Pre-Game Talk: Dallas Stars in town Tues. March 14

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Lets forget Hockey Town existence and move on to the Stars game coming up.

Weak defence and mediocre goaltending, McDavid should be able to chew up this team and spit it out. They have a couple guys who can score so I predict an 80's night in our near future. Something fun like an 8-4 win

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
4-6-3 on the 13th day of the month.

This is a must win.

I wonder if we can ask Dallas if we can play in their barn for this game.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I've been out of the country and haven't watched an Oilers game since December. Is the ice at Rogers Place really that bad?

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Yeah if we lose this one it's officially time to hit the panic
Button

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It's funny how frustrating this has been the last few weeks. As a fanbase, you'd think we'd be up there in terms of living through frustrating times... the last decade has been a terrible thing for a fan. But if they continue to crawl through the end of this season it will be extremely frustrating seeing as how they've shown us what they can do.

I'm still of the opinion that even if we miss the playoffs, pre-season expectations have still been met (most people believed we'd be outside looking in on the playoffs). But holy hell is it getting hard to watch every other team around us winning and us losing.

If we end up not making the playoffs, I think we should create a ban on using those "playoff analysis" websites that have been saying we were 99% to make the playoffs. That certainly isn't helping people's frustration levels, lol.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Many have said previous games have been must wins, but this is the first "real" must win for the Oilers this season. Things could get very ugly and fast with another loss, but a win at least settles things down a bit and allows them to re-establish themselves and gives them a chance to salvage what is starting to look like a pretty bad home stand.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It's funny how frustrating this has been the last few weeks. As a fanbase, you'd think we'd be up there in terms of living through frustrating times... the last decade has been a terrible thing for a fan. But if they continue to crawl through the end of this season it will be extremely frustrating seeing as how they've shown us what they can do.

I'm still of the opinion that even if we miss the playoffs, pre-season expectations have still been met (most people believed we'd be outside looking in on the playoffs). But holy hell is it getting hard to watch every other team around us winning and us losing.

If we end up not making the playoffs, I think we should create a ban on using those "playoff analysis" websites that have been saying we were 99% to make the playoffs. That certainly isn't helping people's frustration levels, lol.

Well, I don't see why we would ban them, as we were virtually a lock to make the playoffs as the website states, and we still are almost virtually a lock.

The Oil are a 19 to 1 favourite to make the playoffs. The only reason there is even any doubt in anyone's mind is because the Flames just decided to go on a franchise record setting streak. If we are looking below and see the Flames, Kings AND Blues, we aren't worried at all.

People do realize, that if the Oilers merely play .500 the rest of the way, and take even ONE game out of 3 from the Kings, we are almost a lock for the playoffs.

Assuming a 7-7 record for the Oil to get them to 93 points, the Kings would have to play 11-4 in their remaining 15 games to edge us by 1 point.

The Flames have played 12-2-1 I believe in their last 15. And depending on if we pick up our play(especially with games against Colorado and Van) I could see us finishing 9-5 to finish off the season, setting us up with 97 points. The Kings would need to match the Flames streak just to TIE us.

This isn't even considering the fact that if one of the Blues or Kings decides to go on a 2-3 game slump where we pick up 3 or 4 points, its virtually over.

I can see why guys are worried, but statistically we are MORE than safe.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Imagine this board if we Lose this one AND vs VAN on Saturday :popcorn:

It would be so oilers if we manage to blow this though, this team is cursed if we crumble. Although I feel that their lackluster effort/ inconsistent play is due to excessive partying. I swear young players aren't consistent because they do alot more extra curricular activities during their off time than do the vets.

Gotta beat Dallas.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well, I don't see why we would ban them, as we were virtually a lock to make the playoffs as the website states, and we still are almost virtually a lock.

The Oil are a 19 to 1 favourite to make the playoffs. The only reason there is even any doubt in anyone's mind is because the Flames just decided to go on a franchise record setting streak. If we are looking below and see the Flames, Kings AND Blues, we aren't worried at all.

People do realize, that if the Oilers merely play .500 the rest of the way, and take even ONE game out of 3 from the Kings, we are almost a lock for the playoffs.

Assuming a 7-7 record for the Oil to get them to 93 points, the Kings would have to play 11-4 in their remaining 15 games to edge us by 1 point.

The Flames have played 12-2-1 I believe in their last 15. And depending on if we pick up our play(especially with games against Colorado and Van) I could see us finishing 9-5 to finish off the season, setting us up with 97 points. The Kings would need to match the Flames streak just to TIE us.

This isn't even considering the fact that if one of the Blues or Kings decides to go on a 2-3 game slump where we pick up 3 or 4 points, its virtually over.

I can see why guys are worried, but statistically we are MORE than safe.

You make it sound like .500 hockey is a given. The Oilers are not a .500 team going back to the all star break. Considering the three games left against the kings and just 7 points up, were getting close to a point where we have let the kings decide their own playoff fate against us.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
It would be so oilers if we manage to blow this though, this team is cursed if we crumble. Although I feel that their lackluster effort/ inconsistent play is due to excessive partying. I swear young players aren't consistent because they do alot more extra curricular activities during their off time than do the vets.

Gotta beat Dallas.

Its bad coaching IMO.. Drai is a streaky player and is has clearly been in the invisible mode since the start of the road trip back a month ago. McLellan is way too slow to clue in. Draisaitl should have been dropped down a line or 2 weeks ago.

If he cant see the overpassing on that line by now then I dont know if he ever will.

At this point Kassian or even Slepychev would be better fit with McD.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
You make it sound like .500 hockey is a given. The Oilers are not a .500 team going back to the all star break. Considering the three games left against the kings and just 7 points up, were getting close to a point where we have let the kings decide their own playoff fate against us.

No, we don't. As long as the Oilers stay ahead of the Kings, they decide their own playoff fate. Let's stop writing fake narratives to make the situation seem more dire. The fact that people honestly have it in their mind that it's almost a guarantee that the Kings will sweep those 3 games is sad, and honestly embarrassing as a fan. Have some ****ing faith. The woe is me attitude on here is unreal.

The Oilers are 7-9-1 I believe dating back to the all star break, and prior to this 3 game losing streak were 6-3 from exactly a month ago.

With 3 games left against the Canucks, and 2 against the Avalanche I would say .500 hockey is almost a given. We laid a stinker in MTL, but we played very well in Pittsburgh, and we played well in NYI. I honestly see zero evidence that this team can't play .500 hockey to finish out the season or better. I am not aiming for .500, I would be livid if they finished the season out .500, but I am saying that gets us in the post season.

Last edited:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Gotta beat Dallas.

Not all young people party. I haven't seen any indication that they are over-partying. Anything I had read, is that Hall was the party guy, Ebs just tagged along. Nuge wasn't big on partying either. But maybe McDavid and Nurse are? I dunno. When Hall was with the team, we always seemed to hear stories about him at bars, but now we don't hear anything (maybe because we're a better team so there's more important things to discuss?).

Not saying I'm right and you're wrong, it's just not something that should be assumed. It's an excuse and a bad one, if this is causing issues.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
No, we don't. As long as the Oilers stay ahead of the Kings, they decide their own playoff fate. Let's stop writing fake narratives to make the situation seem more dire. The fact that people honestly have it in their mind that it's almost a guarantee that the Kings will sweep those 3 games is sad, and honestly embarrassing as a fan. Have some ****ing faith. The woe is me attitude on here is unreal.

The Oilers are 7-9-1 I believe dating back to the all star break, and prior to this 3 game losing streak were 6-3 from exactly a month ago.

With 3 games left against the Canucks, and 2 against the Avalanche I would say .500 hockey is almost a given. We laid a stinker in MTL, but we played very well in Pittsburgh, and we played well in NYI. I honestly see zero evidence that this team can't play .500 hockey to finish out the season or better.

Look, I agree - us as a fanbase are accustomed to losing and failing, so this forum tends to overreact a lot any time we don't win.

But just as much as the people who are assuming we will lose all three games against the Kings and fail to meet .500 hockey are wrong, you too are wrong in that you seem to be assuming that those things WON'T happen. I get it, optimism is a good thing. But you're making it harder on yourself by being so adamant that there is no cause for concern. There is. We are on a losing streak on the back of being an almost .500 team since the All-Star break. We are trending downwards, while every other team in the playoff picture seems to be trending upwards. It's very easy to see the potential future of us missing the playoffs if these trends continue.

Once we win a few games people will ease up. But until that happens and we keep losing winnable games, people will be uneasy.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Look, I agree - us as a fanbase are accustomed to losing and failing, so this forum tends to overreact a lot any time we don't win.

But just as much as the people who are assuming we will lose all three games against the Kings and fail to meet .500 hockey are wrong, you too are wrong in that you seem to be assuming that those things WON'T happen. I get it, optimism is a good thing. But you're making it harder on yourself by being so adamant that there is no cause for concern. There is. We are on a losing streak on the back of being an almost .500 team since the All-Star break. We are trending downwards, while every other team in the playoff picture seems to be trending upwards. It's very easy to see the potential future of us missing the playoffs if these trends continue.

Once we win a few games people will ease up. But until that happens and we keep losing winnable games, people will be uneasy.

I am not making anything harder on myself at all. Trust me, thinking things are gonna turn out just fine is a hell of a lot easier mentally than plotting the Oilers demise in my head.

But hey, I won't be able to say "I told ya so" if it happens. Guess that's what guys are aiming for here.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I am not making anything harder on myself at all. Trust me, thinking things are gonna turn out just fine is a hell of a lot easier mentally than plotting the Oilers demise in my head.

But hey, I won't be able to say "I told ya so" if it happens. Guess that's what guys are aiming for here.

Haha, you misunderstand my point. I'm not saying being optimistic (or realistic in your perspective) is a bad thing in general. I meant in your posts on here. If you continue to be adamant that we aren't in an uncomfortable position, people will keep coming back at you like they have been. Which is probably not an issue either, I'm just saying. People like me don't like dealing with absolutes, so when either side doesn't acknowledge the possibility of being wrong, I tend to argue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad