Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
@Devs3cups @ZachaFlockaFlame

I think you guys have a good thumb on the stats sites

Is there any data on how many posts have been hit on Schmid this year? There were 2 tonight and there's been 1 most of the other games he's played, aside from maybe the relief game against Ottawa. Pretty sure there were none in that one.

I'm just trying to better calculate what his save percentage would look like if some of those went into the net.

He's now allowed 10 goals on 163 shots for a .939%. That's including tonight's game.

I figure if 4 of those went in the net it would be 14 goals on 167 shots, which is good for a .917% right now and still pretty solid.

Not all of the post shots would have gone in of course, as I'd bet a goalie is bailed out by a post on average probably close to every other game.
Unfortunately, I have no idea. I know where to find which players have his the most posts/crossbars, but I've looked for goalie posts stats and have never found anything.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sending him down?
What else are they gonna do when Blackwood comes back, keep three goalies and have Schmid play even less? It's not like they're sending Vitek down or keeping Blackwood in the AHL, they aren't even waiver-exempt anyway.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
@Devs3cups @ZachaFlockaFlame

I think you guys have a good thumb on the stats sites

Is there any data on how many posts have been hit on Schmid this year? There were 2 tonight and there's been 1 most of the other games he's played, aside from maybe the relief game against Ottawa. Pretty sure there were none in that one.

I'm just trying to better calculate what his save percentage would look like if some of those went into the net.

He's now allowed 10 goals on 163 shots for a .939%. That's including tonight's game.

I figure if 4 of those went in the net it would be 14 goals on 167 shots, which is good for a .917% right now and still pretty solid.

Not all of the post shots would have gone in of course, as I'd bet a goalie is bailed out by a post on average probably close to every other game.

I don't think that's a stat that gets tracked because of them not being counted as shots anyway tbh, but goalies tend to say they're in the right position if it goes off the bar or post lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What else are they gonna do when Blackwood comes back, keep three goalies and have Schmid play even less? It's not like they're sending Vitek down or keeping Blackwood in the AHL.
If Blackwood stinks in Utica he is not getting minutes over a guy with a .920+ save percentage.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What else are they gonna do when Blackwood comes back, keep three goalies and have Schmid play even less? It's not like they're sending Vitek down or keeping Blackwood in the AHL.
What happens if he gets blown up in his AHL games?

I'd imagine the leash can't be too long with him after he comes back. If he can't hack it, I'd have to think they'll risk waiving him (because he's not gonna play here next year, unless Fitz and company are really indulging in some toxic shit) and bring back the guy that was actually making saves.

Even if the posts have helped him a bit.

But excluding that, his play this year to this point has been very reminiscent to Blackwood's first five games of 2020-2021, which were the last 5 games before the ugly 62 game stretch of .892% that he's currently riding.

Now, he is coming in sporadically, whereas Blackwood was doing in consecutive games, but there was also his covid absence I think between games 3 and 4 of that 5 game stretch.

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I know where to find which players have his the most posts/crossbars, but I've looked for goalie posts stats and have never found anything.
I don't think that's a stat that gets tracked because of them not being counted as shots anyway tbh, but goalies tend to say they're in the right position if it goes off the bar or post lol
Kinda weird.

I knew they tracked players and teams posts/crossbars, so I just assumed they tracked them against goalies too.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Devs3cups

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
What happens if he gets blown up in his AHL games?

I'd imagine the leash can't be too long with him after he comes back. If he can't hack it, I'd have to think they'll risk waiving him (because he's not gonna play here next year, unless Fitz and company are really indulging in some toxic shit) and bring back the guy that was actually making saves.

Even if the posts have helped him a bit.

But excluding that, his play this year to this point has been very reminiscent to Blackwood's first five games of 2020-2021, which were the last 5 games before the ugly 62 game stretch of .892% that he's currently riding.

Now, he is coming in sporadically, whereas Blackwood was doing in consecutive games, but there was also his covid absence I think between games 3 and 4 of that 5 game stretch.
Im cautious to buy in on schmid completely yet... we all know how we felt about Blackie when he first showed up an looked great.

I wonder if Blackwood is a throw in in a trade... a team like Buffalo or Chicago could possibily like him, Buffalo especially they have nothing in the pipeline with more than a faint pulse with UPL not really trending the right way. A Craig Anderson / Blackwood tandem might be tempting for them as they try for a WC spot.

Chicago has nothing in net either, though IDK who we'd be after from them ?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Mango is definitely not the answer. Don't really need to be seeing more of him

thats half the point of my incessant displeasure of him on the team.

he was supposed to be a decent trade pickup... did shit......did something and then did even more shit

and then didnt make the opening roster for good reason.

his time here is over and yes....... not the answer.... and not even a plug that can do duty like a vesey on the PK last season.....

i wonder what he really brings as a winger for this team. no place for him to be anything but a negative value. lindy ran 3 lines again.

why is he dressing johnsson?

Camille the Eel

Stars are the 5th best team in the league and we dictated the game for much of the night.

We need to clear up a few areas and theyll be fine.
I didn’t think we dictated much tonight. In fact I think we played Dallas’ game and not to our own strengths. We went into a close checking and cautious mode and that’s a game Dallas is very good at.

We didn’t play with much freedom or attack and I can’t think of many good looks, grade A looks, we generated all night. And while that may have been Dallas shutting us down, I think we just didn’t play very bold or attacking hockey and didn’t trust our own identity.

Probably we don’t snap out of this until we get back to doing what we do best and to hell with the rest.

Reactions: HBK27

TheFacePainter

Nov 12, 2017
Gave my dad’s tickets to a friend since I had a work event I had to attend. Heard that it was 2-1 before 2 empty netters so thought it couldn’t have been too bad, then I checked twitter and saw we lost to Scott f***ing Wedgewood. What the hell is that?

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Im cautious to buy in on schmid completely yet... we all know how we felt about Blackie when he first showed up an looked great.

I wonder if Blackwood is a throw in in a trade... a team like Buffalo or Chicago could possibily like him, Buffalo especially they have nothing in the pipeline with more than a faint pulse with UPL not really trending the right way. A Craig Anderson / Blackwood tandem might be tempting for them as they try for a WC spot.

Chicago has nothing in net either, though IDK who we'd be after from them ?
I think you're right and you bring up a good point. Blackwood looked this good after his first 5 or 6 games in the league too. Didn't he have 2 shutouts in his first 4 or 5 starts? Yet another reason and stretch that he's still living off of and inciting faith and hope that he's good.

I'm not sure if Schmid is a world beater, he's probably not. But I also think he's the second best goaltender in the organization right now. That could either be a credit to him or a slight to Blackwood.

Daws looked good (not this good) after 5 and even 10 games last year, before the wheels fell off and he should have been thrown back to the AHL.

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Didn't see the game, but this bad spell may be good kick up the butt for Fitz not to be content with the current roster.

We are in a very good position in the standings but if there is a trade possibility that makes the team stronger then Fitz should be proactive is exploring opportunties.

Yes I'm talking about Holtz + 1st for Timo Meier trade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gave my dad’s tickets to a friend since I had a work event I had to attend. Heard that it was 2-1 before 2 empty netters so thought it couldn’t have been too bad, then I checked twitter and saw we lost to Scott f***ing Wedgewood. What the hell is that?
I don't know Puddy, you're the one that's buddies with him, aren't you?:sarcasm:

It's just any goalie can beat any team. I don't think Wedgewood rises to the occasion to stick it to us like some people have you believe.

Yes, he was good, but I thought Dallas played a pretty safe-ish game for allowing 36 shots. That was maybe as good defensively as you could play while allowng 36 shots, other than a bunch of score effects shots when you're up 3-0 or 4-0 for most of the game.

Not sure if it's still gonna be a thing under DeBoer, but it certainly was under Montgomery and then Bowness after him. Goalies were having career years there. There's no way I believe 30-something year old Dallas Stars Ben Bishop was actually better than 20-something year old Lightning Ben Bishop. Especially not with how decrepit of physical shape he was in at the end of his career.

Or 30-something year old Khudobin having career years there after struggling to stay in the NHL just a couple years before that.

If there's a few teams in the NHL that can make Scott Wedgewood look good, Dallas is probably one of them. He looked fine in Arizona last year, but that probably wasn't gonna continue if they were the team to extend him to a 2 year deal and didn't trade him to Dallas, where they extended him. There's a reason that he's 30 years old and this year was literally the first year he was signed with the expectation that he'd play in the NHL. He never came into another season where any team was expecting him to play in the NHL.

He played most of the 17-18 season in the NHL for Arizona after we traded him there when he was third on our depth chart behind Schneider and Kinkaid, before washing out later that year and for YEARS after that. He was signed the next few years for the AHL, including by us in 20-21, but Crawford's untimely and sudden retirement meant he moved up to #2 on our depth chart that year. And we were still jumping to claim guys like Aaron Dell and Eric Comrie. And we re-signed him for 21-22, but that was to be the third stringer.

22-23 at age 30, is the first year he's been signed with the expectation that he'd be on the NHL team going into a season. Literally.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I think Dallas is a legit cup contender. They have a legit #1 D. Center depth. An emerging goal scoring machine. Good complimentary players. They have enough skill to play a more open game but they also have size and grind teams/lock it down. And they have a good young goalie.

I’m not sure why some people pre-game thought the devils could easily just outskate them, much less with the team gassed and in a slump.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Dallas is a legit cup contender. They have a legit #1 D. Center depth. An emerging goal scoring machine. Good complimentary players. They have enough skill to play a more open game but they also have size and grind teams/lock it down. And they have a good young goalie.

I’m not sure why some people pre-game thought the devils could easily just outskate them, much less with the team gassed and in a slump.
They’re an old team, but a pretty good one.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad