Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2014 Draft Scouting Reports

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I really REALLY like the Peters pick. We need as many of those defenseman as we can get in the system. He'll be a great NHLer.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Re: Honka's size

Trevor Daley has made a pretty good career for himself with his 5'11", sub 200 lb frame. As long as he's not an oompa loompa and can skate yourself out of problems, he'll be fine.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
i feel like we just picked up a grab bag of defensemen lottery tickets... and depending on which tickets are winners, we might end up with the next generation hatcher, matvichuk, ludwig, or helenius.

i'm okay with that.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Any Finnish posters help out?

Google translate of this is rough:
Viidennen kierroksen toinen varattu suomalaispelaaja oli Miro Karjalainen. 196-senttinen puolustajajärkäle päätyi numerolla 135 Dallas Starsin haaviin, minne päätyi myös Julius Honka.

Karjalaisen varaus tuli täysin puskista, eikä hänelle oltu veikkailtu NHL-varausta. Nuorukainen pelasi viime kaudella Jokerien B-junioreissa viimeistellen koko kauden aikana vain yhden maalin. Karjalainen on puhdas ”stay at home” -puolustaja, eikä hänen odoteta keikkuvan pistepörssin kärjessä.

Reserved for the fifth round of the second Finnish player was Miro Karjalainen . 196-centimeter defender chunks ended up being number 135 Dallas Stars in my net, where you ended up in the Julius Honka .

Karjalainen's book became fully flank, nor was he had been veikkailtu NHL booking. The young man played last season Jokerit B-juniors completing a full season, only one goal. Karjalainen is a pure "stay at home" defenseman, and he expected to adorn the exchange point at the tip.

Link

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Reserved for the fifth round of the second Finnish player was Miro Karjalainen . 196-centimeter defender chunks ended up being number 135 Dallas Stars in my net, where you ended up in the Julius Honka .

Karjalainen's book became fully flank, nor was he had been veikkailtu NHL booking. The young man played last season Jokerit B-juniors completing a full season, only one goal. Karjalainen is a pure "stay at home" defenseman, and he expected to adorn the exchange point at the tip.

Haha I dunno that looks pretty accurate

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Legend I don't believe age has anything to do with it. It's good for DiGiacinto I hope he can stay on the ice and be disciplined even if he does it maybe he carves out a Rinaldo role for himself in the NHL. I am not confident in Sanvido only because I am not a big fan of his game, the game is becoming more up tempo quick passing, moving the puck and those aren't his best characteristics. Sanvido has a lot of work to do not only in Windsor but to show he's worthy of being signed by Dallas taking 6 D of their 9 picks. I like Peters more than Sanvido for example.

Not a glowing review from a fairly rational poster on the Windsor spitfire board

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not a glowing review from a fairly rational poster on the Windsor spitfire board

Doesn't sound much worse that this to me.

Brock Otten's Honorable Mention List:
Patrick Sanvido - Defense - Windsor Spitfires
Started the year off pretty poorly and had a tough time keeping up with the pace of the OHL game. But he got better as the season went on and seems to have regained the trust of Windsor's brain trust as a core piece of this team's future. Still needs to work on his skating and decision making in his own end, but you can't teach the size he has (6'5). Big stay at home guys who actually play up to their size aren't as common as you think.

You're taking major projects in the 7th usually. Sounds like that person may not feel he improved as much as Brock did by the end of the season, but yeah ... sounds like a project guy.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Any Finnish posters help out?

Google translate of this is rough:

Link

The second Finn to be drafted on the fifth round was Miro Karjalainen. The huge 196cm defender ended up in Dallas on the 135th pick, who also landed Julius Honka.

Karjalainen was drafted out of the blue, he wasn't thought to get drafted in to the NHL. The youngster played last season on the Jokerit B-juniors (u18) squad, finishing the season with only one goal. Karjalainen is a pure stay at home defender and he is not expected to be high on the top scorers' list.

Something like that.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Karjalainen moves from Jokerit juniors to HIFK on a 3-year deal. But he'll probably still play a year in the juniors or moves to some Mestis(Finland's 2nd tier) team on loan..

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I reached out to a Finnish poster who a few months ago on this website listed Karjalainen is a potential draft pick. Here's what he had to say:

Tormentor said:
I don't have much to add to what Takko says about him, he sums up the essential there. Huge shutdown D that moves well for his size. Not a great puck mover, but seems comfortable enough with the puck on his blade and makes decent decisions. Showed good physical presence playing against his peers, tough along the boards and in front of the net, some good hits. A raw talent that has plenty of room for growth in his game, just needs to work hard, improve his physique and gain more experience. It's worth the gamble to use a late round pick on a prospect like him.

Played in the Finnish U18 league, it's very rare to see players selected from this league. Usually the Finnish draftees come from the U20 league or are already playing against men. Karjalainen's U18 team became the champions this season, watching the playoffs assured me of his potential. He was very good, in many aspects of the game he showed more promise than his team-mate Miro Keskitalo. Keskitalo was a 1st pairing D at this year's World Under 18 Championships for Finland and spent most of the regular season with Jokerit U20 team, but during decisive U18 playoff games it was possible to compare these two players.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
So essentially, because we signed Jagr for a part of a season we got Dickinson and Haydon. Not a bad deal...

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Can't believe I overlooked this HF article:

Miro Karjalainen, Jokerit U18
6'5", 205, 5/23/96
Espoo, Finland

Purely a defender for the most part this season, Karjalainen dominated the smaller players at the U18 level for B Junior champion Jokerit and continued to show improvement in his skating and stick handling/passing skills through the season. His coaches loved his attitude on and off the ice.

Karjalainen was ranked 139th amongst European skaters in the CSS final rankings

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Elite Prospects updated Nyberg's info. They've got him listed at 190 cm which is 6'2.75" and 196 lbs. He was previously listed at 6'2" and 185 lbs.

They add a blurb about him as well:
Nyberg is a defenseman with two-way ability. He has some offensive tools, good skills with the puck, good first pass and has a bomb for a shot. He’s pretty good on the power play, and has improved his speed a lot the past year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
No I meant to put it in here. I like going back to see where guys were listed at when Dallas drafted them. It'll be easier to find it here later on than buried in the prospect thread.

I figure in all likelihood this new listing is closer to his actual measurable when Dallas took him than the one listed at the time of the draft.

Primetimey*

No I meant to put it in here. I like going back to see where guys were listed at when Dallas drafted them. It'll be easier to find it here later on than buried in the prospect thread.

I figure in all likelihood this new listing is closer to his actual measurable when Dallas took him than the one listed at the time of the draft.

O Sorry, I meant my post. Mod deleted it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad