Dallas Stars boast deep and diverse pool of junior prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

As part of a prospect pool bursting at the seams, the Dallas Stars have a wealth of talent at the junior level in the midst of the 2013-14 season.

Most of the talent comes from the forward positions, but they have some potential gems behind their own blue line as well. With some big producers and others experiencing helpful transitions, the Stars own an eclectic group of young players.

WHL

Dmitry Sinitsyn, D, Regina Pats
Acquired: 7th round (183rd overall) in 2012

After not playing more than a handful of games in his draft year or during his freshman campaign at UMass-Lowell, Dmitry Sinitsyn was claimed in the CHL Import Draft by Regina and has certainly been put to work.… read more

More...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was surprised at the lukewarm review of Payne. I knew he missed some games ... thought it was injury rather than healthy scratch.

I don't like the sound of his one dimensional, lazy game at all. Sort of makes me wonder if a second piece of the Jagr trade is gone by June 1st.

Paul's was pretty blah too. He's only a 4th rounder so not a huge negative, but I do hope that his recent transition to center full time will allow him to pick up his defensive game. I wonder if he can turn himself into a Taylor Peters type prospect.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
One happy reader is better than zero happy readers.

Meanwhile, some notes that may or may not have made the article, forgive repeats, svp...

- A couple of teams weren't sure on Sinitsyn, didn't have good info. Regina is thrilled to have him. Starting to really get it. Fitting in nicely. At first, he was put with their best d-man because they weren't sure what they were gonna get...now, when they have injuries, they have no qualms pairing Sinitsyn with a 16 year old as a security blanket for the youngster.

Another Pats source suggested that despite using a foreign spot already, the Pats may be interested in bringing him back as an overager. Which might be good there. I don't have it on good authority that this will be reciprocated with the Stars organization. Though, I think it makes some sense.

- Ully plays for a pretty bad team...he's taking small steps forward, hasn't made a giant leap in his development. Not much to him, not much to his game without the puck either. That hasn't changed, may never.

- Winther maybe the same deal, no giant leap, AIUI. Quick off the blocks, quick on the shot...not sure what his future will be.

- Troock could be something, he's still raw, isn't the quickest draw in the West...but he's a load...that's a big boy. If he keeps playing with that talented 16 year old, there will be some more headlines about him...starting to turn some heads in the Dub...

- Wanted to get more definitive information on Faksa and the trade rumo(u)rs...teams covet him, certainly...got some conflicting information on the trade front, that's all I can say...

- Lagace: I'm not the only one that doesn't really see it. Questions about his mental game abound. Heard an interesting story or two.

- Another QMJHL source: Top 3 goalies on skill in the Q (no order): Fucale, Desrosiers, Marcoux.

- Paulovic was a strange draft pick from the word "go" - didn't really look the part in Peterborough. Talked with John Vanbiesbrouck about him briefly, he's gonna join the team in not too long when he works out the paperwork...hoping they have a decent forward there at that level...

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Mike,

Thanks for the updates.

Forgetting the numbers in Austin is Vance good enough to take a regular shift in the AHL starting next year if there's a spot?

Just how big is Gemel Smith these days? I know he's been dismissed due to his size but I'm curious what that size is right now.

Do you think Troock is making the 16 year old look good or the other way around? And would you describe his game as board guy, sniper or that mythical power forward everyone has coveted since John LeClair used to play in this league?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Mike,

Thanks for the updates.

Forgetting the numbers in Austin is Vance good enough to take a regular shift in the AHL starting next year if there's a spot?

Just how big is Gemel Smith these days? I know he's been dismissed due to his size but I'm curious what that size is right now.

Do you think Troock is making the 16 year old look good or the other way around? And would you describe his game as board guy, sniper or that mythical power forward everyone has coveted since John LeClair used to play in this league?

I know you say "forgetting the numbers" but that's a big part of it. I don't think he would make a good team right off the blocks. That said, I watch the QMJHL much less than the others...and the Stars drafting makes that pretty easy for me too. He plays such a simple game though, that I doubt he'd look too out of place at the AHL level as a third pairing guy and PK. He's not getting by on good looks out there. He jumped from the EJ to the Q midseason and didn't make a fool of himself a few years ago, that's a good sign for his adaptability.

Tough for me to say on my laptop feed. I wouldn't dismiss him due to size...I'd dismiss him more because I'm not sure if his flashy offensive dealings can translate to the pro level so easily. When the speed and talent even out, will he be able to rise to the top of that heap? I don't know...I'm not sure that his upside is greater than Cody Eakin's...which isn't a knock on anybody...but he's a tough call for sure. I see more of an energy forward at the next level.

Troock is good. He's a lot to handle...when that line is out there, sometimes the defensemen are bench pressing their max and then Troock works himself into isolation and it's like your spotter sits on the bar...he needs more time, find out what works and doesn't work. He needs a quicker release. I've been up close when John LeClair was shooting before and he's shooting on this poor goaltender at this charity event or what have you...whizzing pucks passed this kid while having a conversation with the parents, just flicking his wrist, no real body movement...just flick, score, flick, score, flick, post. If Troock can grease up those gears, you'll really have something. But he can play, he's definitely on my radar like never before...

The 16 year old (Gropp) is good, but Troock is doing work. I think he means to be a sniper, I think that's his mindset...but he'd be better as a total package power forward...maybe the T-Birds fans that see him a bunch more than I could make that call clearer. I think he works himself to open space because that's the nature of what his line does. It's tough to really grind out an intense cycle with a Euro import who doesn't really go out of his way looking for other's lunch money and a 16 year old...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: