Dallas Stars Top 20 prospects provide NHL options

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
julius_honka_dallas_092614.jpg
Photo: Dallas Stars top prospect Julius Honka had the rare experience of playing in the AHL as a teenager (courtesy of Mark LoMoglio/Icon Sportswire)

</p> Movement abounds in the newest Dallas Stars Top 20 list. The acquisitions of Mattias Backman, Mattias Janmark and, most recently, Stephen Johns all make their respective impacts while two 2015 draft picks make the list as well. Meanwhile, three defensemen graduate the prospects list for regular NHL duty: John Klingberg, Jamie Oleksiak and Jyrki Jokipakka. The Stars also bid adieu to Ludwig Karlsson and 2009 top ten pick Scott Glennie, neither of whom received a qualifying offer.… read more

The post Dallas Stars Top 20 prospects provide NHL options appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Whoa, didn't expect Ully to be that high or Lindell that low.

I really love to see this view, though. Someone who's actually watched every one of these prospects a fair bit and knows more about them than most of us do. All we get to see are stats mostly, and its refreshing to get more of an unbiased take on their actual skillset.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You weren't kidding about having a different list than the one we voted on :laugh:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Farkas throws out some juicy, hard to resist bait on that Cole Ully line.

He's got me on the line... can he reel me in?

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
4 AHL defensemen are on this list already, it's going to be tough for him to jump over them plus Nemeth, Oleksiak, and Jokipakka.

True, but the list should be about upside, not ranked on where they get to play. Just look at Klingberg. Lots of depth ahead of him before last year, but he showed everyone he was a keeper!

Obviously not the same situation, but I did not think that Bystrom had fallen that far...

hommeDC

Nov 20, 2014
I know these grades are arbitrary, but I'm curious to know what Farkas thinks of the other write ups coming out. I just read the Boston article, and I can't tell if their prospects are really that much better than ours, or if that writer just gives more generous grades.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
True, but the list should be about upside, not ranked on where they get to play. Just look at Klingberg. Lots of depth ahead of him before last year, but he showed everyone he was a keeper!

Obviously not the same situation, but I did not think that Bystrom had fallen that far...

The Stars have a lot of depth, Bystrom would be the 13th 1st or 2nd round pick on the list. Also, at some point a player needs to show upside. If his numbers don't compare well to those of Johns, Honka, Lindell, etc then they are going to leave him behind.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Farkas throws out some juicy, hard to resist bait on that Cole Ully line.

He's got me on the line... can he reel me in?

I'll let Ully do the talking on that. The last two years he's been playing with players that can barely stand up on the rink...I hope he gets a chance early in Texas and shows what he can do.

How is Bystrom not on this list? Kid still has some pretty good upside, no?

Pretty good, sure. He was 19th on the last list. You've added some better players, Bystrom doesn't look that much better than he did 6-12 months prior, so we move on from him on the list but he can work his way back on it certainly. He's not far off of it and got strong consideration for that last spot (Stransky's)...I'm going to put my chips down on Mattias Backman for now over Bystrom.

I know these grades are arbitrary, but I'm curious to know what Farkas thinks of the other write ups coming out. I just read the Boston article, and I can't tell if their prospects are really that much better than ours, or if that writer just gives more generous grades.

I acknowledge this, but unfortunately: No comment.

I can only speak for myself and my philosophy is try to hit the "likely potential" with your grade instead of the "highest ceiling"...in most circumstances. I cannot speak for others, but as a veteran writer who is pretty familiar with a lot of players outside of Dallas' system, I'm pretty vocal. The more communication you have on this, which is an individual project but strongly centralized, the better...

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
The Stars have a lot of depth, Bystrom would be the 13th 1st or 2nd round pick on the list. Also, at some point a player needs to show upside. If his numbers don't compare well to those of Johns, Honka, Lindell, etc then they are going to leave him behind.

He played almost three full seasons in the SEL - with Men and held his own. Then with his brief stint in Texas he had 3pts in 12 games. Not mind blowing numbers and granted it is a small sample size, but that pro-rates to 21 points-ish as a rookie.

How many points does he need to get next year until Dallas writes him off?

Definitely a sleeper here IMO.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Points does not matter that much (well, at all really...). Progression does.

Well, okay yeah I know what you are saying... but he needs to show he can put up the points as his calling card is an offensive d-man. Given Dallas will probably have a real good farm team again this year, points can be used as one measuring stick (i.e can he run a powerplay efficiently, big outlet passes to spring forwards etc.).

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'll let Ully do the talking on that. The last two years he's been playing with players that can barely stand up on the rink...I hope he gets a chance early in Texas and shows what he can do.

For sure, the reel me in was more for Ully than you anyway ;)

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
What is the chance of Faksa ever making the NHL? I heard he was given a very defensive role, but still, considering he was a 13th pick his stats are pretty bad.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
What is the chance of Faksa ever making the NHL? I heard he was given a very defensive role, but still, considering he was a 13th pick his stats are pretty bad.
Pretty good honestly. If someone on forward goes down for a while and Ritchie is already on the big team, I wouldn't be surprised if Faksa is first in line, especially if there's an obvious bottom 6 role to fill. Kinda depends on what new guys like Dickinson, Elie, Shore and Ully do too I guess.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Well, okay yeah I know what you are saying... but he needs to show he can put up the points as his calling card is an offensive d-man. Given Dallas will probably have a real good farm team again this year, points can be used as one measuring stick (i.e can he run a powerplay efficiently, big outlet passes to spring forwards etc.).

It might be tough for him when Johns is a shooting machine from the point, Honka is a big offense guy, and Backman's best skill is offense.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Faksa has the most experience of anybody but Ritchie and the Stars are going to need to promote 3 players to the bottom 6 next year to fit under the cap. Dickinson is expected to be a wing in the AHL, so it's between Faksa and Shore to replace Fiddler IMO.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Unfortunately, the more accurate description would be something to the effect of "he rode pine for almost three full seasons while the 6 defensemen above him on the depth chart held their own".

Actually it was speculated (on here no less) that he rode pine because he came over here to participate in camp. IIRC he was arguably one of their best d-man one year, but after he came over for camp the next year he was punished with it with not playing.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Actually it was speculated (on here no less) that he rode pine because he came over here to participate in camp. IIRC he was arguably one of their best d-man one year, but after he came over for camp the next year he was punished with it with not playing.

Yeah sorry, my BS detector is going off. He has never been given enough ice time to get such a title (has yet to play in a top 4 role). Which was the intention of my original point, not that he sucks, just that he hasn't been given the ice time to demonstrate an NHL future (edit: though he is still really young).

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah sorry, my BS detector is going off. He has never been given enough ice time to get such a title (has yet to play in a top 4 role). Which was the intention of my original point, not that he sucks, just that he hasn't been given the ice time to demonstrate an NHL future (edit: though he is still really young).

I thought he was solid at the WJC as well. Way too early to write him off. I guess a strong performance this year will be needed to force his way back into top 20/10 consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad