Dalpe Down - Tim Wallace Recalled

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Still, besides Staal and SKinner, who is scoring? Oh yeah, Dalpe's replacement, Pat Dwyer. Who will see 1.5 periods at best, on a top line tonight before being replaced by Chad LaRose.

All of this is being used as a distraction from the dumpster that is our blueline corps!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Somebody has to play in that spot, right? Who is better suited for it on the current roster, besides Jokinen?

Why do you say Dalpe better suited than others? What I've seen in the games I've seen doesn't show me that. I don't think he's "bad" as he hasn't done anything to really hurt the team, but he hasn't produced and hasn't done other things to warrant keeping him there IMO. Maybe they just want him to go down and find his scoring touch, gain some confidence and they'll call him back? Seems like a lot of over-reaction to me.

I wouldn't either under normal circumstances. If mgmt is serious about making the playoffs they need to commit to one of these young guys as a top-6 forward or trade for an established one.

I don't agree. There are other options (such as sign a veteran 3C and move Jussi up). In the end, no matter who they put in that winger slot, if this team doesn't improve their special teams and get some consistency from Ward in goal, they won't make the playoffs. Complaining about sending Dalpe (who isn't contributing much) down 7 games in seems to me to be focusing on something that is way down on the priority list.

PP, PK, Goaltending, Defense, physical play, and overall Secondary scoring (after Skinner/Staal) are things that need addressing before getting too worked up about Dalpe.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Oh come on....Dwyer has 2 goals in 7 games, they came 5 games apart and were both in blowout losses late in the game well after the other team had taken its foot off the gas. Let's not get crazy now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oh come on....Dwyer has 2 goals in 7 games, they came 5 games apart and were both in blowout losses late in the game well after the other team had taken its foot off the gas. Let's not get crazy now.

How many games apart have the goals by Semin, Tlusty, J. Staal, Dalpe, Bowman, LaRose, Jokinen, and Brent been? :sarcasm:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Why do you say Dalpe better suited than others? What I've seen in the games I've seen doesn't show me that. I don't think he's "bad" as he hasn't done anything to really hurt the team, but he hasn't produced and hasn't done other things to warrant keeping him there IMO. Maybe they just want him to go down and find his scoring touch, gain some confidence and they'll call him back? Seems like a lot of over-reaction to me.

Just to be clear, it's not like I love Dalpe or anything. I don't give two craps whether its Dalpe or LaRose or Bowman or Dwyer or Bates Battaglia there, but they've got to pick somebody. Dalpe's skills at least seemed to mesh with the other guys on that line, which is why I'm having such a hard time figuring out the thought process.

Getting a decent 3rd line center and moving Jokinen up seems as good a solution as any. Wonder if there's anybody available that remotely fits the bill.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
How many games apart have the goals by Semin, Tlusty, J. Staal, Dalpe, Bowman, LaRose, Jokinen, and Brent been? :sarcasm:

If we're rolling with that kind of logic, then Dwyer's a first liner, Gleason should be on the third pairing and Jokinen should be put on waivers. :sarcasm:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Dalpe got sent down because he's the only one that wouldn't have to clear waivers. Wallace is up because Muller is sick of watching the collection of charming soft pansies that are the Carolina Hurricanes. The Flyers ran the Hurricanes out of the building with their physical play, and the Bruins would have too if they didn't forget they were playing for that 1:30 stretch in the 2nd. Does it suck that it's at Dalpe's expense, yes, but what can you do. Muller obviously doesn't trust him in his own zone and that line already has Skinner contributing nothing defensively.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Dalpe's skills at least seemed to mesh with the other guys on that line, which is why I'm having such a hard time figuring out the thought process.

There could be a few things.

1) Maybe they want that line to be a bit more defensively responsible. They haven't been great in their own zone so if they aren't scoring, then Muller may want them to be better defensively as well. Having both Dalpe and Skinner on that line makes it difficult to put Jordan out against other teams top lines.

2) Maybe as I said, they want Dalpe to go down, score a few goals, work on his game a bit and get some confidence back and they'll call him back up shortly. Remember they did that with Faulk last year when he struggled.

3) Maybe after seeing how the Canes reacted against physical teams like Boston and Philly, he wants to try and mix things up a bit. Dalpe CAN be sent down without clearing waivers, so he's really the only choice in this case.

Anyhow, IMO, the Canes have much bigger fish to fry than Dalpe and that winger spot. I don't see a problem with this move and will wait to see how things play out over the coming weeks before over-reacting to it.

EDIT: Looks like Joe beat me to it with a lot of the same points.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Dalpe got sent down because he's the only one that wouldn't have to clear waivers. Wallace is up because Muller is sick of watching the collection of charming soft pansies that are the Carolina Hurricanes. The Flyers ran the Hurricanes out of the building with their physical play, and the Bruins would have too if they didn't forget they were playing for that 1:30 stretch in the 2nd. Does it suck that it's at Dalpe's expense, yes, but what can you do. Muller obviously doesn't trust him in his own zone and that line already has Skinner contributing nothing defensively.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Nice call.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
There could be a few things.

1) Maybe they want that line to be a bit more defensively responsible. They haven't been great in their own zone so if they aren't scoring, then Muller may want them to be better defensively as well. Having both Dalpe and Skinner on that line makes it difficult to put Jordan out against other teams top lines.

2) Maybe as I said, they want Dalpe to go down, score a few goals, work on his game a bit and get some confidence back and they'll call him back up shortly. Remember they did that with Faulk last year when he struggled.

3) Maybe after seeing how the Canes reacted against physical teams like Boston and Philly, he wants to try and mix things up a bit. Dalpe CAN be sent down without clearing waivers, so he's really the only choice in this case.

Anyhow, IMO, the Canes have much bigger fish to fry than Dalpe and that winger spot. I don't see a problem with this move and will wait to see how things play out over the coming weeks before over-reacting to it.

As much as I was upset/confused yesterday about this, it makes a lot of sense. I just wish we had a spot for Dalpe to stay and improve in the NHL. But if they are not going to let him play up here, they need to send them back to work on his game and get his scoring touch back (hopefully with a full season next year he will finally make the club for the full season if he doesn't come back this year). If Wallace can help out forechecking and with that second lines defense, then I trust the coaching staffs decision (in this instance).

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Is it just me or does this make the Boychuk move look even dumber?

It is from the perspective that we have 22 men on the roster, so there wasn't a need to send Boychuk down to make room for Nodl or Wallace if Dalpe was going down to Charlotte.

OTOH, you still have the issue of Boychuk sitting in the press box without being used. If Dalpe was sent down to bring up Wallace, then Boychuk isn't cracking the lineup in place of Dalpe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad