News Article: Daly on transparency of the draft lottery

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Isn't it odd that since 2005, three generational talents (Crosby, McDavid, Eichel) have been available at the top of two drafts, and prior to both of those drafts, the NHL has changed the lottery rules? Why might that be?
Um...because they had to change the rules in 2005 because they didn't play the season the year prior?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
First off, it was a joke. But let's take it a step further. They are also economic advisors, advising their clients on how to make the most profit. I don't think I need to spell out how this is a conflict of interest.

No. Not what auditor's do, at all.

And NHL is losing out on publicity. Any other league with a draft class like this and it'd be a 2 hour special. NHL fails to capitalize on another marketing/publicity level. Wish they'd shoot for more.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Um...because they had to change the rules in 2005 because they didn't play the season the year prior?
Why couldn't they use the seedings from the previous season? I understand that means Pitt would have drafted #1 overall anyway.. It's just odd that they felt they had to change the odds.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Number assignments to be posted on NHL.com tomorrow, followed of course by the actual drawing on Saturday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=762892

I request....no, i DEMAND they make all 30 GMs sit around with bingo boards with their numbers on them. Nobody gets McDavid till they shout BINGO and bring the winning board up to front to claim him.

Also, Connor McDavid needs to be sitting on a table awaiting to be claimed.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Why couldn't they use the seedings from the previous season? I understand that means Pitt would have drafted #1 overall anyway.. It's just odd that they felt they had to change the odds.

Why should teams that only sucked one year be rewarded with the best odds and best draft position two years in a row?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Maybe I'll attempt to not follow the interwebz at all and then watch the lottery video when it's posted so I can experience what the lotto show should be? :laugh:

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I don't really see why people want some kind of massive special done for the lottery, it's literally a 30 second ball drop and everybody goes home.

Stretching it out into some massive program would be annoying as hell.

Also, while people on this forum are obviously interested in prospects and upcoming draft, most "average" hockey fans that I know/talk to barely have any idea of ANY of them in any year, let alone this year where "McEichel" talk has basically served to confuse people as to the name of the actual prospects.

I don't think the NHL is losing out on much here, maybe you could push a 30 min show, but honestly I'd only think that would work if was part of the actual Draft day or just before it, which would probably make GM's unhappy. :dunno:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't really see why people want some kind of massive special done for the lottery, it's literally a 30 second ball drop and everybody goes home.

Stretching it out into some massive program would be annoying as hell.

Also, while people on this forum are obviously interested in prospects and upcoming draft, most "average" hockey fans that I know/talk to barely have any idea of ANY of them in any year, let alone this year where "McEichel" talk has basically served to confuse people as to the name of the actual prospects.

I don't think the NHL is losing out on much here, maybe you could push a 30 min show, but honestly I'd only think that would work if was part of the actual Draft day or just before it, which would probably make GM's unhappy. :dunno:

so...many...jokes

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just to be clear, the only televised portion is the opening of the envelopes? Then numbers popping up out of a machine will be posted on the website?

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Just to be clear, the only televised portion is the opening of the envelopes? Then numbers popping up out of a machine will be posted on the website?

Correct

Also I wish they wouldn't even make a show about it. Make it more like a special news bulletin. During intermission they break to Bettman saying, "The results of the 2015 draft lottery are in. Congratulations to the Buffalo Sabres who have won and will have the #1 overall pick. Good luck to all teams in the draft, now enjoy the rest of the game."

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I believe so.

In other news, McTankel needs a new avatar...

Yeah, I've been really busy with work and I'll be in Arizona all next week (please don't let the 'Yotes win the lottery so that I have to explain to them who Connor McDavid is). I'll start working on it in earnest (i.e., trying to convince cybresabre to help me make the avatar) upon my return.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Correct

Also I wish they wouldn't even make a show about it. Make it more like a special news bulletin. During intermission they break to Bettman saying, "The results of the 2015 draft lottery are in. Congratulations to the Buffalo Sabres who have won and will have the #1 overall pick. Good luck to all teams in the draft, now enjoy the rest of the game."

Or,

"The results of the 2015 draft lottery are inn. Like a hotel or sumpthin, tss tss."

radar493

Mar 26, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks the draft lottery is just a way to keep non playoff team fans interested as a bridge to the draft. I like the way football does it but I guess we followed the NBA instead.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Yeah, I've been really busy with work and I'll be in Arizona all next week (please don't let the 'Yotes win the lottery so that I have to explain to them who Connor McDavid is). I'll start working on it in earnest (i.e., trying to convince cybresabre to help me make the avatar) upon my return.

I'll be in Costa Rica until next Friday anyways, so no worries. Also, go easy on me. :laugh:

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
First off, it was a joke. But let's take it a step further. They are also economic advisors, advising their clients on how to make the most profit. I don't think I need to spell out how this is a conflict of interest.

No, they're accountants...

There's a big difference between economists, accountants and bankers.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
so basically if I'm going to be watching the opening of the envelopes on NBCSN (or whatever station), I should avoid all social media and message boards in the hour leading up to it in order to keep the suspense?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Just heard on WGR that Ted Black will be among the NHL team representatives in the room where the actual draft lottery drawing will be held. Tim Murray will represent the Sabres in the on-air revealing of which team wins McDavid.

That ends any notions of the lottery fixing conspiracy IMO.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
so basically if I'm going to be watching the opening of the envelopes on NBCSN (or whatever station), I should avoid all social media and message boards in the hour leading up to it in order to keep the suspense?

The results of the lottery most likely won't be revealed until the televised portion of the night.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Just heard on WGR that Ted Black will be among the NHL team representatives in the room where the actual draft lottery drawing will be held. Tim Murray will represent the Sabres in the on-air revealing of which team wins McDavid.

That ends any notions of the lottery fixing conspiracy IMO.

There shouldn't really be any anyways. Ole Gary just works for the owners. He's not some dictator making every damn decision about the league. Do we really think one Terry Pegula whose dropped a boatload of cash into this venture would stand aside and let them just plot the best player since Crosby somewhere at their choosng to help the growth of the game.

I;m just using Pegs as the example, no other teams owner/management would be for it (other then the chosen team).

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
There's a big difference between economists, accountants and bankers.
They all LOOK the same to me!

I beg to differ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...000-euro-week-dressing-Nazi-whipping-men.html

Substantial penalty for early withdrawal :naughty:

I really need to see the Saturday copy of the NY Post being held up in front of the ping-pong machine in that video before I believe the drawing wasn't held yesterday, and the combinations released today for the announcement tomorrow.

icon.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad