or RW/C), Bouma
RW - Jones, Stempniak, Brunner, Jackman, McGrattan
C - Stajan, Backlund, Knight, Monahan

Bouma would be a victim and demoted on that roster.

And if we aren't against any yough guys we could run 4 "scoring" lines.

Hudler - Stajan - Cammalleri
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones/Brunner
Glencross - Monahan/Knight - Jones/Brunner
Galiardi - Monahan/Knight - Stempniak

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You forgot Cammalleri too lol. and Stempniak is a natural RW, Hudler and Glencross are better LW. I also believe Brunner was used primarily as a RW himself.

So I have:

LW - Baertschi, Glencross, Hudler, Galiardi, Cammalleri (or RW/C), Bouma
RW - Jones, Stempniak, Brunner, Jackman, McGrattan
C - Stajan, Backlund, Knight, Monahan

Bouma would be a victim and demoted on that roster.

And if we aren't against any yough guys we could run 4 "scoring" lines.

Hudler - Stajan - Cammalleri
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones/Brunner
Glencross - Monahan/Knight - Jones/Brunner
Galiardi - Monahan/Knight - Stempniak

My bad, I meant to type center. I'm blaming it on Stampeding.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd pass on Brunner. The guy I'd have interest in is Grabovski if the term is right. It would let Monahan spend another year in junior, which I think it the right move even though I know the Flames won't do it.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, Brunner is a better winger. He doesn't play center very well and his two way game is close to non-existent. He is a shoot first guy that can do pretty well if given the space but keep in mind his centerman was Zetterberg.

I don't think he is a good fit on the flames, he doesn't really generate much offense himself and is fairly soft in most other aspects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad