Post-Series Talk: Dallas Stars Defeat Colorado Avalanche (Win 4-2)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Lol, I was just wondering if he badmouthed the team on the way out or something.
It's a combination of things. Obviously asking for a trade never helps with the fans but it happens more often than fans know about so in itself it wasn't a big deal. It is what happened after that really turned the fans. He showed up at TC for players' picture pouting and his picture is proof of that. Then on his way out he said that all he wanted was to play playoffs hockey insinuating that it wouldn't happen for a while in Colorado. Maybe he had a point especially after the Avs finished dead last with a 48-pt season but very often it is best keeping these reasons private. Landy and EJ could have asked for a trade as well but instead stated publicly that they wanted to be part of the solution instead of bailing out on the team. Personally I don't have an issue with players asking for trades. There could be different reasons why a player wants out. Wanting to play playoffs hockey is one of them and it is a valid one but until he said that Avs fans believe that there were conflicts between him and other players in the dressing room. Just like many other fans saying it publically in combination with the pouting rubbed me the wrong way as well and I was a big Duchene fan. You are a professional hockey player so until the trade is done you should show up ready for your teammates and do your job.

He played 14 games with the Avs in the 17-18 season and then was traded to Ottawa. Ironically the Avs made the playoffs that season and he didn't again.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Saw this on Reddit:

qh2e4b00b81d1.jpeg

That's 6 Avs skaters fully engaged in the play. After such an egregious too-many-men penalty that was somehow missed, those linesmen should be done for the playoffs.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So you're one of the more reasonable Wild fan. :thumbu: I never understood the hate towards him from Wild fans, much like Av fans hating on Duchene. You'd think they came out and said they hated their time there. There are plenty of Stars fans that like to hate on Suter too, though he does just fine as a third pairing defenseman at this point of his career.

There was a whole list of things believed to have been confirmed (depending on who you want to believe: the beat writer(s), players, or Suter/Parise themselves).

- Suter demanded high minutes for bonuses
- He refused to play with Brodin
- He didn't have any power on his slap shot, yet he demanded to be on the PP1 and refused to come off of it when Dumba started to come into his own
- Parise and Suter brought in Oates to work on the powerplay issues

Probably the more damning one was that there was a line in the sand between the veterans and the youth of the team. The veterans refused to do anything with the younger core group and were just major Richards to them. I would have to find the articles on this, but I'm pretty sure some players said that Parise and Suter were ultimately behind it.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
There was a whole list of things believed to have been confirmed (depending on who you want to believe: the beat writer(s), players, or Suter/Parise themselves).

- Suter demanded high minutes for bonuses
- He refused to play with Brodin
- He didn't have any power on his slap shot, yet he demanded to be on the PP1 and refused to come off of it when Dumba started to come into his own
- Parise and Suter brought in Oates to work on the powerplay issues

Probably the more damning one was that there was a line in the sand between the veterans and the youth of the team. The veterans refused to do anything with the younger core group and were just major Richards to them. I would have to find the articles on this, but I'm pretty sure some players said that Parise and Suter were ultimately behind it.
Interesting.

Some of those I can absolutely believe. Suter being, probably, the last of that older generation where vets want respect/perks over the younger players, even if they are the better option. I feel from the Stars fans that hate on him, they think he's actually bad, but since the addition of Tanev and his relegation to the third pairing, most think he's tolerable on the backend. Though I believe his shortcomings were over exaggerated, and people would ignore the exact same mistakes he made by other D men on the team.

Question: do Wild fans hold an animosity towards Parise for his "behavior" in Minnesota?

Reactions: LT

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Interesting.

Some of those I can absolutely believe. Suter being, probably, the last of that older generation where vets want respect/perks over the younger players, even if they are the better option. I feel from the Stars fans that hate on him, they think he's actually bad, but since the addition of Tanev and his relegation to the third pairing, most think he's tolerable on the backend. Though I believe his shortcomings were over exaggerated, and people would ignore the exact same mistakes he made by other D men on the team.

Question: do Wild fans hold an animosity towards Parise for his "behavior" in Minnesota?

Like @57special said, I'm not one to hold animosity towards either of them. They were brought in specifically to change the Wild's dynamics, and they succeeded at that. Suter was quickly the best defensive player the Wild have ever had. He was crisp with passing and always in a decent position to pinch. One could say that he probably developed Brodin and Spurgeon into the players they have both equally become. Much of what Russo has reported regarding Suter mainly concerns that he was the negative one in the room. There were expectations from both players and coaches. Many presumed he was the reason Mike Yeo was ultimately fired. I don't think he needed any help with that, though, as the team was flailing around severely at that point, and they needed to bring in a coach who could tame the two superstars.

In terms of Parise, that depends again on who you will ask. Suter can take the punches because he is from Wisconsin. Zach is a Minnesota boy with twins (Mauer did as well..which helped bolster in the early 2010s that the elite superstars from here would always have twins, lol), and he still has his house here. By and large, the biggest digs that typically happened with him was when he couldn't stay healthy anymore. He was supposed to be a gritty two-way player that could get the dirty goals. Ultimately, it seemed Zach could also not find decent linemates to play with either. It appeared they wedged him with Koivu and Coyle a lot, and that naturally meant top-line defensive responsibilities, and Koivu couldn't skate fast at that point. Production slid, and the PowerPlay always felt slow and noncreative.

Unlike Suter, though, Parise was pretty reserved while in Minnesota and didn't really do a lot of the public relations/sponsorship-type stuff. Considering he didn't look horrible, it probably was a bit of a miss on his part for not doing it. I imagine they'll end up here in Minnesota or back in North Dakota, where his wife is from, once he retires.

Overall, if they had NOT bought them out, I think Suter was worth the price of getting him here. Zach probably needed $1-$1.5M off the salary.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Avs continue to prove they cannot win series against quality teams without lopsided officiating or running at people.

The better and more deserving team won.
True that’s the really story here of the Avs run. They didn’t rely on their Divealanche enough these playoffs. I really wonder if the League had a conversation with them about it, cause their Divealanche game was all off.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Interesting.

It was always about Suter’s minutes in Dallas though and not that he was no longer an nhl player (which if you believe that MIN rumor above the minutes could have been part of the deal with him). As a PP1 and top line he was arguably the worst in the league. As a third liner he’s a gritty f***bag who is smart enough to make up for his legs. It’s exactly the role we were all clamoring for.

Also that young/old rumor above makes perfect sense with him. He was voted almost unanimously by the stars players as the guy least likely to pick up a check

Reactions: Elysian and LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Someone should start a locker room issues thread. The funniest one to me was Jamie Langenbrunner getting traded because he was a boy scout, i.e. reporting affairs and such to the wives. Of course, many players wanted him out of that situation.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
True that’s the really story here of the Avs run. They didn’t rely on their Divealanche enough these playoffs. I really wonder if the League had a conversation with them about it, cause their Divealanche game was all off.
im surprised they didnt run Oettinger. they were always a one line team but the past 2 years has shown how much their depth has taken a hit. so when the refs dont hold their hands, they simply cant consistently beat quality teams.

• Haha
Reactions: katfude

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
im surprised they didnt run Oettinger. they were always a one line team but the past 2 years has shown how much their depth has taken a hit. so when the refs dont hold their hands, they simply cant consistently beat quality teams.
Yeh that move from their bag of tricks went missing too. And Landeskog isn’t around to head shot guys. Combine that with the MIA Divealanche and a lack of center depth. All of a sudden they have lots of missing KEY elements from their Cup run.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Like @57special said, I'm not one to hold animosity towards either of them. They were brought in specifically to change the Wild's dynamics, and they succeeded at that. Suter was quickly the best defensive player the Wild have ever had. He was crisp with passing and always in a decent position to pinch. One could say that he probably developed Brodin and Spurgeon into the players they have both equally become. Much of what Russo has reported regarding Suter mainly concerns that he was the negative one in the room. There were expectations from both players and coaches. Many presumed he was the reason Mike Yeo was ultimately fired. I don't think he needed any help with that, though, as the team was flailing around severely at that point, and they needed to bring in a coach who could tame the two superstars.

In terms of Parise, that depends again on who you will ask. Suter can take the punches because he is from Wisconsin. Zach is a Minnesota boy with twins (Mauer did as well..which helped bolster in the early 2010s that the elite superstars from here would always have twins, lol), and he still has his house here. By and large, the biggest digs that typically happened with him was when he couldn't stay healthy anymore. He was supposed to be a gritty two-way player that could get the dirty goals. Ultimately, it seemed Zach could also not find decent linemates to play with either. It appeared they wedged him with Koivu and Coyle a lot, and that naturally meant top-line defensive responsibilities, and Koivu couldn't skate fast at that point. Production slid, and the PowerPlay always felt slow and noncreative.

Unlike Suter, though, Parise was pretty reserved while in Minnesota and didn't really do a lot of the public relations/sponsorship-type stuff. Considering he didn't look horrible, it probably was a bit of a miss on his part for not doing it. I imagine they'll end up here in Minnesota or back in North Dakota, where his wife is from, once he retires.

Overall, if they had NOT bought them out, I think Suter was worth the price of getting him here. Zach probably needed $1-$1.5M off the salary.
Yeo has certainly proved in the years since that he is not a good NHL head coach. We should be thanking Suter if he was the reason that Yeo was fired(which i don't believe for a minute). I liked Parise's game a lot when he came over, even though i thought that fan's expectations(fueled by the team's PR dept.) of him being an elite offensive player was overblown. He tried hard...maybe too hard, as his back got so wrecked that he simply couldn't perform at a high level.

I've already made my thoughts known about Suter. It's more of a comment on the management's fragility and insecurity that they blamed him for the team's problems.

Having said all that, when they first signed the deals I thought they were kind of insane. It was obvious to me that they wouldn't end well, though I couldn't have foreseen that the NHL would choose to add their own special blend of f*** You sauce to the mix on a deal that was approved at the time.

Reactions: BigT2002

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeo has certainly proved in the years since that he is not a good NHL head coach. We should be thanking Suter if he was the reason that Yeo was fired(which i don't believe for a minute). I liked Parise's game a lot when he came over, even though i thought that fan's expectations(fueled by the team's PR dept.) of him being an elite offensive player was overblown. He tried hard...maybe too hard, as his back got so wrecked that he simply couldn't perform at a high level.

I've already made my thoughts known about Suter. It's more of a comment on the management's fragility and insecurity that they blamed him for the team's problems.

Having said all that, when they first signed the deals I thought they were kind of insane. It was obvious to me that they wouldn't end well, though I couldn't have foreseen that the NHL would choose to add their own special blend of f*** You sauce to the mix on a deal that was approved at the time.
I completely agree. I think we all knew that that salary cap loophole would eventually end, and Fletcher thought he was slick and got it done before the CBA retroactively crushed the team's will. However, the more significant thing about those two signings was that Minnesota became a destination for playing hockey. Before their signing, and Geurin has said as much, Minnesota was where you went to retire and put your kids into a sound school system where hockey was massively appreciated. The team was not known for making big splashes in the offseason.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Avs continue to prove they cannot win series against quality teams without lopsided officiating or running at people.

The better and more deserving team won.
I'm starting to think those two are the same person. The whining about reffing since the start of playoffs is astounding. That's like a month of whining.
2cded41b-cfbb-480a-ac0f-e3d5742fe245_text.gif

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Yeh that move from their bag of tricks went missing too. And Landeskog isn’t around to head shot guys. Combine that with the MIA Divealanche and a lack of center depth. All of a sudden they have lots of missing KEY elements from their Cup run.
They will be a lottery team if Mackinnon ever misses a extended period of time.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I'm starting to think those two are the same person. The whining about reffing since the start of playoffs is astounding. That's like a month of whining.
2cded41b-cfbb-480a-ac0f-e3d5742fe245_text.gif
Don't worry too much about it. As Zadorov pointed out, there isn't really much to do in edmonton but to be overly obsessed with their hockey team. When you have so little to lose, you clutch extra desperately to what you have.

Reactions: Spilot23

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Jordan Kyrou is your best player
No he;s not. Its Robert Thomas and it is not even a close contest. And that has nothing to do with this thread or my previous statement.

The Avalanche cannot beat quality teams 5on5 and the past 2 springs show this.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad