Dallas/St Louis sales -- setting the market, same bidders?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/article_d6da7550-649d-5954-90ec-71b296bce4e0.html

St Louis buyers have until 8/22 to submit (non-binding) bids.

However, some of the guys putting bids in on the Dallas franchise, might shift to attempt purchase of St Louis, if their bid is not accepted, including Gaglardi.

A group led by Blues minority owner Tom Stillman remains in the mix [to buy Blues], and a source says Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer is still involved, despite indications that his interest had waned after making an unsuccessful bid. Brad Goldberg, who is CEO of Hulsizer's company PEAK6 Online and who commented for Hulsizer during his pursuit of the Phoenix Coyotes, has not returned messages left by the Post-Dispatch.
Meanwhile, Caporale revealed Tuesday that two groups who are attempting to purchase the Dallas Stars are planning to "move quickly on the Blues" if they are unsuccessful in landing Dallas.
Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi has submitted a bid for the Stars, and according to the Dallas Morning News, four other potential bidders could be among the two that Caporale said had interest in the Blues. They are Dallas oilman Doug Miller; a group that includes local oilman Billy Quinn, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and former Dallas Stars president Jim Lites; Detroit businessman Christopher T. Charlton; and Dallas-area sports entrepreneur Chuck Greenberg.
The Dallas sale is complicated and could extend past the Aug. 22 deadline that Game Plan gave bidders to submit their offers. The Stars could go into a bankruptcy hearing, after which the other groups may try and outbid Gaglardi.
A quick completion of the Dallas deal also could help define the market price for the Blues. Observers have estimated that the Stars could be sold for as much as $230 million. If so, Caporale says it's possible the Blues could fetch $200 million.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Hulsizer is keeping his cards close to the vest, I have a feeling he will make a decent bid for the Blues

I also think Christopher Charlton is probably one of the Dallas groups that are interested in the Blues. Greenberg, the Cuban/Quinn/Lites group, and Miller all have Dallas roots, and probably dont have interest in teams outside of Texas.

MissouriBlues2008

Jan 15, 2009
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/article_d6da7550-649d-5954-90ec-71b296bce4e0.html

St Louis buyers have until 8/22 to submit (non-binding) bids.

However, some of the guys putting bids in on the Dallas franchise, might shift to attempt purchase of St Louis, if their bid is not accepted, including Gaglardi.

$200 million? Wow.

All I want is a good owner who will keep this team competitive. And of course, keep the team here, but the Blues seem likely to stay put.

I am grateful to Checketts. He may have saved the Blues from being moved, but a new owner with more cash may also be a good thing.

The Blues have a bright future and a good fanbase and a suitable newish arena, so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that there are some interested parties.

A Sporting News article I read said that Towerbrook sent out requests for bids from ten interested parties. That seems to be a few more than previously reported.

I wonder why Checketts set his deadline on August 22. Is it because the Stars set the same deadline?

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
$200 million? Wow.

All I want is a good owner who will keep this team competitive. And of course, keep the team here, but the Blues seem likely to stay put.

I am grateful to Checketts. He may have saved the Blues from being moved, but a new owner with more cash may also be a good thing.

The Blues have a bright future and a good fanbase and a suitable newish arena, so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that there are some interested parties.

A Sporting News article I read said that Towerbrook sent out requests for bids from ten interested parties. That seems to be a few more than previously reported.

I wonder why Checketts set his deadline on August 22. Is it because the Stars set the same deadline?

There could be a few reasons for that date, it could be because of when the loan extension runs out or it could be so the team will be sold before the season starts if he sells the team in say November and the team gets off to a horrible start it could lower the value of the team.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The Stars don't have a deadline now per se. We know that Gaglardi has turned his official offer paperwork into the NHL. From there it will be submitted to a Ft. Worth bankruptcy court (the same court that handled the sale of the Texas Rangers), and the other potential buyers will have 30 days to examine the offer. At the end of that time frame, there will be a court-run auction with Gaglardi's bid as the starting bid - the lenders have already indicated that his bid is acceptable, and the bids can only get higher at the auction obviously.

Some reports have mentioned that the lenders want out by October as that is when they'll have to start paying players again, but nothing concrete has come out on that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ers-market-for-nhl-franchises/article2125883/

Reality, according to the anonymous investment banker, is that there are two serious bidders for the Blues at best and neither is willing to put up enough cash to even cover the $120-million (all currency U.S.) bank debt the current owners have on the team. Caporale declined to say who received requests for bids but multiple sources say the main suitors are two groups led by Blues minority owner Tom Stillman and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer, who turned his attention to St. Louis when the political shenanigans around the Phoenix Coyotes grew tiresome.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ers-market-for-nhl-franchises/article2125883/

Reality, according to the anonymous investment banker, is that there are two serious bidders for the Blues at best and neither is willing to put up enough cash to even cover the $120-million (all currency U.S.) bank debt the current owners have on the team. Caporale declined to say who received requests for bids but multiple sources say the main suitors are two groups led by Blues minority owner Tom Stillman and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer, who turned his attention to St. Louis when the political shenanigans around the Phoenix Coyotes grew tiresome.

A lowball offer and the name Matthew Hulsizer seem to go hand in hand.:naughty:

Dado

Even a "made man" like the Blues can't fetch $120M?

Good grief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad