Daly: Teams may not survive

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Daly seems to be throwing teams under the bus

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/10/Lightning/League__Teams_may_not.shtml

"I can't guarantee 30 teams will survive," he said. "I think we are prepared as we can possibly be for that eventuality. But what I would tell you is I think we risk losing far more franchises by doing a deal that doesn't fix the problem than we do by sticking to our guns and making sure we fix the problem."

So if teams have survived to this point, why if teams are losing less money, are they now in such desperate shape they may not survive. Tells me teams are losing more money by not playing. What would be really sad is if Tampa is one of those that doesn't survive.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Crows said:
January 10th 2004?

So what has changed? Nothing that I know of, funny that we are now hearing from a variety of other sources that teams are losing funding from there banks now. Was Daly right in 2004 that the league knew this would happen? Did Daly know through projections that teams wouldn't survive, but has changed his quote to keep fan support? How are fans in Pheonix, where reports are surfacing that the team is in dire financial straights. One question about Pheonix, if they were able to pay off the original purchase price of the team already, how are they losing money????

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050113.wcoyotes13/BNStory/Sports/

Here is another one that states teams are drawing on the warchest. If the league is admitting this, is the fund depleted, Bettman would never admit this to the press as it would give the PA way to much leverage.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/01/27/Sports/warchest050127.html

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
vanlady said:
So what has changed? Nothing that I know of, funny that we are now hearing from a variety of other sources that teams are losing funding from there banks now. Was Daly right in 2004 that the league knew this would happen? Did Daly know through projections that teams wouldn't survive, but has changed his quote to keep fan support? How are fans in Pheonix, where reports are surfacing that the team is in dire financial straights. One question about Pheonix, if they were able to pay off the original purchase price of the team already, how are they losing money????

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050113.wcoyotes13/BNStory/Sports/

Here is another one that states teams are drawing on the warchest. If the league is admitting this, is the fund depleted, Bettman would never admit this to the press as it would give the PA way to much leverage.

If you had a right to $10 million sitting in a bank, would you take it now and invest it as you see fit, or would you take it in small increments over the year as it earns minimal interest?
The point being that just because team are withdrawing their lockout money doesn't mean they're hard up for cash. It's much more likely that they are taking it out to use as they see fit rather than allowing it to sit in an HL bank account.
But hey, if it makes you feel better to believe the owners are hurting and desperate, far be it from me to spoil your fun.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
vanlady said:

ok, so now maybe you understand that the NHL is actually losing a ton of money, more with hockey than without

look at the stance they have taken...this should prove to you that the NHL's troubles are very real

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
likea said:
ok, so now maybe you understand that the NHL is actually losing a ton of money, more with hockey than without

look at the stance they have taken...this should prove to you that the NHL's troubles are very real

Oh I have no doubt that the NHL is in the hole, but climbing out. And that it is smart business that got them in the hole not player salaries. Last year the NHL lost 50 million less than the year before, why will let's start with the Coyotes who are paying 15 million a year less for there arena than they were the year before in a lease or Floridas 12 million dollar refinancing of there arena. Remember there have been 10 arenas built since 98 and through the 90's at least 10 more. Sixteen of the 30 arenas to date are privately financed and any move to refinance these would add huge dollars to the bottom line. Eliminate factors such as arenas and dollar issues and I think you will see a much differenct picture.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
vanlady said:
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/10/Lightning/League__Teams_may_not.shtml
"I can't guarantee 30 teams will survive," he said. "I think we are prepared as we can possibly be for that eventuality. But what I would tell you is I think we risk losing far more franchises by doing a deal that doesn't fix the problem than we do by sticking to our guns and making sure we fix the problem."...
This is just one more clear explanation of why a salary cap is necessary and a demonstration of the league's resolve to achieve it.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
vanlady said:

"Tells me teams are losing more money by not playing"

It would be a good idea to just admit you did not know this was over a year old. Your post was predicated on the idea that teams are losing more money by not playing. Well since the quote is so old that it has zero to do with how teams are doing without playing your post has no basis.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
vanlady said:
So if teams have survived to this point, why if teams are losing less money, are they now in such desperate shape they may not survive. Tells me teams are losing more money by not playing. What would be really sad is if Tampa is one of those that doesn't survive.

They're not desperate, but they don't want to pay overhead, with no chance of realizing any profit. They can afford to absorb a loss and that loss is more affordable if it's made less by not playing. But there's also the concept of cutting ones losses to move on to more profitable ventures.

The longer the lockout continues the more appealing that may become. Why lose any money, if the team can be folded or made dormant, and lose none? If this season is lost, there may be some owners that will consider that. It's a bottom line decision. Does an owner continue to spend $3-5 million to keep a franchise alive while waiting for a CBA or does he close it down and invest that money in something else?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
futurcorerock said:
Can somebody close this thread, please... its moot point to talk about year-old scare tactics

If you can find a statement from Daly, the NHL, or any owner contradicting the article, it will be considered moot.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Buffaloed said:
They're not desperate, but they don't want to pay overhead, with no chance of realizing any profit. They can afford to absorb a loss and that loss is more affordable if it's made less by not playing. But there's also the concept of cutting ones losses to move on to more profitable ventures.

The longer the lockout continues the more appealing that may become. Why lose any money, if the team can be folded or made dormant, and lose none? If this season is lost, there may be some owners that will consider that. It's a bottom line decision. Does an owner continue to spend $3-5 million to keep a franchise alive while waiting for a CBA or does he close it down and invest that money in something else?

No one can convince me that any team has "no chance" of making a profit. In 97/98 the Canucks were losing money and in a downward cycle. Today they are making 25 million. Every team has a profit cycle, the difference is the owners want profits to come constantly and instantly, no matter how badly they manage there team.

Funny the business editor for espn.com doesn't agree with you. And recent articles about other teams lead me to beleive where there is smoke there is fire. Let's face it, the owners don't want the players to know just how bad it is, or you give the players instant leverage.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Hockeyfan02 said:
This article was published over a year ago if you didnt know so these comments arent recent.

:handclap:

"ooh ooh ooh, I found this article that proves teams are not losing less money by playing..."

Vanlady punk'd herself. :lol:

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
PecaFan said:
:handclap:

"ooh ooh ooh, I found this article that proves teams are not losing less money by playing..."

Vanlady punk'd herself. :lol:

Opps typo, I know you are perfect and have never had one of those. :shakehead

Next time do try and stick to topic.

SENSible1*

Guess the PA should hurry up and sign the deal before they lose any jobs.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
vanlady said:
Opps typo, I know you are perfect and have never had one of those. :shakehead

Next time do try and stick to topic.
I cannot figure out what a typo has to do with this? You simply totally misinterpreted the quotes meaning and you based a thread on your mistake. So now what exactly is the topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad