Dallas Stars announce huge ticket price reductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Jobu said:
I highly doubt it is 23,000. It is likely around 18,500-19,000. The point is, you claimed that 80% capacity was "fine."

If Dallas was confident that it could sell out at their current price points, they would NOT lower ticket prices, unless they felt it necessary to do so in order to grow their overall business in terms of goodwill, etc.

I never said 80% capacity was fine. Don't put words in my mouth... You used the 80% and according to you and the post above me, the arena capacity is 18500-19000, which would make it way above 80%. 90-95%+++ which yes....is fine.

So you were right in agreeing that Dallas may have had good attendances in the past years, cause yes they did.

__
Edit: Yes 18500 seemed fine to me, cause I remembered Montreal Canadiens are soemthing like 21 000 fans by game and have the highest average (biggest arena too) So that's where came my scepticism about that 23 000 average capacities.

Last edited:

mackdogs*

Jobu said:
I should have also added, anyone who thinks that this lockout WASN'T about putting more money into owners' pockers is Pejorative Slured. In other words, you are doubly so.
Once again you're putting words into my mouth that I never used. I never once said this was not about putting money into the owners pockets (or pockers) so again I ask - what is your point?

Wouldn't lower ticket prices mean less money in the owners pocket? This goes against what you are saying.

You keep replying to me and argue a point that I never even made. I'm not sure where your bitterness comes from but you can argue by yourself. I'll assume you were a poster who stood by the mantra that 'the owners will never ever reduce ticket prices' :teach: and now you are having a tantrum because you were so wrong. Time to get over it and/or grow up. I vote for both.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
HeidiHalter said:
You're probably exactly right. Leading me to believe that Colorado will not lower ticket prices or if they do it will be by too minor a percentage to make a difference. There is too much demand here to justify significantly lowering ticket prices.
Precisely.

Which is why I'm anticipating my invoice for around $1 million, sometime around, oh, five minutes after the ratification press conference. :)

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
HeidiHalter said:
You're probably exactly right. Leading me to believe that Colorado will not lower ticket prices or if they do it will be by too minor a percentage to make a difference. There is too much demand here to justify significantly lowering ticket prices.

There is still plenty demand, but given the recent success of our other teams you have to do something to atleast say, "Hey WERE BACK!" When you reduce your payroll from 62+ million to 39 million you not only can afford to reduce prices, you pretty much have to or the hardcore fans won't go out of protest. The reduction will also bring in many new season ticket holders which means more guaranteed income. This also means more new fans which means more money on the merchandising front. I think you'll be satisfied with the amount by which the Avs reduce their prices, atleast this year. The NHL is currently pretty much off the map in the American sports mind.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Marty#35 said:
When you reduce your payroll from 62+ million to 39 million you not only can afford to reduce prices, you pretty much have to or the hardcore fans won't go out of protest.
They'll still go here. I think that's our point (mine and HeidiHalter's, at least). That could be different in Dallas... from what you're saying, it sounds like it is.

Marty#35 said:
I think you'll be satisfied with the amount by which the Avs reduce their prices, atleast this year. The NHL is currently pretty much off the map in the American sports mind.
Our point is that it doesn't really matter if we happen to be satisfied or not... they can keep the prices right where they are if they want to, and the building will continue to be full every night just like it has for the last ten years. And the NHL is most certainly not off the map here. Again, that could be different in Dallas... you're more able to speak to that situation than we are.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
They'll still go here. I think that's our point (mine and HeidiHalter's, at least). That could be different in Dallas... from what you're saying, it sounds like it is.

Our point is that it doesn't really matter if we happen to be satisfied or not... they can keep the prices right where they are if they want to, and the building will continue to be full every night just like it has for the last ten years. And the NHL is most certainly not off the map here. Again, that could be different in Dallas... you're more able to speak to that situation than we are.

Please stop insinuating that Colorado is a better market than Dallas. Your team has no evidence to back up your point that they will sell out regardless of conditions. Last season left a bitter taste in the mouths of fans here. 5th place in the west is not bad, showing little to no effort throughout the majority of the season, and then hanging your goalie out to dry in the PO's ,after he was the sole reason you were there in the first place, while being paid 62+ million dollars, is.

I think another reason for the reductions is that it left a bitter taste in the managements mouth as well and as a result they are not sure whether this team will even make the PO's next year. As a result they are lowering prices (like all teams do when in transition), to prepare for this.

se7en*

Dallas averages over 18,000 paid seats, so I don't think their attendance in general is bad.

However, sometimes it's difficult to discern how many actually show up. Quietest playoff atmosphere bar none.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Hootchie Cootchie said:
Dallas averages over 18,000 paid seats, so I don't think their attendance in general is bad.

However, sometimes it's difficult to discern how many actually show up. Quietest playoff atmosphere bar none.

That's because the phrase "Shooting your mouth off," has a whole different meaning down there...

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
Marty#35 said:
Please stop insinuating that Colorado is a better market than Dallas. Your team has no evidence to back up your point that they will sell out regardless of conditions. Last season left a bitter taste in the mouths of fans here. 5th place in the west is not bad, showing little to no effort throughout the majority of the season, and then hanging your goalie out to dry in the PO's ,after he was the sole reason you were there in the first place, while being paid 62+ million dollars, is.

I think another reason for the reductions is that it left a bitter taste in the managements mouth as well and as a result they are not sure whether this team will even make the PO's next year. As a result they are lowering prices (like all teams do when in transition), to prepare for this.
Pretty sure that ColoradoHockeyFan was not insinuating any such thing. Your fellow Stars' fans are the ones talking about how the arena doesn't always sell out and may have trouble doing so in the future because of the lockout.

All we were saying is that the Pepsi Center always sells out, and there's a helluva long wait (around 4 years or at least that's how long I waited on the list to get my season tickets) to get season tickets. That's a fact. Plain and simple. The demand is here. Didn't say it isn't in Dallas, just said it is here.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Marty#35 said:
Please stop insinuating that Colorado is a better market than Dallas. Your team has no evidence to back up your point that they will sell out regardless of conditions.
Would you care to show me where either of us ever said this? You stated that without reducing ticket prices (right now) fans won't go. I'm telling you that here in Denver, if they don't reduce ticket prices one penny right now, they're still going to be sold out. You gave me your assessment of the situation in Dallas (with which you are more familiar). I'm giving you my assessment of the situation here (as well as the assessment of others here, including media members and people closer to the organization than I am). Why am I less qualified to evaluate ours than you are to evaluate yours?

starsgal09

May 1, 2005
Cool...an Avs/Stars fracus. Hockey must be near. :)

The Stars sold out 261 games in a row I believe. That stopped the last season at some point when the team was sucking.

I miss Reunion Arena. No Oiler fan could ever say it was quiet in there for the playoffs.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Would you care to show me where either of us ever said this? You stated that without reducing ticket prices (right now) fans won't go. I'm telling you that here in Denver, if they don't reduce ticket prices one penny right now, they're still going to be sold out. You gave me your assessment of the situation in Dallas (with which you are more familiar). I'm giving you my assessment of the situation here (as well as the assessment of others here, including media members and people closer to the organization than I am). Why am I less qualified to evaluate ours than you are to evaluate yours?

I meant circumstances regarding prices after a lockout. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. You said that they would come regardless of prices.

I never said fans won't go, I said the hardcore fanbase wouldn't go out of protest. That is totally different. Many of the most hardcore fans simply can't afford the pre-lockout ticket prices and as a result frequented the arena sparingly. They would feel cheated if tickets weren't lowered with such a dramatically decreased payroll in place and probly would go less if not at all. Sorry if I offended you. I am no more qualifed than you are.

As for the poster that mentioned the quietness in the PO's. Reduced prices will help bring these fans and those that were lost with the arena change and the subsequent price hikes. Note when I am speaking about "fans" I mean those fans that go to the games (obviously some just watch on TV.) The arena was always full or near full do to corporations buying the boxes and the lower seats much like in other arenas. Fans don't like this as not only can alot of them not afford the tickets but the atmosphere sucked. This is why the atmosphere is rather quiet in the playoffs in comparison to Reunion. Corporate non-fans and there cell phone wielding dumb blonde girlfriends just drink beer and talk to eachother, then leave the game in the 2nd period. I think we will see an increase in intensity at the AAC now that these fans can actually afford to go to the games.

ttoad4000t

Dec 14, 2004
Fort Worth, Texas
starsgal09 said:

The Stars sold out 261 games in a row I believe. That stopped the last season at some point when the team was sucking.

I miss Reunion Arena. No Oiler fan could ever say it was quiet in there for the playoffs.

Thanks, I was about to post that. The Stars little $10 a game thing worked, at least for me and 3 other friends who just purchased 4 season tickets for this section. (Which was $30 before the lockout) :yo:

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
starsgal09 said:

Not just sucking but not even trying. Then of course they followed that up by hanging their goalie out to dry in the PO's, that same goalie who got them there in the first place. And all this with a 62+ million dollar payroll

Bravo :clap:

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
ttoad4000t said:
Thanks, I was about to post that. The Stars little $10 a game thing worked, at least for me and 3 other friends who just purchased 4 season tickets for this section. (Which was $30 before the lockout) :yo:

And the hardcores start pouring in.......

Cheer Loud!

And if you can't go, starsboard.com has a ticket selling section of their board so check that out.

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
We have lots of Corporates too. That's why my friends and I chose our tickets in the third bowl. When our turn came up we were offered the lower bowl (at twice the price) or the third. We chose the third because they were cheaper, but primarily because it's much more fun and deafeningly loud in the third bowl.

Plus, speaking of Corporates, my company has tickets in the 5th row right by the penalty box, so I get my close-seats fix.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Marty#35 said:
I meant circumstances regarding prices after a lockout. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. You said that they would come regardless of prices.
In case I too wasn't clear enough, I believe what I actually said was that they would still go here even without any reduction in prices. My point is that they really have no need to reduce prices for the upcoming season since the building is going to be full. That doesn't mean that there don't exist circumstances down the road that would stop sellouts; of course there do, as there do for any team in the league (with the possible exception of Toronto).

Marty#35 said:
As for the poster that mentioned the quietness in the PO's. Reduced prices will help bring these fans and those that were lost with the arena change and the subsequent price hikes. Note when I am speaking about "fans" I mean those fans that go to the games (obviously some just watch on TV.) The arena was always full or near full do to corporations buying the boxes and the lower seats much like in other arenas. Fans don't like this as not only can alot of them not afford the tickets but the atmosphere sucked. This is why the atmosphere is rather quiet in the playoffs in comparison to Reunion. Corporate non-fans and there cell phone wielding dumb blonde girlfriends just drink beer and talk to eachother, then leave the game in the 2nd period. I think we will see an increase in intensity at the AAC now that these fans can actually afford to go to the games.
On this we most certainly agree. The result of ridiculous ticket prices in any arena--but esepecially in the newer buildings in the league--is that far too high a percentage of the seats are occupied by the "silicone and suits" crowd, particularly in the lower level.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
HF-Addict said:
Thx a lot, I did a quick search on google, told me the arena capacity was 23 000? I find it pretty hard to believe...Still 18,500 people...seems to me like Dallas was doing fine with their attendances.

I assume the 23K figure is for basketball or concerts (w/ floor seats).

A quick check:

Dallas Stars 1999-00 41 697,041 17,001
Dallas Stars 2000-01 41 697,041 17,001
Dallas Stars 2001-02 41 759,632 18,528
Dallas Stars 2002-03 41 759,812 18,532
Dallas Stars 2003-04 41 752,556 18,355
Dallas Stars 2004-05 SEASON CANCELLED

looks like the AAC opened in 01-02.

Dallas Mavericks 1999-00 41 666,177 16,248
Dallas Mavericks 2000-01 41 680,138 16,589
Dallas Mavericks 2001-02 41 802,703 19,578
Dallas Mavericks 2002-03 41 816,429 19,912
Dallas Mavericks 2003-04 41 825,594 20,136
Dallas Mavericks 2004-05 41 822,533 20,061

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The 23,000 is for concerts with floor seats and standing room tickets sold.

I've already had it out with a few of you why I feel Colorado is a more vulnerable hockey market than Dallas. :p:

The Stars were already planning on significantly lowering their prices for the 04/05 season. They'd hit and exceeded, by a little, what the market would bare, and they faced a significant backlash from the personal (rather than corperate) season-ticket holders.

Now, with the lockout having knocked out that season, they're doing it more as a good-will gesture to those folks, because they were at the risk of alienating them at the end of 2004 regardless of the lockout.

And the noise level at the AAC is puny, but that's because it's an arena designed for concerts and to absorb ambient noise. Ask any fan of the Stars who's been around since the late 1990s, and they'll say they miss Reunion's atmosphere, rusty, rat-infested, old tin can that it was,

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Marty#35 said:
Not just sucking but not even trying. Then of course they followed that up by hanging their goalie out to dry in the PO's, that same goalie who got them there in the first place. And all this with a 62+ million dollar payroll

Bravo :clap:
You have got to be kidding me???? You need to stop posting this same crap on every internet message board there is. Marty Turco couldn't have stopped a beach ball in the playoffs last season if he tried, problem was he didn't even try, by his own admission. No the team in front of him certainly didn't play great, but to say they hung him out to dry is a far exaggeration. He let in some pretty lame goals during the playoff's. This is his do or die year.

Marty didn't get them to the playoff's, the team got them there. But he certainly screwed them when with 5 games left in the season he got himself suspended because he couldn't control his childish temper. Hope he learned.

And your analysis of the arena is really quite amusing. How many games in the 2003-4 season did you attend? I attended all 41 home games, plus pre-season and plus playoffs. For this "real" hard-core fan ticket prices were never a problem and actually I have always felt I get a good value for my money. This fan was going back regardless of what they did with ticket prices. Those corporate tickets are what keep your tickets low. Sorry you can't afford $20 a game and now $10 a game. But within a few weeks of the season, you'll find something else to complain about, you always do.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
HF-Addict said:
Btw, I'm not sold on that 23000 numbers. Seems wrong to me, any Dallas fan could confirm it?

I believe 23,000 is for concerts and things of that nature. 18,532 is the capacity for hockey dames.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Im sorry but who do you think I am? How am I complaining and what have I complained about in the past?

EDIT: And who the hell are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad