Post-Series Talk: Dallas Stars Defeat Colorado Avalanche (Win 4-2)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
One thing that was super impressive was, IMO, how much better Heiskanen was in comparison to Makar.

Now, I still think Makar is the better player, but Heiskanen absolutely brought himself into the conversation for one of the absolute top defensemen
Makar more gifted offensively

Better defenseman? Im not sure

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
My takeaways:

For the Stars:
  • Pavelski is done

He was the best Dallas player in game 5 and made a beautifully subtle pass to get an assist on the series winning goal. While the numbers haven't been there in the playoffs yet, he's trusted enough to still be 3rd in ice time for Dallas forwards.

He's been underestimated for about 20 years now. I'm not sure how he would do against the Canucks, but he has been historically very good against Edmonton, basically a PPG. I think Playoff Pavelski would show up against them.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I guess Mackinnon still isn't good enough to try to get back to back cups. Great series eliminating the avs by the Stars. Rooting for the Stars and winners of the under appreciated stepchildren of Canada for the cup.

LaCarriere

Without the Duchene trade the Avs likely don't win the cup a couple of years ago, it also allowed them to trade for Mittlestadt this year (via Byrum). I'd he fine with Duchene getting his cup this year, never understood the animosity towards him from Avs fans.

What's funny is that, if the refs really wanted the Avs to win... wouldn't they have called SOMETHING in the 3rd period to put the Avs on the power play? You don't think there was a single call they could have made against the Stars?
Duchene, oreilley and Stastny all wanting out in the mid/late 2010s possibly set the avs back a few years from their cup, but they never would haven able to keep all those guys together along with the core they have now, so something had to give, so I guess it worked out.

I thought Stastny had franchise player written all over him, and he ended up being a bit of a journeyman near the end of his career. He was the only one I was sad to see go, but at least he went to his hometown. Duchene and O'Reilly seemed like they bailed on the team when they were starting to get some good young prospects like mack and Landy.

Good analysis. I didn't watch every game - but I watched all of last night's game, so my response is going to be mostly based on what I saw last night.

- Pavelski didn't look great. But - he's old and experienced, maybe he won't be the type of player to control play and create chances relentlessly, but I can still see him show up and score a big goal here and there and being a difference maker.

- I agree Benn looked pretty good. Didn't notice Seguin as much. Duchene looked amazing - he seemed extra motived to win against Colorado in Colorado last night.

- Wyatt Johnson was great. Extremely impressive, everytime he touched the puck he seemed to generate something.

- I didn't like Samuel Girard's game that much. I felt as though the effort was certainly there and he battled a lot, but the result wasn't always good

- Parise had a lot of chances yeah and missed quite a few.

- I was super impressed by Toews. Might be the player that stood out the most from either team in the game, so many smart plays. Well - Makar was pretty great too. Such an amazing duo.

- MacKinnon.....didn't look good at all last night? I thought he had a really bad game - I kept waiting for him to do something but he generated very, very little. I felt as though Rantanen was a lot more explosive, but didn't have the right linemates...I wonder if Colorado should have tried reuniting the two to get them going, instead of splitting them up.
Mackinnon was fine, he had a few good rushes and chances. Dallas goaltender stole that game.

Reactions: landstuhltaylor

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Congrats Star fans, you're team beat two solid teams during 1st two rounds. Very impressive series wins indeed!!!!! Sorta reminds me of some of tough paths Lightning had to take through Atlantic division & ECF's during deep playoff runs. Dallas stepped up by beating Vegas and Ave's these playoffs. Much kudos Stars. much kudos..... :)

I'm very impressed with D and goalie play by Stars too. Holding Ave's offense to only 1 goal during 3-2 elimination game @ Colorado. Just oozes Championship mojo 10-fold! Enjoy the spoils Star fans, your team deserve it!!!! Even after all that awesome work, team is only 1/2 way there: 8 wins down and 8 wins to go for "Cup". Many NHL teams./fans would love those odds right now though.

Good luck Stars, very worthy team

LaCarriere

I guess Mackinnon still isn't good enough to try to get back to back cups. Great series eliminating the avs by the Stars. Rooting for the Stars and winners of the under appreciated stepchildren of Canada for the cup.
1-3 players are rarely going to win you a cup. Ask toronto and Edmonton how that formula has worked out for them over the past 5 or so years.

With no Landy and nuke this teams makeup seems pretty top heavy similar to those 2 teams, plus a nighly question mark in net. I was hopeful going into the playoffs, but not as confident as 2 years ago.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yet people claim he was the league mvp. His stats against top 10 teams showed he wasn't going to the carry the AVs before the post season started. Great player but the MVP shouldn't go to MACK.
Agree
Mc David all the way

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
One thing that was super impressive was, IMO, how much better Heiskanen was in comparison to Makar.

Now, I still think Makar is the better player, but Heiskanen absolutely brought himself into the conversation for one of the absolute top defensemen
I thought Makar was better in the 1st couple periods, Heiskanen from there good battle. I was hoping for Makar vs Hughes but may have to settle for Heiskanen v Hughes

Or, uh Heiskanen v Bouchard

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The Avs have won nothing since they lost their cheap shot artist who accidentally on purpose injured the other team’s best players when they were being outplayed. Surely a coincidence.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
its Nichushkin's fault they lost. They need to get rid of him so they can win next year.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Yet people claim he was the league mvp. His stats against top 10 teams showed he wasn't going to the carry the AVs before the post season started. Great player but the MVP shouldn't go to MACK.
This is one of reasons I believe it might be better to look at when players does playoff scoring. Instead of just scoring averages per game. Playoff stats should be broken down by performance during rounds too (Do they even have this rd by rd stat anywhere?).

As playoffs continue: The teams, coaching, players, and goalie play are just better.
  • What is done in ECF, WCF, and SCF's should carry way more weight than what any 1st & 2nd round playoff merchant accomplishes.
  • Nothing against any certain player, I mean no disrespect to them.
  • But what round it is matters when any player does playoff greatness (One can have out-liners like Starts path this yr, but more than not, 1st & 2nd rds aren't hardest)
  • Plus, while being fortunate enough to witness so many deep playoff runs. Noticed Lightning players were barley were hanging on during last 2 playoff rds each time.
  • Again, what round it is matters: A beaten-down/hurt player is not going to tear it up like a fresh 1st/2nd rd playoff player might do -vs- weaker teams.
  • Playoffs are brutal!!! Who player is at start of them is completely different animal to what is left after rounds 3 and 4.
  • Playoff stats should be broken down by 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th rds also.
  • Star players will have tougher time maintaining higher stats as playoffs go, period!.
  • If player overcomes this while still putting up great stats during Conference finals and "Cup" final, they've done something special.

Reactions: LT

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

To be fair, we can’t go with this narrative given how Kucherov looked this playoffs.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

LaCarriere

This is one of reasons I believe it might be better to look at when players does playoff scoring. Instead of just scoring averages per game. Playoff stats should be broken down by performance during rounds too (Do they even have this rd by rd stat anywhere?).

As playoffs continue: The teams, coaching, players, and goalie play are just better.
  • What is done in ECF, WCF, and SCF's should carry way more weight than what any 1st & 2nd round playoff merchant accomplishes.
  • Nothing against any certain player, I mean no disrespect to them.
  • But what round it is matters when any player does playoff greatness (One can have out-liners like Starts path this yr, but more than not, 1st & 2nd rds aren't hardest)
  • Plus, while being fortunate enough to witness so many deep playoff runs. Noticed Lightning players were barley were hanging on during last 2 playoff rds each time.
  • Again, what round it is matters: A beaten-down/hurt player is not going to tear it up like a fresh 1st/2nd rd playoff player might do -vs- weaker teams.
  • Playoffs are brutal!!! Who player is at start of them is completely different animal to what is left after rounds 3 and 4.
  • Playoff stats should be broken down by 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th rds also.
  • Star players will have tougher time maintaining higher stats as playoffs go, period!.
  • If player overcomes this while still putting up great stats during Conference finals and "Cup" final, they've done something special.
The current playoff format says otherwise.

Dallas played 2 of the top contenders, and the last 2 cup championship in round 1 and 2. Round 3 could likely be their easiest round.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I think it’s interesting that DeBoer’s biggest alleged knock was not being able to adjust during series, and now two rounds in a row he’s put on a masterclass in reading the flow of the games and adjusting accordingly.

Dallas scored the 2nd most goals this year. They don’t play a neutral zone trap style, but they realized that it would be very effective against this Avs team, and they made the switch.

I think their biggest weapon, aside from their insane depth, is their versatility. They “out skilled” Vegas and “out physical-ed” Colorado. Not many teams have the horses to attempt that.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
1-3 players are rarely going to win you a cup. Ask toronto and Edmonton how that formula has worked out for them over the past 5 or so years.

With no Landy and nuke this teams makeup seems pretty top heavy similar to those 2 teams, plus a nighly question mark in net. I was hopeful going into the playoffs, but not as confident as 2 years ago.
Don't waste your time with posts like that.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
The current playoff format says otherwise.

Dallas played 2 of the top contenders, and the last 2 cup championship in round 1 and 2. Round 3 could likely be their easiest round.
Did you read my whole post? Explained out-liner with Dallas this year, and even my favorite team Lightning have had some tough 1st & 2nd rd paths coming out of Atlantic/East. More than not, playoffs get tougher as they go on, My post explains why this might be so in detail, but not sure if you caught those details. Don't know it all, but after witnessing Lightning going to 6 ECF's, 4 SCF's, and back-to-back "Cups in 8 yrs time. One gets a good feeling what rd by rd playoffs are about. There's so many thing that go into winning "Cup" , but I am comfortable saying NHL playoffs get tougher rd by rd. The pressures, injuries, competition, and you name makes last 2 rds of NHL playoff very tough.

To even have a chance of finding truth with how rounds compare by player. Would take a bunch of work looking at so many stats. Just thinking about the amount of stat/data work hurts my brain. But having rd by rd stats each player does sure would help get that comparison started though.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
IMG_8061.jpeg

• Haha

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Colorado was never winning this series but kudos to them for putting up a fight and a hell of a series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad