Dallas Stars recent draft history

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I was kind of shocked when I found this out.

Their 1st round picks form 2009 to 2015

2009 Scott Glennie 8th overall BUST
2010 Jack Campbell 1tth overall BUST
2011 Jamie Oleksiak 11th overall BUST
2012 Radek Faksa 13th overall MEH/Slight Bust
2013 Valeri Nichushkin 10th overall BUST
2014 Julius Honka 14th overall MEH
2015 Denis Guryanov 12th overall MEH

I don't include 2016 and 2017 drafts because they're too recent. But it's remarkable that a team can draft so poorly in seven straight years.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
If you think Faksa is a bust or a slight bust you never watched the Stars. One of the better defensive forwards in the game. Honka has high potential but Hitchcock decided to toy with his development this year. Nichushkin is a wild card coming back next season but i dont have high expectations. But you're right, the Stars drafting has been god awful. Last years draft was a little better, but they were gifted Heiskanen which helps ALOT. Strangely a lot of the time the Stars later round picks tend to become better players, so the Stars have a hard time predicting top tier players.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Drafting has been bad but Faksa is not a bust. People expect every top 15 drafted player to be a 1st line big time producer. Faksa has room to grow offensively but he is as solid as it gets defensively and playing a "heavy" game. He also showed up big time in the only playoffs he's been in as a Star.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember some of the hype around Glennie when he was drafted. Yeah, a few busts there for sure. Going to give Honka some more time to develop before calling him a bust.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

I don't include 2016 and 2017 drafts because they're too recent. But it's remarkable that a team can draft so poorly in seven straight years.

2009 Scott Glennie 8th overall BUST -- Horribad bust
2010 Jack Campbell 1tth overall BUST -- Stupid pick, Bust but our development did him no good.
2011 Jamie Oleksiak 11th overall BUST -- Unfortunate victim of poor management again, also very Busty
2012 Radek Faksa 13th overall MEH/Slight Bust -- Absolutely not a bust. Legit 3C who if given better starts and PP time could easily flirt with 45-50 points
2013 Valeri Nichushkin 10th overall BUST -- Not nearly the player he had the potential to be but still a solid player. Would still make this pick given the hype at the time
2014 Julius Honka 14th overall MEH -- Need a year of no Hitch before making a decision on this. He looked unreal for us up until this year
2015 Denis Guryanov 12th overall MEH -- Streaky as hell, horrible in comparison to those drafted around him but I goving him one more year before declaring him a bust.

The drafting has been horrendous in Dallas there is no doubting that, but some of the labels you gave are just wrong

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

The worst of that is Joe Nieuwendyk doing :facepalm:

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
The drafting has been horrendous in Dallas there is no doubting that, but some of the labels you gave are just wrong

Honka was drafted four years ago.. Not like two. And Faksa is a two-way player who scores 30 points. Solid player, but worth of 13th overall pick? I would like to take my chances with 13th overall in semi decent draft and try to get a player who is better than Faksa.

And this 'player usage' argument is pretty thin. Sure I could say that for example Nikolaj Ehlers will score 100 points if he's in Jets first pp unit.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In what way is Faksa a bust? Lmao. He is one of the brightest spots on this team, and when he was drafted he was viewed as a potential 2nd line 2-way center. That's exactly what he will turn out to be. Probably will get more Selke consideration down the road of his career too, and he even got some this year.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Honka was drafted four years ago.. Not like two. And Faksa is a two-way player who scores 30 points. Solid player, but worth of 13th overall pick?

And this 'player usage' argument is pretty thin. Sure I could say that for example Nikolaj Ehlers will score 100 points if he's in Jets first pp unit.

Did you consider Sean Couturier a bust too after 6 seasons with under 40 points for an 8th overall pick? You know most 2-way centers dont just jump in and thrive right away? Faksa doesnt get any PP time and plays against other teams top lines, and did all season long while playing with Pitlick and Roussel. His only focus while on the ice was defense this year, thanks to Hitchcock. In the near future I fully expect Faksa to get PP time in front of the net. He took huge strides forward this year offensively and has shown potential to be a 40-50+ point guy in his future and a probably a yearly Selke contender.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I remember some of the hype around Glennie when he was drafted. Yeah, a few busts there for sure. Going to give Honka some more time to develop before calling him a bust.

I don't recall there being any hype around Glennie; rather, I recall the initial reaction of surprise that Joe Nieuwendyk would go off the board like that just to pick him.

Personally I was bummed that they didn't nab Paajarvi, who also busted but not as spectacularly as Glennie. I remember being stoked that he was still on the board.

Looking at the rest of that 1st round.....yeesh. What a dud of a pick Glennie turned out to be.

Of the first round picks, only Philippe Paradis flamed out harder, and that's by a whopping total of 0 NHL games played to Glennie's 1. :laugh:

I think I recall something about Dallas targeting Kadri, with Glennie as their Plan B. To think they could've had Ryan Ellis, though, or Tyson Barrie.

Oh well, hindsight's 20/20 and all that.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
You can't call Faksa a bust but im not sure he'll ever be a big scorer in the league. Seems like he's somewhere between being Lars Eller - Sean Coutourier to me. So probably a #3 on a contender.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
You can't call Faksa a bust but im not sure he'll ever be a big scorer in the league. Seems like he's somewhere between being Lars Eller - Sean Coutourier to me. So probably a #3 on a contender.

I don't think you'll find a Stars fan who expects him to be a "big scorer". He'll top out at around 40-50 points, and round out his game defensively.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I don't think you'll find a Stars fan who expects him to be a "big scorer". He'll top out at around 40-50 points, and round out his game defensively.

Really depends on if the next coach gives him any PP time. For some reason, Ritchie played on the PP over Faksa....Faksa was a proven force in front of the net and scores a bunch of deflection goals and has a nice quick release yet Ritchie was put there. Hopefully the next coach gives Faksa some PP time in the slot

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Honka was drafted four years ago.. Not like two. And Faksa is a two-way player who scores 30 points. Solid player, but worth of 13th overall pick? I would like to take my chances with 13th overall in semi decent draft and try to get a player who is better than Faksa.

Faksa scored 33 points in a low event Hitch system. He was deployed with roughly 67% defensive starts, was played with 2 speedy wingers who have wheels but no hands, was tasked to shut down the top lines of other teams and was given no PP time. There is a difference between moving from a 2nd PP that is effective to a 1st compared to moving from not on the PP to actually on it...

Dallas has Devin shore who is the definition of a passenger on the top PP. Dude was essentially a springboard to pass to when a player wanted to reload. The PP ran through the other 4 and he came out with 11 PP points. Faksa would be a better net front guy and has a better shot than Shore. Put Faksa as the 5th man on the PP and there is no way he does worse. So if you actaully use him on the PP, give him wingers who can shoot and play him as a 2C deployed much more in the 50/50 range instead of the 33/67 range there is simply no way his numbers dont jump up.

The PP time alone would be enough to bump him to 43-45 points, I think expecting a few extra points if he has 2nd line wingers and offensive starts is pretty reasonable.

As to the Honka pick. He looked everything as advertised in every game of his career up until this year. Hitchcock straight up mentioned how he needs to be managed because he is "small" and forced a 3 second rule on the kid despite the offence he generates usually comes from his creativity with the puck. I didnt say he will be a super star, what I said was "Need a year of no Hitch before making a decision on this. He looked unreal for us up until this year" because Honka has looked really really good at every level until he had to play for a coach who is notorious for not trusting youth and small players

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
And Faksa is a two-way player who scores 30 points. Solid player, but worth of 13th overall pick? I would like to take my chances with 13th overall in semi decent draft and try to get a player who is better than Faksa.

Well, look at the 2012 draft as a whole. Faksa was a fine pick where he was selected. 2012 was not a great draft. Faksa is basically one of only a couple decent first round picks that the Stars have had in the last 20 years.

But indeed the Stars are horrible at drafting. You can go all the way back to the late 90s if you really wanted to. Nill's drafting in particular has really set the franchise back. The Gurianov pick was INFURIATING.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Historically one of the worst deafting teams ever

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I'm not sure if they've had the same scouts throughout that range. I think Jim Nill brought in Joe McDonnell from Detroit. Tim Bernhardt was the head scout under Joe Nieuwendyk.

In general, those picks are usually out of the range of blue chip players. Glennie was a bit off the board, but I think many of us would have taken Jared Cowen or Magnus Paajarvi in the moment. At the time, Campbell wasn't a surprise but it was surprising that Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley were still available; I think a number of folks would have taken Gormley in the moment.

Oleksiak was 14th overall. Like a lot of those picks in that range, he's already gone to another organization. You can make the case for a few guys behind Faksa, but I think that was a completely reasonable pick at the time. I can admit that I wanted the Devils to take Nichushkin at #9 before we found out they had traded it. Nichushkin is probably coming back, so it remains to be seen what value he'll provide.

Still a little early to declare anything with Honka. Gurianov was a surprise pick but word was he was the draft wild card since he was a late riser.

It's a little unfair to just list the picks in a vacuum as though Dallas was the only team who whiffed in that range. If anything, it's just a reminder that picking in the 10-15 range can be rough. Usually means you fell short of the playoffs and there aren't blue chips who'll be available.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Historically one of the worst deafting teams ever

Let's keep going back a full 20 years, shall we?

2008 - No pick
2007 - No pick
2006 - Ivan Vishnevskiy
2005 - Matt Niskanen
2004 - Mark Fistric
2003 - No pick
2002 - Martin Vagner
2001 - Jason Bacashihua
2000 - Steve Ott
1999 - No pick
1998 - No pick

They need their drafting straightened out badly. It has not improved under Nill.

Reactions: Sweetbutt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad