Dallas pulls off a broadway type deal

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Zach Parise was seen in the Dallas airport today heading on a plane to the sunny beaches of Florida seen hours later coming back was young winger James Van Reimsdyk, Big power forward Alexei Ponikarovsky, and young defensive prospect Tj Brodie. The Dallas Stars held a press conference at the American Airlines center to introduce the newest players. " Parise is a big part of our team we weren't expecting to trade him but we were approached with this offer and the chance to add a young potential star an add to our prospect pool we will miss Parise but we feel JVR can be a very talented winger for us poni brings in a solid replacement on a cheep deal we wish Parise the best of luck in Florida". Many speculate that this is more of a cap move as both Parise and Toews are up for contracts very soon some think they couldn't hold onto both stars. Will this offer be worth giving up a scoring star only time will tell.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Hey Brock you better not answer the door at your house or avoid any cops because you'll get arrested for ****

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Hey Brock you better not answer the door at your house or avoid any cops because you'll get arrested for ****

Matter of perspective. I actually thought Dallas got a great deal on this one. i know I would have agreed to the trade too if I was the Dallas GM and Brock made that offer.

In the short term Florida wins but I suspect in two years it won't be viewed that way.

JVR has a good shot at being a top end all-round package player in a couple of years which the SIM loves, unlike guys like Parise.

Brodie has a reasonable shot at having a long workman like NHL career as anywhere from a number 3 to 6 dman.

Ponikarovsky - short term fill

He saved $1M in cap room in the short term to bring in other help and in the next year or so Parise is going to be getting a huge raise.

All in all it will come down to how JVR pans out and I'd bet on JVR doing just fine.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Good trade for both teams...reminds me of Hossa vs Ryan trade couple years ago where everyone was all over Martin but in the end it worked out for both teams.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
JVR has a good shot at being a top end all-round package player in a couple of years which the SIM loves, unlike guys like Parise.

Parise isn't a top end all around player already?

I think it's a lot of risk for Dallas to trade a current star for someone you hope might one day turn out as good as Parise. JVR does have a lot of talent around him though, he should have a good opportunity to get there.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Parise isn't a top end all around player already?

I think it's a lot of risk for Dallas to trade a current star for someone you hope might one day turn out as good as Parise. JVR does have a lot of talent around him though, he should have a good opportunity to get there.

Not really. He got 'generous' ratings from a DF and intensity perspective this year and even then they're still mediocre. Last year they were all in the low 60's for Parise and I wouldn't be surprised if they were back in that range next year. His DF in particular seems strangely generous since he only averaged 33 seconds per game on the PK last year which ranks only 16th among NJ players never mind the league.

Either way, no question there is a real gamble element but whereas some of the other Dallas trades may have made me scratch my head this one wasn't one of them. Again I would have made the same deal and I'm not a big risk taker.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Good trade for both teams...reminds me of Hossa vs Ryan trade couple years ago where everyone was all over Martin but in the end it worked out for both teams.

Interesting comparison. If I remember correctly, the Hossa/Ryan trade stirred up discussion on the trade blog at the time, similar to what we're seeing on the board today. It's interesting to see how there are different perspectives on these things, both on Parise and JVR. There's also a certain parallel to Brock's move last year for Markov, which sent Brent Burns the other way.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Not really. He got 'generous' ratings from a DF and intensity perspective this year and even then they're still mediocre. Last year they were all in the low 60's for Parise and I wouldn't be surprised if they were back in that range next year. His DF in particular seems strangely generous since he only averaged 33 seconds per game on the PK last year which ranks only 16th among NJ players never mind the league.

Interesting that you say that, considering I'd consider Parise to be a well above average defensive forward. If anything, his 72 DF is below where it should be IMO.

Let's not forget that PK time on ice isn't the be all and end all of defensive ability. Pavel Datsyuk wins Selke Trophies while averaging a minute a game on the PK. Sometimes with elite two way players, you have to rest them and they can't play on the number one units of everything, especially when you have capable guys who can kill penalties and play 10 minutes even strength.

Parise was 8th in Selke voting in 2009 and 12th in Selke voting last year. So I'm not the only one who views him as a quality defensive forward.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Let's not forget that PK time on ice isn't the be all and end all of defensive ability.

I've been saying that ever since we changed to just using PK time for the DF rating but I've been disagreed with any time I've challenged it.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Interesting that you say that, considering I'd consider Parise to be a well above average defensive forward. If anything, his 72 DF is below where it should be IMO.

Let's not forget that PK time on ice isn't the be all and end all of defensive ability. Pavel Datsyuk wins Selke Trophies while averaging a minute a game on the PK. Sometimes with elite two way players, you have to rest them and they can't play on the number one units of everything, especially when you have capable guys who can kill penalties and play 10 minutes even strength.

Parise was 8th in Selke voting in 2009 and 12th in Selke voting last year. So I'm not the only one who views him as a quality defensive forward.

I see a lot of Parise on TV in the market I live in (well... not this year), and quality defensive forward is an understatement. Anyone who doesn't see him (at the very least) as an above average defensive forward, obviously has not seen much of him.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Wow... I like JVR, but what a steal for Florida getting Parise for that package.

I have to agree with this. I think the absolute best case for Dallas is that it gets similar production with a lesser cap hit. To me, that just isn't enough upside to make this kind of a deal. For a star player, just entering his prime, one player with star potential is not enough in my opinion.

But, seeing how many championships I've won, we know what my opinion is worth.

Brent Burns Beard