News Article: Daly on transparency of the draft lottery

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Correct

Also I wish they wouldn't even make a show about it. Make it more like a special news bulletin. During intermission they break to Bettman saying, "The results of the 2015 draft lottery are in. Congratulations to the Buffalo Sabres who have won and will have the #1 overall pick. Good luck to all teams in the draft, now enjoy the rest of the game."

it seems as though this would be the most logical. Can anyone answer this for me?

So every year, they've opened envelopes counting down from 14 to 1. Last year for example they opened each teams envelope in descending order, and finally after 3, they went straight to 1, to show the winner. Now, if they were to do the same thing this year, how will they keep suspense if, say, the #5 team wins the lottery. As soon as you get to the 5th pick and Carolina is not picking, and instead it is Toronto, we will know exactly who ended up with #1. As soon as there is that break in the sequence, we'll know who won it, as long as its not #1 or #2. So it would seem, if they just announced the 1st pick like that would make the most sense :dunno:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
it seems as though this would be the most logical. Can anyone answer this for me?

So every year, they've opened envelopes counting down from 14 to 1. Last year for example they opened each teams envelope in descending order, and finally after 3, they went straight to 1, to show the winner. Now, if they were to do the same thing this year, how will they keep suspense if, say, the #5 team wins the lottery. As soon as you get to the 5th pick and Carolina is not picking, and instead it is Toronto, we will know exactly who ended up with #1. As soon as there is that break in the sequence, we'll know who won it, as long as its not #1 or #2. So it would seem, if they just announced the 1st pick like that would make the most sense :dunno:

The thing is, everything you say was just as true last year. All that changes this year are the odds. They still went with the envelope presentation last year even though there was a good chance someone outside of the last couple teams would've won, killing suspense.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
What they should do is first, announce three of the four numbers that were drawn.

Then, show a 10-minute montage of sick highlights from Eichel and McDavid's games over the past couple of years, set to throbbing techno music.

Finally, cut back to Daly sititng at the desk, and have him open just one envelope - the winner of the #1 pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
so basically if I'm going to be watching the opening of the envelopes on NBCSN (or whatever station), I should avoid all social media and message boards in the hour leading up to it in order to keep the suspense?

I'm fairly certain that the representatives observing the lottery are forced to stay in the room until after the televised portion. I would bet their phones and other communication devices are taken away from them during that time, as well.

If that happens, they should just say, for instance, "That means that the Columbus Blue Jackets have won the lottery and will select 1st overall" and open that #1 envelope. Then just finishing opening the other envelopes.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
I'm fairly certain that the representatives observing the lottery are forced to stay in the room until after the televised portion. I would bet their phones and other communication devices are taken away from them during that time, as well.

Okay. I could have sworn I read somewhere that they'd be webcasting the actual drawing on NHL.com, but I could very well be mistaken.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They released previously that that is exactly what is going to happen.

[spoil]The NHL doesn't want any spoilers[/spoil]

Olaf Fub

Aug 23, 2005
Buffalo, NY
The fan hysteria, as Daly put it, is the NHL's fault. They have had the lottery for what, twenty years and this is the first that I've heard about the process.

I was fairly certain the process was audited. I've tried several times over the last two years to find an article on the internet to confirm it. I couldn't find any.

I'm glad that Sabre fan e-mailed Daly. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the whole reason why we're finally hearing about how the lottery works and what are the safeguards. Normally, organizations make a point to stress this information, to a fault, to avoid, as the cliché goes, a hint of impropriety.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

The thing is, everything you say was just as true last year. All that changes this year are the odds. They still went with the envelope presentation last year even though there was a good chance someone outside of the last couple teams would've won, killing suspense.

Well, the odds and the result. McDavid/Eichel is far more intriguing than your favorite two of Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl/Bennett.

I've thought about this, from a broadcast standpoint I think the best way to show the #1/#2 drama is to reveal #2 first. As LGB24 said, if you just go from 14 to 1 and someone outside the top two wins, it becomes formulaic as soon as that spot is revealed. If #2 is the first envelope opened then the drama first centers around "Buffalo or someone else?" Arizona comes out and we know it's the Sabres, but if Buffalo comes out, then it's 13 possible teams and the broadcast can play off that.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
"Doesn't make interesting television." I've been glued to the lottery simulator for days.

The NHL is so out of touch with its fans.

This is the same league that thinks there's little to no fan interest in a capgeek type website.

monktbd

Powahlin
Oct 27, 2006
Habs territory
Best way would be to open non winners first in a randomized way weighting it by their chance to actually not win. The winner would be the last envelope.
So the chance to open the bruins - if they did not win - first would be highest, the ones who pick second lowest but the winner would always be last.
Like this you really have tension until the second last envelope is opened as that envelope could still be any of the 14 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad