Dallas Stars 2013 draft preview

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Upheaval was required after the Dallas Stars failed to clinch a playoff berth for the fifth consecutive season. General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk fell on the sword despite a plethora of in-season moves that unloaded roster players. Long-time Red Wings Assistant GM Jim Nill came in and dispatched Head Coach Glen Gulutzan as well.

The Stars are in a state of flux, but the future looks bright. They have a terrific pool of prospects and previous management added some ready or near-ready defensive prospects – a primary need for the organization going forward. Next up, the organization will address their dearth down the middle.… read more

More...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The Stars lacked depth on defense and that caused everyone to play “up” a spot or even a pairing. They relied heavily on rookie standout Brenden Dillon to mind the fort which is not usually a quality of a playoff team. Depth fixtures Stephane Robidas and Trevor Daley can only do so much to stave off defeat before the law of averages gets to them. Alex Goligoski has not been the puck-moving savior that the Stars were hoping when they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen for him in 2011. As a result, the Stars brought in veteran Sergei Gonchar to help matriculate the puck up the ice and help ease some of the tension. He will also be a good role model, stylistically, for recent additions Joe Morrow and Kevin Connauton.

Had to read this paragraph a few times to understand what was being said. :laugh:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The HF staff draft produced the same results as the HF Team Board draft.

If Dallas walks away with Wenneberg and Petan, I'd be very happy.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
The more I hear about Petan the more I think he really is a perfect pick at 29th. It's not a historically advantageous place to draft and this kid has that boom or bust feeling to him, but I think he'd be a great risk for this team. I wonder how he compares to guys like Grimaldi and Schroeder in terms of pure skill. His numbers are crazy.

The last few years I've felt let down by our first rounders. Every time we draft one they seem to have a down year or a lateral one the year after. None of them have exploded for a huge season to be pumped about later. Faksa has been a disappointment so far, I would say. I hope that one of the two guys we pick decides to just go crazy and give us a bluechip prospect to be truly excited about. It has been a while.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
You might say Ritchie had just that type of season, granted he wasn't a 1st rounder. I'm not sure how much that matters after the fact as long as someone does it.

MetalGodAOD*

Oleksiak as well. He's a lot more highly valued after this season than when he left Juniors.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oleksiak as well. He's a lot more highly valued after this season than when he left Juniors.

IDK ... he was very respected after that junior year. Played a shutdown role at WJC, and he was a key cog in a big playoff run for Niagara.

People on our board might have over analyzed his minimal production, but he played a huge defensive role that season.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I believe I'm the leader of the Nic Petan fan club. And this is not the type of player I normally like...but this is a boatload of skill and skating to pass up with a second first round pick.

In the internal discussion here at HF, he was one of my alternate choices for 10th. When I came up again and saw he wasn't picked, I scratched off Shea Theodore from Seattle and put in Petan...he's Patrick Kane lite, IMO.

Let's just see how (much more) stupid I'll look in five years...

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I believe I'm the leader of the Nic Petan fan club. And this is not the type of player I normally like...but this is a boatload of skill and skating to pass up with a second first round pick.

In the internal discussion here at HF, he was one of my alternate choices for 10th. When I came up again and saw he wasn't picked, I scratched off Shea Theodore from Seattle and put in Petan...he's Patrick Kane lite, IMO.

Let's just see how (much more) stupid I'll look in five years...

how would you compare him skillwise to guys like schroeder and grimaldi

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
IDK ... he was very respected after that junior year. Played a shutdown role at WJC, and he was a key cog in a big playoff run for Niagara.

People on our board might have over analyzed his minimal production, but he played a huge defensive role that season.

Yeah but he basically duplicated his offensive production of his last junior season in his first AHL season. I'm loads higher on him now for proving he can do it at that level.

I don't have anything to base it on because most defensemen of his size and skill set usually don't reach their ultimate potential, but I'm guardedly optimistic hat he can be that whole package - huge, long reach, defensive monster, with some hands and high enough hockey IQ to be a legitimate offensive contributor.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah but he basically duplicated his offensive production of his last junior season in his first AHL season. I'm loads higher on him now for proving he can do it at that level.

I don't have anything to base it on because most defensemen of his size and skill set usually don't reach their ultimate potential, but I'm guardedly optimistic hat he can be that whole package - huge, long reach, defensive monster, with some hands and high enough hockey IQ to be a legitimate offensive contributor.

My only point was based on his accomplishments in one year of junior, he should have earned a ton of respect. I got the impression Metal was saying it took him a year before he started catching people's eye. That probably is correct since it takes numbers usually for most people to notice, but Oleksiak's OHL season was very impressive. I agree with you that this year earned even more faith and admiration from the fan base.

MetalGodAOD*

I thought I remember Oleksiak having a meh Junior season until he was traded? I could be wrong.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
My only point was based on his accomplishments in one year of junior, he should have earned a ton of respect. I got the impression Metal was saying it took him a year before he started catching people's eye. That probably is correct since it takes numbers usually for most people to notice, but Oleksiak's OHL season was very impressive. I agree with you that this year earned even more faith and admiration from the fan base.

I guess what I mean is that plenty of NHL defensive defensemen have seasons of 45+ points in juniors. Him putting up 33 in 60 as a 20 year old in the AHL is a damn sight more impressive. I'm a rung below giddy.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I guess what I mean is that plenty of NHL defensive defensemen have seasons of 45+ points in juniors. Him putting up 33 in 60 as a 20 year old in the AHL is a damn sight more impressive. I'm a rung below giddy.

That was quite impressive. Let's hope it translates!

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Could Petan be the massive early pick nobody sees coming? From the sound of it I wouldn't be too surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad