Dallas Stars recent draft history

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Let's keep going back a full 20 years, shall we?

2008 - No pick
2007 - No pick
2006 - Ivan Vishnevskiy
2005 - Matt Niskanen
2004 - Mark Fistric
2003 - No pick
2002 - Martin Vagner
2001 - Jason Bacashihua
2000 - Steve Ott
1999 - No pick
1998 - No pick

They need their drafting straightened out badly. It has not improved under Nill.

That's what happens when you are a yearly contender and pick 25-30th or trade your first rounder. Not sure how any of those picks are failures really.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Let's keep going back a full 20 years, shall we?

1998 - No pick

They need their drafting straightened out badly. It has not improved under Nill.

Craig Button told an interesting story from that draft. Dallas had pick #27 and they were targeting Simon Gagne. They were all bummed when Philadelphia took Gagne #22 (a little bit early if my memory serves me correctly). Then they got excited as Jiri Fischer began to drop. Allegedly the scouts told GM Bob Gainey to trade up a couple spots for Fischer, but Gainey thought Fischer would be there at #27. Detroit ended up taking him #25 and Dallas traded out of #27 (the Devils would take Scott Gomez).

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Honka was drafted four years ago.. Not like two. And Faksa is a two-way player who scores 30 points. Solid player, but worth of 13th overall pick? I would like to take my chances with 13th overall in semi decent draft and try to get a player who is better than Faksa.

And this 'player usage' argument is pretty thin. Sure I could say that for example Nikolaj Ehlers will score 100 points if he's in Jets first pp unit.

I mean, for an example, Andreas Johnsson just entered the league and Leafs fans are rightfully excited about his potential. Honka is a year younger. 4 years post draft isn't a lot of time, especially for a dman. If he was struggling in the AHL maybe you could make a case.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That's what happens when you are a yearly contender and pick 25-30th or trade your first rounder. Not sure how any of those pictures are failures really.

Aside from Niskanen and Ott, there's not a lot of talent there whenever they did keep their pick.

Bacashihua had 38 career games (in St. Louis), Vagner went home to the Czech Republic without ever making his NHL debut, Fistric bounced around before looking like he called it quits around five years ago. And Vishnevskiy managed five whole games before somehow landing us Kari Lehtonen.

I'm still not really sure how Joe Nieuwendyk pulled that one off, but it`s one of the few things he did right when he was GM. :laugh:

Reactions: El Cohiba

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
okay fine Dallas fan Faksa isn't a bust, but that doesn't change that Dallas drafting has been horrible, in the first round at least.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Funny enough, looking at Dallas's draft history now it's their later picks that end up turning out better than the top ones.

2001 - Jason Bacashihua in the first round,, Mike Smith in the 5th, Jussi Jokinen in the 6th
2002 - Martin Vagner in the first round, Trevor Daley in the 2nd.
2005 - Matt Niskanen in the first round, James Neal in the 2nd.
2007 - No first rounder, but Jamie Benn in the 5th.
2009 - Scott Glennie in the first round, Alex Chiasson in the 2nd, Reilly Smith in the 3rd.
2010 - Jack Campbell in the first round, John Klingberg in the 5th

Reactions: El Cohiba

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
That's what happens when you are a yearly contender and pick 25-30th or trade your first rounder. Not sure how any of those picks are failures really.

You're right of course, but the last 20 years is a hilarious combination of bad selections (some of the selections from recent years) and just plain bad luck. Like, you would expect even a couple of those low first rounders to hit and have a productive career. But nope.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
You're right of course, but the last 20 years is a hilarious combination of bad selections (some of the selections from recent years) and just plain bad luck. Like, you would expect even a couple of those low first rounders to hit and have a productive career. But nope.

I mean out of those 6, Fistric, Niskanen, and Ott were NHLers. That's 50%..

Looking at this: https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

You are around 50% average pick 25 to 30 to hit 100GP.. so it seems they are statistically about average.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
That is pretty bad. Faksa sure isn't a bust though, and its way to early to call Honka a bust.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yeah we've made some huge blunders in the first round. I'd rather talk about our 5th rounders. Benn, Klingberg, Mike Smith, Turco... Caamano, Point, even Cecconi look like decent prospects

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Dallas' 1st round picks have all been questionable at the onset (no hindsight) outside of Nichushkin

and unlike some other teams they never seem to out-genius the consensus

5th round makes up for it

Heiskanen is going to be a star tho. They lucked out. I thought he could go #1 over Hischier/Patrick

Reactions: Seanaconda

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was kind of shocked when I found this out.

Their 1st round picks form 2009 to 2015

2009 Scott Glennie 8th overall BUST
2010 Jack Campbell 1tth overall BUST
2011 Jamie Oleksiak 11th overall BUST
2012 Radek Faksa 13th overall MEH/Slight Bust
2013 Valeri Nichushkin 10th overall BUST
2014 Julius Honka 14th overall MEH
2015 Denis Guryanov 12th overall MEH

I don't include 2016 and 2017 drafts because they're too recent. But it's remarkable that a team can draft so poorly in seven straight years.

Faksa is a really good player. Honka looks good as well inspite of the Dallas coaching staff hating him for some reason. Nichushkin if he plays in NA can't be considered a bust.

Other than that, some rough picks/luck in the 1st round.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still a little early to declare anything with Honka. Gurianov was a surprise pick but word was he was the draft wild card since he was a late riser.

Honka has surprised me most, because Detroit-based Jim Nill should have known Dylan Larkin (picked after him) like his own son.

Heiskanen is money to watch, luck yeah through lottery, but great pick.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
In what way is Faksa a bust? Lmao. He is one of the brightest spots on this team, and when he was drafted he was viewed as a potential 2nd line 2-way center. That's exactly what he will turn out to be. Probably will get more Selke consideration down the road of his career too, and he even got some this year.
No chance he gets serious Selke consideration.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Stars should just give up earlier rounds and instead own the entire 5th round. I posted this once before but:

Trade the 1st for two 2nds, three 2nds (two from the trade plus the original Stars pick) for six 3rds, seven 3rds for fourteen 4ths, fifteen 4ths for thirty 5ths and the 31st pick is the original Stars 5th. Bam, done - 5th round is ours, and we can get a Benn/Klingberg quality player every season! :laugh:

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I hated the Faksa pick at the time, but have really changed my tune. He's physical, he plays with energy, and he has some finish. He could be an adequate 2C if need be, but is great as 3C.

A lot of the other picks there are just bad. I sometimes wonder if Les Jackson is a common denominator. You can point the finger at Barnhardt, Nieuwendyk, Nill and others but he's been one of the ones running their drafting and scouting for some time - and, even under Gainey, there were far more misses than hits.

I like where they've gone recently. Tufte will be a solid player and while Heiskanen was a gift, both Oettinger and Robertson look like they're on track to be solid pros so far.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Stars were the opposite of the pre shanahan leafs.

Leafs hit on most of their 1st rounders, but were awful in every round after.

Stars were hit and miss pre nill but drafted well late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad