WJC: Damian Cox: Canada's constant home-ice advantage is killing WJCs

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Here, we have a different philosophy - if the stands are full of rabid supporters, your team generally will step up and perform well.

The case you're making is "our team sucks, so don't bother going". Yeah, that's motivational.... :shakehead

No, it means "no talent in team=team closer to relegation than medals=no one interested in watching the team=no profit from tournament".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nah, not really correct.

The last time I checked there were like "E"-pools (5 divisions) in the WJC. In other words, proof that you can host a tournament without it being played in Canada.

With that said -- the WJC's draws people to the arenas in Canada, not anywhere else. So play it there a lot.

But its unfortunate that its played in NA for so many straight years.

Yeah but it's much much more expensive to put on a tournament that gets as much coverage as it does.

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
Agreed. No reason for Europeans to go crazy about this tournament when they can watch their own team's propspects play every week for their local team. The WJC therefore is even smaller in Europe than the World Championships is in Canada and the US.

Yeah, and most hockey fans don't really care about the NHL too much so watching other national teams to catch up with who's gonna be the next NHL star just isn't that interesting. And that's why europeans pretty much just support their favourite team and their national team. Watching Canada-Russia in WJC isn't interesting for your average hockey fan here, that's just for the hardcore few.

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
Haha, according to the swedish commentator the canadians have removed all the comfortable furniture from the swedish dressing room as well as equipment like tv's and such before the game. Playing mind games eh?

That's hilarious, but probably not something worthy of a host nation. :laugh:

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004
I say just hold it exclusively in places like Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Maritimes and any other place (Canadian province/American state) that it is likely to sell that doesn't have an NHL franchise. :handclap:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
This whole issue came up back during the first WJC dynasty. Europeans wouldn't care about the tournament since, like other age limit tournaments, its considered to be merely part of the development process. It's the senior national team that has the prominence.

The problem is that doesn't do good for IIHF finances, hence why Canada will host it so many times in the future. The problem may come down to finances, as it would only leave the bigger communities in a position to benefit.

emb24*

This whole issue came up back during the first WJC dynasty. Europeans wouldn't care about the tournament since, like other age limit tournaments, its considered to be merely part of the development process. It's the senior national team that has the prominence.

The problem is that doesn't do good for IIHF finances, hence why Canada will host it so many times in the future. The problem may come down to finances, as it would only leave the bigger communities in a position to benefit.

Europeans should start caring about it. it's a premiere development competitive showcase tourney for world class talent that will FEED the senior national teams.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I say just hold it exclusively in places like Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Maritimes and any other place (Canadian province/American state) that it is likely to sell that doesn't have an NHL franchise. :handclap:

Look at ottawa last year it was a huge success and i am sure edmonton-calgary will aslo be a huge success.I beleave last year ottawa aslo set attendance records as well.I don't see why the event should be excluvisvely in non nhl markets.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Europeans should start caring about it. it's a premiere development competitive showcase tourney for world class talent that will FEED the senior national teams.

The major flaw with your argument is the European logic on development v. the Canadian one.

In Europe, if you are considered a first-rate player in any at sport at 18 or 19, your on the first-team of your club. As such, you wouldn't get selected for a junior side such as the U20's. A U-23 side was far more likely as its competitions were more in line with tournaments at the European level. When one looks at the NBA players that come in through the draft, many of the start players already had some pro experience before they got drafted. In their case, their already juicing the youth system for everything. Hence, there's no real need to take such a tournament as seriously.

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think this tournament should go to Europe once every three years.
The tournament should be held in major cities not in small rural towns.
If you think there is limited interest in this tournament in Europe now,you will have no interest at all if it's held in NA all the time.

Davebo*

I think this tournament should go to Europe once every three years.
The tournament should be held in major cities not in small rural towns.
If you think there is limited interest in this tournament in Europe now,you will have no interest at all if it's held in NA all the time.

If Europeans would learn to live up to their obligations, this tournament would be in Europe THIS YEAR.

So, what say you now?

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto
#1. Profit is shared equally among all teams.

Therefore, it is great when the stands are full and money from tv ratings pour in. The money made from this tournament help teams like Latvia/Kaz/Germany etc for the future. Which is why its great to be in Pool A and lose vs Pool B and win.

Yes, its kinda unfair being in canada but if other markets can be profitable to help all nations then im for it.

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Canada sells way more tickets and has corporations lined up to sponsor the tournament. This means more money for IIHF and a ton of money for Hockey Canada. It's too bad that the tournament isn't more popular else where, but what can you do?

How often are the World Championships played in Canada and the US? That tournament is far more popular overseas and I may be wrong, but it's rarely held in North America - last year was the first I can remember being in Canada in a long time.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Canada sells way more tickets and has corporations lined up to sponsor the tournament. This means more money for IIHF and a ton of money for Hockey Canada. It's too bad that the tournament isn't more popular else where, but what can you do?

How often are the World Championships played in Canada and the US? That tournament is far more popular overseas and I may be wrong, but it's rarely held in North America - last year was the first I can remember being in Canada in a long time.

With the world championship the time of year its held it may be hard to get arenas in north america.

Mihairokov

May 30, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Just posting this here, too:

TOP 11 U20 Attendances Since 2000 (By Average) Location, Total Attendance, Average Attendance
2009 Top Ottawa, Canada 453,282 14,622
2006 Top Kamloops, Kelowna & Vancouver, Canada 325,138 10,488
2003 Top Halifax & Sydney, Canada 231,393 7,464
2005 Top Grand Forks & Thief River Falls, USA 193,256 6,234
2002 Top Pardubice & Hradec Kralove, Czech Rep 111,128 3,628
2008 Top Pardubice & Liberec, Czech Republic 103,179 3,328
2004 Top Helsinki & Hameenlinna, Finland 102,869 3,318
2001 Top Moscow & Podolsk, Russia 82,400 2,423
2003 DIV IA Almaty, Kazakhstan 35,300 2,353
2008 DIV IB Riga, Latvia 33,320 2,221
2007 Top Leksand & Mora, Sweden 63,493 2,048

The thing to remember with these numbers are the sizes of the arenas used. I think we're all aware that the arenas used in Leksand & Mora aren't the same size as what is used in Vancouver or Ottawa. Surely if Sweden held their U20s at the Globe Arena or Scandinavium their numbers would be higher, one would think.

BlackAces*

Yet they depend on southern Ontario to sell out their NHL team. Fine fans compared to most US cities but far from crazy.

I have higher hopes for Buffalo, but you raise good points. I wonder why Minnesota hasn't gotten it, or bid for it?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Look at ottawa last year it was a huge success and i am sure edmonton-calgary will aslo be a huge success.I beleave last year ottawa aslo set attendance records as well.I don't see why the event should be excluvisvely in non nhl markets.

because it's throwing a bone to the places that can't go out and watch the NHL team play. The whole setting attendance records things really started in Winnipeg cause the city needed some hockey to get behind, but then it got bigger and the cities that had NHL teams wanted to jump on board too, but really they already have their NHL teams, let the smaller cities have something every once in a while.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
because it's throwing a bone to the places that can't go out and watch the NHL team play. The whole setting attendance records things really started in Winnipeg cause the city needed some hockey to get behind, but then it got bigger and the cities that had NHL teams wanted to jump on board too, but really they already have their NHL teams, let the smaller cities have something every once in a while.

I agree now and then move it around between small and bigger citys.But don't just say it should not be in nhl citys it does very well there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad