Player Discussion Dallas Stars RFA's

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Gotta think that there is no way Oleksiak and Nemeth are both on the roster again next year

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Who cares? Developing is a thing that Honka, Lindell, and Heiskanen will do, no more time is left for Oleksiak or Nemeth. At these prices we'll have to pay to send Oleksiak and Nemeth to somebody else just at their QOs. It would be great if they or Pateryn were something, but make a choice and get rid of the other 2 ASAP.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If you believe Heika, Nemeth seems to be the most bruised by the sit down routine he has gone through, or at least he has mentioned him as the guy who most needs a fresh start. Think he is probably the most marketable, too.

Speaking of development, I guess Backman is gone, and we briefly had some hope for him, but we still have Nyberg, Martinet, Bayruether and Heatherington (SP?) down there with some potential. As Misty said, I believe they are ready to move on from Nemeth and Jamie O, but it will depend on who will take which one for what.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If you believe Heika, Nemeth seems to be the most bruised by the sit down routine he has gone through, or at least he has mentioned him as the guy who most needs a fresh start. Think he is probably the most marketable, too.

Speaking of development, I guess Backman is gone, and we briefly had some hope for him, but we still have Nyberg, Martinet, Bayruether and Heatherington (SP?) down there with some potential. As Misty said, I believe they are ready to move on from Nemeth and Jamie O, but it will depend on who will take which one for what.

You have it backwards. Make the call today on which of the 3 stays. Don't ask anyone what we could maybe get in trade first, make a choice. Then make a few calls and waive em if there's nothing offered as soon as we can. Don't worry about managing assets, worry about winning hockey games. If they make it through to the AHL, that's the backup they wanted and if not, so what?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Seems like you were whining a little while back that Nill didn't manage assets very well.....maybe it wasn't you, but in any case, he has to manage assets, always and every time. They are the lifeblood of the organization, any organization and you can't waste too many of them.

Does it really matter which of the three sits most nights? They are all about equal, unless, as you say, they have one they really like over the others. Based on playing time last year, its hard to make that case.

But, by way of agreeing with you, I suppose a fourth round pick vs a fifth may not make much difference either, especially since you are probably trading them to a lower level team that is taking a "change of scenery" chance on one of them.

I can imagine Nill offering one of them to another team, and their natural reaction might be (or they just may like) to ask for another one, figuring Nill was trying to fleece them (as he is wont to do)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Like I said in the other thread, just waive them in September. My money would be Oleksiak gets claimed and Nemeth slides through. If they both get claimed, so be it. At this point you're talking virtually no return so the slim chance of them making down to Texas' roster is more valuable than anything another team is sending your way.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They are not assets at this point.

I'm confused. You'd be all for playing Niemi in the AHL but not Oleksiak or Nemeth ... especially Nemeth who has excelled in the AHL? OR ... are you agreeing to just waive them?

I'm not saying they have any value. That's actually my point. You might get a conditional pick so the chance of them making it through waivers and playing for Texas is likely your best value even if the risk is you lose them for nothing.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm confused. You'd be all for playing Niemi in the AHL but not Oleksiak or Nemeth ... especially Nemeth who has excelled in the AHL? OR ... are you agreeing to just waive them?

I'm not saying they have any value. That's actually my point. You might get a conditional pick so the chance of them making it through waivers and playing for Texas is likely your best value even if the risk is you lose them for nothing.

This. If they get claimed, who is going to notice? If they don't, then as long as Nill tells Laxdal to give minutes to the right people they can play in the AHL.

We need to burn the ships behind us on the 8 defenseman system. Pick one of Pateryn Oleksiak and Nemeth based solely on NHL injury replacement-ness and move on from the others. Like it or not, the minutes to develop those guys are going to go to Honka or Johns or Lindell and then to Heiskanen and Bayereuther and so on.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
They are not assets at this point.

So it's official then, Oleksiak has graduated to first round bust status? Time to update the list.

Heiskanen
Honka
Gurianov
Dickinson
Nushuskin
Oleksiak
Campbell
Glennie

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This. If they get claimed, who is going to notice? If they don't, then as long as Nill tells Laxdal to give minutes to the right people they can play in the AHL.

We need to burn the ships behind us on the 8 defenseman system. Pick one of Pateryn Oleksiak and Nemeth based solely on NHL injury replacement-ness and move on from the others. Like it or not, the minutes to develop those guys are going to go to Honka or Johns or Lindell and then to Heiskanen and Bayereuther and so on.

I showed it in the other thread, they only have 6 D signed to play in the AHL. I guess I'm confused because I'm making the exact same argument you made about Niemi. In this case though, unlike Niemi, these guys wouldn't be pushing a legitimate prospect out of the way. Your argument was, IIRC, "Texas going deep in the playoffs for guys like Hintz and Gurianov is much more valuable than the development of Bow or Desrosiers."

I have no desire to hold on to either guy because I assume we're going to salvage their career. My only point is that Martenet playing in the ECHL is probably the best option. It's not like he set the OHL on fire. It wouldn't be abnormal for him to start his pro career in the ECHL.

I'm working under the assumption that first and foremost, Heiskanen probably returns to Finland as we've been told. If that doesn't prove accurate, by all means shoot both Oleksiak and Nemeth into the hockey sun. The other assumption is that the chance of both clearing seems small. I feel like Oleksiak probably gets claimed. In fact I hope he would. My goal would be exposing Oleksiak and Nemeth at the same time makes it more likely that one slips through. Nemeth was better in the AHL, and I've always liked his potential more than Oleksiak. Because of that, I think he'd be a better fit down in the AHL especially with Bystrom and Hansson on that team. He also had a much worse year than Oleksaik in the NHL so I think most teams would prefer Oleksiak.

It's a long shot, but say that happens, you would have Bystrom, Hansson, and Nemeth as RD. Your LD would be Bayreuther, Heathington, and Bodnarchuk. If you're going to stick with two inexperience goalies, the best bet to make that successful is a strong defense. I'd say you cover developmental goals and overall quality of play quite well with that group.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I showed it in the other thread, they only have 6 D signed to play in the AHL. I guess I'm confused because I'm making the exact same argument you made about Niemi. In this case though, unlike Niemi, these guys wouldn't be pushing a legitimate prospect out of the way. Your argument was, IIRC, "Texas going deep in the playoffs for guys like Hintz and Gurianov is much more valuable than the development of Bow or Desrosiers."

I have no desire to hold on to either guy because I assume we're going to salvage their career. My only point is that Martenet playing in the ECHL is probably the best option. It's not like he set the OHL on fire. It wouldn't be abnormal for him to start his pro career in the ECHL.

I'm working under the assumption that first and foremost, Heiskanen probably returns to Finland as we've been told. If that doesn't prove accurate, by all means shoot both Oleksiak and Nemeth into the hockey sun. The other assumption is that the chance of both clearing seems small. I feel like Oleksiak probably gets claimed. In fact I hope he would. My goal would be exposing Oleksiak and Nemeth at the same time makes it more likely that one slips through. Nemeth was better in the AHL, and I've always liked his potential more than Oleksiak. Because of that, I think he'd be a better fit down in the AHL especially with Bystrom and Hansson on that team. He also had a much worse year than Oleksaik in the NHL so I think most teams would prefer Oleksiak.

It's a long shot, but say that happens, you would have Bystrom, Hansson, and Nemeth as RD. Your LD would be Bayreuther, Heathington, and Bodnarchuk. If you're going to stick with two inexperience goalies, the best bet to make that successful is a strong defense. I'd say you cover developmental goals and overall quality of play quite well with that group.

The difference is I am absolutely confident about Niemi not being claimed, and also that I think Bayereuther and Heatherington are NHL prospects who can benefit from playing a lot. But we are mostly in agreement, if one makes it through that's a good outcome for our AHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad