Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2014 Draft Scouting Reports

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Kyle Woodlief:
14. Dallas Stars - D Julius Honka

Elite offensive talent - far and away the best PP quarterback out west this season. Outstanding distributor and decision-maker on the PP, where he dances past the high defender to drop down into slot and let dangerous snap shots go. Combines offensive flash with a quietly steady defensive game. Will need to add bulk to play at the next level, but his quick adaptation to smaller ice is hard to ignore. Uses quick feet to reach pucks first and elude forechecking pressure, then makes quick decisions once he secures it. Not afraid to step up and make well-timed open ice hits. Great compete level down low in own end - never fazed by heavy contact in puck battles. Absorbs hits to ensure puck gets up to wingers. Calm demeanour; never gets rattled at either end of ice. Plays with head on a swivel and is great at navigating traffic.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Button also said for the pre-draft rankings on tsn:

"Diminutive yet makes a big impact on game. He recognizes opportunity and is quick to take advantage yet is also a very patient player. Outstanding sense and poise and is very difficult to trap. Underestimate him at your peril!"

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Man honestly it does sound like a poor Zubov. Decision making, patience, shots find a way to the net, quick... Hmm.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
People aren't going to like this due to the way things turned out, but he sounds a lot like Larsen, if you can think back to the way Larsen was regarded at a younger age.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Well I'm ****ing ready.

But in all seriousness. The kid will be good, and I think he will grow a few inches over the next year or two. I mean if that's the only thing a few people here are hung up on is his height, then I don't see much fault in the rest of his game.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Zubov was only about 6 feet tall right? I've seen the Erik Karlsson comparable a few times, likely in the other prospects thread. EK is only 5'11" himself. I was really intrigued when his biggest listed strength was "puck poise". That's a rare quality, and I hope it's accurate, I'm excited to see this guy in action.

planoser

Feb 10, 2008
So basically,
ceiling - Zubov
floor - Daley

We'll see how he turns out in the end.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
BrOVJULCIAEGQus.jpg

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
People aren't going to like this due to the way things turned out, but he sounds a lot like Larsen, if you can think back to the way Larsen was regarded at a younger age.

Yes, statistically, he probably is more likely to be a Larsen rather than a Zubov. JN and DA before him were really high on Larsen, whose size meant he never could really play NHL D. I can see that happening, although, Larsen also never had the passing and puck poise to go with his speed and skating.

So, maybe somewhere in between. That said, and assuming both he and Klingberg make the NHL in a few years, we still have a coaches dilemma if we build D with our prospects, as seems more and more likely.

It seems we will have to pair these small skaters with a strong D zone D man, like Dillon or maybe Jamie O, if he ever toughens up. Would be sort of like Hatcher/Zubov, which seemed to work due to the quality of the players. (Yes, I know Matty paired with DH a lot, and Zubov and Sydor worked well together as a good Offensive pair)

In other words, still no Chris Pronger like two way stud to work with and soak up minutes.

Not that it can't work. If we score goals by committee, I guess we can play D by committee, too.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Oh my god Satan, the constant whining... Seriously, you didn't get your oatmeal this morning or something? You're annoying the crap out of me...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
From that link, oh, this will entice the fans:

Brett Pollock’s game is reminiscent of Erik Cole of the Dallas Stars. This isn’t a talent comparison, but rather a look at style. He could develop into a physical second line forward with some secondary scoring if he reaches his full potential.

While Honka sounds like a Nil pick, this sounds like more of a grinder with a bit less talent, and maybe more like a Gainey pick. Time will tell. Looks like most of the elite guys, like Barbasheve, who fell out of the first went quickly. That said, Pollock had an average ranking of 37th among the major scouting services, so he seems like a decent pick by the numbers.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'll modify my post a bit - Larsen was drafted well beyond the days when you could find Euro studs like Jere Lehtinen because you were the only ones looking hard. So, there was probably a reason he was picked in the 5th round.

If we presume the scouts are uniformly informed over time, then there is a reason JH was ranked high enough to go in the first round by most, early second at worst. Granted, the success rate of any draft pick is not guaranteed, even for the top 3 picks (although it gets closer) but I think he will be better than Larsen, with size being the only concern.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'd be ecstatic if he turned into Erik Cole. He was a top six player for a long time.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Had a good showing in the WHL playoffs. Don't remember seeing him that much in the MC, but I also wasn't paying attn.

Two guys from the WHL so far!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Okay, we had honk if you like Honka, the possibility of "Pollock" jokes, and now we have a prospect who may "Peters Out?"

BTW, had Honka gone to Philly, he would have been "Orange Julius." I think more teams ought to consider the great nicknames when drafting.....

PS - Sad part about "Pollack Jokes" is that now their schools rank higher than our in the US (we are now from 23-36 in the world). They are over there telling "Dumb Yankee" jokes......and maybe rightfully so. When my kids were still in HS, we had two Polish exchange students in the neighborhood and both said our schools were much too easy compared to theirs....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad