Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Lots of possibilities.

Methot for 29 + prospect
Methot + 6th for 3rd + X
Methot + 12th for 3rd + X.

I am Vegas and have Methot.

You are Dallas and tell everyone you are PUSHING HARD for Methot.

It's going to be overpayment. Because you know, I could aswell keep Methot on my team where he's going to be useful.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And I'm sure your assessment is entirely unbiased. Playing with the best defenseman in the league is a surefire way to make another defenseman look better than he is. I don't think Methot is terrible, but he wouldn't be playing with Karlsson anymore. Also, I don't think Smith is some amazing #1 defenseman or anything, but if he is signed during FA, it costs ZERO assets.

Lazy argument. I am as hard on sens players as some of the most biased leads and have fans out there. The lockout shortened season when Karlsson got hurt Methot carried Gryba in a top 4 role all the way to the playoffs a d a first round win.

The sens are awful without him and have been consistently every time he is out. Look at their record it's bad. He has a very similar impact on a game as Hjarlmasson he just doesn't get any recognition because A. No on watches the sens and B. He plays with Karlsson. Who by the way is not the easiest to play with. Karlsson is much more settled down in his play now but he wasn't always this way. When Karlsson was younger having Meth as a security blanket let him play his game and evolve into the player he is today. Methots range and mobility on the back end is incredibly rare for a defensive d man. He is also incredible at reading and pinching on the left side keeping the zone and a cycle going.

Methot is the perfect partner for Klingberg and will help his development.

Sure he will cost assets but he will make your team much better. Brendan Smith is a talented guy but is nothing like methot. One is a model of consistency the other is the opposite.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Starting his full time NHL career in 08-09, he's played 66, 60, 74, 46, 47L, 75, 45, 69, and 68 games in the regular season. He's missed more than 1 game in 5 over the past 4 seasons and almost the exact same rate over the 9 seasons of his career. If all these absences are fingers being chopped in half, he's only got 1 left.

Last 4 years ...

47L plus 11 playoff games
75 of 82 games
45 of 82 plus 6 playoff games and then 69 of 82 aggravating the same injury
68 of 82 (finger) plus 19 playoff games

Methot being injury prone is a myth. Some of those earlier years he was back and forth to the minors and then sometimes as healthy scratch after 08. He did have one long injury at Columbus, but in Ottawa over the last 4 years he had the one injury where he missed 50 games over 2 seasons and then he has been fairly healthy. He's not "injury prone". He's had one major injury from which he had a hard time coming back, and he might miss a game here or there because of it... but geez... there aren't too many guys who haven't missed a hand full of games each year.

Played ~180 games
Got injured and missed 50 out of ~70 games
Played ~140 games
Had his finger chopped
Came back from finger injury to play 3 playoff rounds

Not injury prone. One major injury. Outside of that 70 game window he has played ~340 of the last 360 games

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I just wish we would (could?) shoot higher than Methot without giving up 3. He's the right idea, I dunno if he's the right guy.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I just wish we would (could?) shoot higher than Methot without giving up 3. He's the right idea, I dunno if he's the right guy.

He would be a good addition to the D-corps no matter what. If we could trade for him and sign Smith it would cap off a summer of significant improvement. Just adding one would be big.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I am Vegas and have Methot.

You are Dallas and tell everyone you are PUSHING HARD for Methot.

It's going to be overpayment. Because you know, I could aswell keep Methot on my team where he's going to be useful.

Yeah, Dallas is going around telling everyone they can "we're pushing so hard for Methot!" :laugh:

:yo: So freakin' good!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Here's the thing. Most Stars fans who dissed the Tanev talk/rumour/idea were all over his injury history and lack of offence. "He's too injury prone", "He only plays 70 games a year", "No way he's a first pairing Dman with those terrible offensive numbers", etc, etc. Look at Methot's numbers, both points and games played. Do you see the similarity? Now, if you can get him cheap, fine, could be an ok pickup, but the same reasons you claimed Tanev isn't a top pairing Dman, has seen Methot play that role in Ottawa and has you welcoming him next to Klingberg on your top pair? How do you not slap yourself for such contadictory comments???

Sure, Methot is a lefty, something you made clear was a need over another RHD, so that alone may make him a better fit than Chris Tanev. But, he also just turned 32 today and has a career high of 23 points, kinda in the same range as Tanev offensively. His GP numbers are similar to Tanev's just over a longer career, which makes it worse.

This will all come down to price (if a trade happens). And I'd hope for your sake (Dallas) they don't give up much, but don't sit there and talk a bunch of crap about how this guy is suddenly gonna be the piece you need to clean up the mess that is your defence!

I'm not pushing Tanev whatsoever and only ever defended what his value is. I agree he may not be a fit in Dallas due to his position on the right side, but comparing him to Methot is just plain wrong.

I don't know why the heck you're going on about this. Your post shows that you know why some are okay with Methot and not Tanev. Price + position.

It's not like all were saying Tanev isn't a top pairing caliber dman. Some did, while some said he wouldn't be on Dallas, which is correct. And are the same people that said Tanev isn't a first pair D also saying Methot is?
So should you slap yourself instead?

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If we give up the 3rd overall pick for Mark Methot I'd be dumbfounded. Even just flipping it (for 15 like some are suggesting) is beyond stupid. The 3rd overall pick is a top-tier asset; Mark Methot is not. A second round pick and a young roster player/prospect or two would be my predicted rate.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If we give up the 3rd overall pick for Mark Methot I'd be dumbfounded. Even just flipping it (for 15 like some are suggesting) is beyond stupid. The 3rd overall pick is a top-tier asset; Mark Methot is not. A second round pick and a young roster player/prospect or two would be my predicted rate.

Exactly. Methot isn't worth near as much as people are pricing him at. At most he's worth the 29th overall + a prospect or roster player. 29th + Oleksiak. Nill isn't stupid and he won't be trading 3rd overall for Methot unless it's Methot + 6th overall and the 3rd overall + Oleksiak maybe or just the 3rd overall alone.

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
I can see the Jets being in on this:

Morrisey-Trouba
Methot-Buff
Enstrom-Meyers

What does Vegas want or need (besides everything)? Jets have lots of forward prospects

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
people are severly overrated Methot....no way he gets #3 and if he does Nill should be fired.

I can't even see a Meth +#6 for #3 swap thats too much for Meth

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Dallas wants a good dman, if they manage to lose the 3rd OV pick and losing Heiskanen…. Many will answer that they could still have Makar at 6, what isnt sure and even there, I dont think that Makar is also solid defensivly.

Methot is good but dont worth the move.

Anyway, with all the moves made yesterday, I think if the Stars realy want Methot, they can find a way to have him by the 29OV

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Methot just isn't worth any trade involving the 3rd overall pick. I don't want to miss on Heiskanen, Makar or Patrick (if he falls). Just because Dallas is open to moving it doesn't mean they'll settle.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
:yo: So freakin' good!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Here's the thing. Most Stars fans who dissed the Tanev talk/rumour/idea were all over his injury history and lack of offence. "He's too injury prone", "He only plays 70 games a year", "No way he's a first pairing Dman with those terrible offensive numbers", etc, etc. Look at Methot's numbers, both points and games played. Do you see the similarity? Now, if you can get him cheap, fine, could be an ok pickup, but the same reasons you claimed Tanev isn't a top pairing Dman, has seen Methot play that role in Ottawa and has you welcoming him next to Klingberg on your top pair? How do you not slap yourself for such contadictory comments???

Sure, Methot is a lefty, something you made clear was a need over another RHD, so that alone may make him a better fit than Chris Tanev. But, he also just turned 32 today and has a career high of 23 points, kinda in the same range as Tanev offensively. His GP numbers are similar to Tanev's just over a longer career, which makes it worse.

Jeez. The single major difference here is that Methot can play with Klingberg and Tanev can't. It's as simple as that. Tanev is definitely a 1st pairing guy but not on a team with John Klingberg.

I would like proof that Stars fans were harping on Tanev's lack of offense. I feel like that point of yours materialized out of thin air.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
DAL. Would be willing to trade the #3oa for a 32 yo Dman? Holy ****! What would you give up for Brodin?!

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I'm not ready to part with Dickinson for 2 years of a veteran defenseman. Janmark, I'd definitely be okay with, but due to his injury, it's unlikely. Shore on the other hand?

Dickinson is the one I would want to keep the most and I don't think Janmark has any value until he shows he can play again. As for shore I would 100% move him for this because I think his skill set is redundant woth Dickson and Janmark here and even more so if Hintz makes a push

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I take ownership of the Tanev is injury prone argument. Maybe I am the only one who cared about that part of the rumor. But Methot has 71 missed games over 4 years, 1 less than Tanev. Not a good bet to make on a 32 year old with a history of missing lots of time.

Yeah he has missed time and he makes me worried for that but he left handed has top pairing experience and would cost us a fraction of Tanev. I'm fine if we go for him but I'm also not going to be heart broken in the slightest if we dont

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad