Dalpe Down - Tim Wallace Recalled

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
Interesting move - Dalpe has not looked that bad playing with Skinner and Jordan. Could this move make it easier to put Jussi on the 2nd line?

Canes Recall Tim Wallace from Charlotte
Zac Dalpe reassigned to Checkers
Sunday, 02.03.2013 / 5:00 PM / News
By Ken Preston

Email
Comment Print RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Tim Wallace from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rutherford also announced that forward Zac Dalpe has been reassigned to Charlotte.
Wallace, 28, has notched nine goals and earned 11 assists (20 points) in 43 games this season with Charlotte. The Anchorage, AK, native has scored three goals and earned eight assists (11 points) in 73 career NHL regular-season games with Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and the New York Islanders. Wallace (6’1â€, 207 lbs.) is in his seventh professional season and his first season with Carolina after signing with the Hurricanes as a free agent on July 19, 2012.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Other than calling it another sign of complete player mis-management, I guess this helps a struggling Charlotte team who has lost their 4 best players.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Interesting move - Dalpe has not looked that bad playing with Skinner and Jordan. Could this move make it easier to put Jussi on the 2nd line?

Canes Recall Tim Wallace from Charlotte
Zac Dalpe reassigned to Checkers
Sunday, 02.03.2013 / 5:00 PM / News
By Ken Preston

Email
Comment Print RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Tim Wallace from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rutherford also announced that forward Zac Dalpe has been reassigned to Charlotte.
Wallace, 28, has notched nine goals and earned 11 assists (20 points) in 43 games this season with Charlotte. The Anchorage, AK, native has scored three goals and earned eight assists (11 points) in 73 career NHL regular-season games with Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and the New York Islanders. Wallace (6’1â€, 207 lbs.) is in his seventh professional season and his first season with Carolina after signing with the Hurricanes as a free agent on July 19, 2012.

If the recall was Welsh, Nash, or Sutter I'd agree. Not enough centers to move Juice with this roster.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Other than calling it another sign of complete player mis-management, I guess this helps a struggling Charlotte team who has lost their 4 best players.

What was mis-managed? Dalpe was playing well in Charlotte, was racking up points, and was placed in a position to succeed with good linemates on the Hurricanes. He failed to produce.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
It's obvious that the problem with Dalpe/Boychuk is that they weren't the faceless grinder that JR and Kirk Maurice want to skate in a straight line, dump the puck in the corner, apply some token forechecking pressure and then head off on a line change. They couldn't conform to the standards after years of Jeff Daniels with the prospect graveyard, so it's obvious it was never going to happen.

Any team that has Dwyer, Bowman, Brent, Nodl, Wallace and LaRose in the lineup at the same time is managed by ****ing Pejorative Slurs.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
What was mis-managed? Dalpe was playing well in Charlotte, was racking up points, and was placed in a position to succeed with good linemates on the Hurricanes. He failed to produce.

Given equal opportunities, which player has the better chance of scoring at the NHL level, Wallace or Dalpe?

Point made. Wallace is 4th line fodder, and nothing more. At least Dalpe played like he belonged in the top 6, But just like 4 other of the top 6 forwards, he wasn't scoring!

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
He played 11 minutes a game with no powerplay time. He had good linemates but was also repeatedly benched in favor of more "defensively responsible" players. It seemed like every third shift someone else was on that line.

Given his ice time I don't think 2 points in 6 games is a failure to produce. LaRose, Jokinen and Bowman have all played more put have 0 points, with the first two of them getting PP time.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Given equal opportunities, which player has the better chance of scoring at the NHL level, Wallace or Dalpe?

Point made. Wallace is 4th line fodder, and nothing more. At least Dalpe played like he belonged in the top 6, But just like 4 other of the top 6 forwards, he wasn't scoring!

I'd agree with you if Wallace was replacing Dalpe on the 2nd line. I'll eat my hat if he does. In fact, I'll eat all of them, and I have a lot of hats.

And, to your point of Dalpe not scoring just like other top 6-ers, well, he's never scored in that role at the NHL level and everyone else has. That must be what's causing the demotion. Muller obviously is going to throw LaRose or Jokinen up on the 2nd line and have Wallace on the 3rd or 4th line.

I guess I don't see your "mis-management" label, I see it as line juggling.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
He played 11 minutes a game with no powerplay time. He had good linemates but was also repeatedly benched in favor of more "defensively responsible" players. It seemed like every third shift someone else was on that line.

Given his ice time I don't think 2 points in 6 games is a failure to produce. LaRose, Jokinen and Bowman have all played more put have 0 points, with the first two of them getting PP time.

You act like young players all over the league with no history of scoring at the NHL level have longer ropes than Dalpe (and Boychuk for that matter). They don't.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
If the recall was Welsh, Nash, or Sutter I'd agree. Not enough centers to move Juice with this roster.

Not necessarily.

That 2nd line needs a playmaker, which Dalpe isn't. It's obvious to everyone Jussi is playing a position he'll rather not play. He's played with Skinner and has chemistry with him. Why not make the switch?

Brent can move up and center the 3rd line. The 4th line plays what 3-4 minutes a night. You can easily double shift the Staal's on that line.

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Skinner-JStaal-Jokinen
Bowman-Brent-LaRose/Dwyer
Wallace/Westgarth/LaRose/Dwyer

But moving Jokinen up to that 2nd line makes too much sense, so I'm just off base here :laugh:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I wish it was Jokinen being moved up, but it's just too much of a Carolina thing to move up LaRose instead. It's a shame Semin is the only top6er who's a righty. We're forced to put incompetent players in the top6 just to make up for that deficiency. I also think Muller will be hesitant to move Jokinen after his success on the faceoffs. I understand winning them is important, but if you were to tell me I had to choose between the player being effective offensively vs. having them winning faceoffs and not being effective offensively, I'd choose #1 no questions asked (I understand this is not a 2 case scenario, but that's the only way I can word myself). What we really need is for JR to notice that the offense is suffering without a true 3C, and it would flourish, imo, if Jussi was where he is supposed to be. Don't know if that's in his mental capacity though. We all know how terrible he is at forming a defense.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Meanwhile, deep in the bowels of the PNC Center...

CanesGMWheel_zps87146eb8.jpg

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I guess if you are a young forward in this organization and you do not come up and light the league on fire (Skinner) then you have no place on the team.

Simple as that. Wonder if the Pens will jettison Boychuk. He has played 2 games without registering a point.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
i think dalpe should have stayed up but there is probably a need for wallace if he will hit and not get embarrassed out there but not at the expense of dalpe--dalpe was noticable out there and the points would have come just needed a little more time to gel/click unlike some others we have had apply-dalpe was by far the best of a weak lot--but bottom line we have less than zero depth!

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
This thread is full of all sort of lulz. Eating hats? Long ropes? Jokinen at wing :sarcasm:?

I love this move. Dalpe has shown short strides as an NHL top 6 winger, but not enough in a condensed season. Wallace is a bottom 6 dude who can lay the body and provide some offense. I actually prefer seeing DWYER on the 2nd line with Skinner and Staal. He made the most of the one powerplay chance he got and was fed a beautiful one time pass from Jstaal. They both are killer on be PK as well.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't get this move. Dalpe was playing pretty well on that line and it was clicking. Unless they're planning to move Jokinen to the 2nd line it's just sabotaging the offense.

This would all look a little better if Ruutu wasn't out, I guess.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I said this a couple of games ago, but I'm not sure what people saw in Dalpe that warranted a top 6 spot. Sure he's fast, but the games I saw, he was pretty much non-existent. Is it really that big of a deal to send him down to the AHL to work on his game some more?

I'm not saying Wallace is the answer, but I have no problem with Dalpe going to the AHL to work on his game more. As bad as the team's defensive core is, this team has 2 guys who have shown they can score. Dwyer has more goals then every forward not named Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner combined. Dalpe isn't producing on the 2nd line and doesn't help either special team, and as noted, the Canes are 26th in PP% and 27th in PK%.

In order for the team to be a playoff team, The PP and PK need to at least be respectable. As someone else said, the Canes would probably be 4-3 or 5-2 if they were even decent on special teams.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not necessarily.

That 2nd line needs a playmaker, which Dalpe isn't. It's obvious to everyone Jussi is playing a position he'll rather not play. He's played with Skinner and has chemistry with him. Why not make the switch?

Brent can move up and center the 3rd line. The 4th line plays what 3-4 minutes a night. You can easily double shift the Staal's on that line.

Tlusty-EStaal-Semin
Skinner-JStaal-Jokinen
Bowman-Brent-LaRose/Dwyer
Wallace/Westgarth/LaRose/Dwyer

But moving Jokinen up to that 2nd line makes too much sense, so I'm just off base here :laugh:

The problem I have with this setup is that Brent is at best an average 4th line center. Moving him up to the third line makes an unproductive 3rd line into a trash heap. What I don't understand is that the team has been just fine 5 on 5 since game 3, it's the special teams that blow. Is Wallace going to kill penalties? Obviously Muller wants someone who might accidentally hit someone on his team, so maybe that's all.

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh

Perhaps this is Kirk Muller getting a bit more say in player decisions that prior coaches? The guys that are promoted, if they aren't producing, are getting moved/sent back down.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing, given the lack of production. Create space and opportunities for more guys to step up.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I said this a couple of games ago, but I'm not sure what people saw in Dalpe that warranted a top 6 spot.

Somebody has to play in that spot, right? Who is better suited for it on the current roster, besides Jokinen?

but I have no problem with Dalpe going to the AHL to work on his game more.

I wouldn't either under normal circumstances. If mgmt is serious about making the playoffs they need to commit to one of these young guys as a top-6 forward or trade for an established one. Again, I think losing Ruutu hurt this team a lot more than anybody realized at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad