Dalton Smith

iwtb*

Now after Malone is hopefully gone after this season, could this guy be our fourth liner? The guy we picked on the trade deadline. And before you say we need no goons or enforcers, let me tell you something. If we lose all our players who stand up for their team mates, other team's players will just run over our superstars. Think about Detroit Red Wings. What did they do when Gudas knocked Franzen out for 3 weeks? What did they do when Gudas headhunted Nyquist for the whole game? What did they do when Engelland hit Abdelkader to the head? What did they do when McLeod boarded Kronwall?

Yes. They did absolutely nothing. Do you want to see that happen to our players?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I don't think he is NHL material just yet. Our forward linup has not much holes where non NHL players could force there way into the lineup.
The only one (outside of Connolly who must stay) that I can see getting time early on in the season is Paquette. The organization and Cooper seem to love him and I absolutly see why. He has work to do, but he has a whole summer to work at it.

That said if Smith improves a little over the summer I could see him getting some games later next season and he might be able to push Crombeen out of the team come next summer. I belief Smith can and will be a decent option for a 13th forward, but I am not sure if he will ever be more. However he seems to be one of those few guys who could make a living out of being the 13th guy in the NHL. Just like Colin Fraser for example.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Well Nacho made the team out of camp this past year, so it's not impossible for a guy like Dalton Smith too either.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
detroit fan saying they have enforcers on the way. They also targeted in last draft the physical defenders who fight over solid two way defenders for the first time in a long time.

You dont need enforcers so much as a gritty team mentality. Think of a pack of wolves.

I get you saying what your saying but sooner or later detroit will stand up to something they just havent yet. The same thing can be said about tampa.

Cooper is not a big retaliation guy. I thought we made as a team though tremendous strides in the last couple of months of the season in team chemistry and fighting for one another or sticking together when crap happened and stopping the goalie runnings.

Now we waited too long for that chemistry to develop and handle situations but we are a young team. It will work itself out over time.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Angelidis is ahead of him atm and was supposed to actually be up with the big club at a few points this past season but it didn't work out the way they had hoped.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Angelidis is ahead of him atm and was supposed to actually be up with the big club at a few points this past season but it didn't work out the way they had hoped.

Not surprising. Wasn't Angelidis around a lot longer than anyone expected in camp? And I seem to remember Cooper absolutely raving about the guy in a very general-raving-about-a-soldier type of way.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hes your typical heart and soul type. Big enough body to be a solid bottom six guy, decent hands, great leader, worlds biggest cheerleader, etc etc...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hes your typical heart and soul type. Big enough body to be a solid bottom six guy, decent hands, great leader, worlds biggest cheerleader, etc etc...

Could be an upgrade on what Malone turned out to be this year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Hasn't Paquette passed over Angeledis? I can't see Mike getting a call up if we have Cedric on the team.

I haven't seen Smith play but from what I've read he's still a few years away. Don't think he's anywhere close to Malone in skills, can't see more then a 4th liner. He's a tougher more skilled, not by a lot, Crombeen. When BJ's contract is up Dalton will take his spot.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Smith is only 21 with lots of room to improve. If he can be consistent in a simplified role, I could see him panning out similarly to players like Reaves and Bollig (if not better) not too far down the road.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Hasn't Paquette passed over Angeledis? I can't see Mike getting a call up if we have Cedric on the team.

I haven't seen Smith play but from what I've read he's still a few years away. Don't think he's anywhere close to Malone in skills, can't see more then a 4th liner. He's a tougher more skilled, not by a lot, Crombeen. When BJ's contract is up Dalton will take his spot.

Not really. Different players, different potential roles.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Im lost right now, I was comparing Paquette to Angeledis and Smith to Crombeen not which two are the best of the 4. Paquette is better then Angeledis so I don't see us giving Angeledis NHL time with Paquette up and Thompson healthy. Smith and Crombeen are similar in that they're gonna be NHL player's because they bring a physical presence and can fight. I thought Smith was better offensively then he was so I give the edge to Crombeen in that regard, I can't see how he can be any worse then Crombeen at fighting so he wins that part. He's still a few years out and maybe he can make offensive strides to be able to chip in 10 points a year.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The issue is, you're comparing the guys to one another which isn't what you should look at. Pacquette has the ability to potentially be a 10-20 goal, third line two-way player. Think another Dom Moore, could play in the top six in an absolute pinch but not really terribly well, but will give you grit, scoring ability, possession, and will have his moments of brilliance.

Angelidis is going to be more of your "Mikey, go change the rhythm of this game" guy, responsible, big body, hit anything that has a pulse, but doesn't have complete **** for hands.

It doesn't have to be either/or, guys.

Oh and Smith I wouldn't worry about for a while.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The issue is, you're comparing the guys to one another which isn't what you should look at. Pacquette has the ability to potentially be a 10-20 goal, third line two-way player. Think another Dom Moore, could play in the top six in an absolute pinch but not really terribly well, but will give you grit, scoring ability, possession, and will have his moments of brilliance.

Angelidis is going to be more of your "Mikey, go change the rhythm of this game" guy, responsible, big body, hit anything that has a pulse, but doesn't have complete **** for hands.

It doesn't have to be either/or, guys.

Oh and Smith I wouldn't worry about for a while.

The reason I'm comparing the two is because they're going to be competing with each other for the possible last forward spot next year. I'd give the spot to Paquette because of the upside like you said. It's gonna be the same way with Connolly and Kucherov, they're completely different players but since they'll be fighting for 3rd line RW spot we'll compare them to decide who we'd prefer.

I think Crombeen has two years left on his deal if he doesn't get moved, I'd assume Smith would be ready by then?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The reason I'm comparing the two is because they're going to be competing with each other for the possible last forward spot next year. I'd give the spot to Paquette because of the upside like you said. It's gonna be the same way with Connolly and Kucherov, they're completely different players but since they'll be fighting for 3rd line RW spot we'll compare them to decide who we'd prefer.

I think Crombeen has two years left on his deal if he doesn't get moved, I'd assume Smith would be ready by then?

I understand what you're saying, and i'm not entirely sure they're in competition with one another just yet.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Smith needs at least another year in the AHL. Angelidis is a leadership guy along the lines of Konopka. If the team is looking to replace Malone and/ or Crombeen, best bet is going to be free agency as there is no one in the system ready to play that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad