Speculation: Dallas Off-Season Moves

Best Scenario?

• Total voters

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Which moves are you guys wanting to see the most this year?

You can pick 2 of the options.

Think of the 2nd pick as your plan b if your 1st selection falls through.

I’m not seeing a consensus so I’m curious to see how this turns out. I know we all have different views on what the teams needs are currently.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The 2 big acquisitions would be exciting.

Tbh, if I could only have 1 of DeBrincat or Karlsson, it's a reallyyy tough choice. DeBrincat would probably be a better use of assets and is less risky but man Karlsson might just be a piece that could put us over the top and definitely fills a bigger need (although another goal scorer aint so bad either). Come playoff time, Karlsson is probably the guy we need.

I'm definitely team go big in the summer and add depth pieces at the deadline. I know some people prefer minimal change in the offseason but nah not me. Sooner the better

Still wish we got Burns last year. Could've quite possibly changed how the season ended for us.

Reactions: Dallasman

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Also, I definitely feel that DeBrincat will end up in Detroit 100%.

He's from Michigan, they have a ton of cap space, Yzerman wants to be aggressive, they have 2 1st round picks this year and next year. He's Detroit's if they really want him. No shot we can compete with whatever they throw at him/Ottawa unless they really want a prospect/NHL ready young player. Ottawa doesn't have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd this year. I'm sure they'd like to acquire some picks

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The votes piling up for Dadonov are great. I think we can re-sign him pretty cheap though so I’m not sure if he hinders our plans to bring in a high-end player if we move other big salary out.

If we don’t land DeBrincat, which I agree Detroit has the highest odds due to it being an easier transaction, I’d like to bring back Domi and Dadonov both and count on Bourque and Stankoven to make some noise in the long run.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Dads and Domi really gave us a top 9 with ability to score, and they were mid level scorers. If we could somehow get the cat to replace one of those (probably Domi) then we would really have a top 9 that could score. Yes, we probably need 1 new D, but if you count Harley and Nils, maybe JN could consider forward a bigger priority.

That said, I doubt there will be any big moves like we are discussing here. Nill knows that many good teams do not win the Cup, as only one wins, and being around that level (which we were/are, i.e., a dumb Suter giveaway basically cost us a realistic chance of winning the series, combined with two big dud games) and probably thinks HF is over reacting.

If the reports are true, and Nill always says he is talking all the time, I am sure he is making offers, but doesn't need DeBrincat as much as others may. He also has to weigh whether he thinks Stank will be DeBrincat II, and both younger and cheaper. Given how highly everyone seems to think of Stank, my guess is that the odds favor bringing him up, given cap problems. If Stank matches Wyatt's 24 goals, at about $1 Mil, how much more would the cat's 27goals from last year (or more, perhaps 30 or 40, but scorers do start to decline (typically) at his age) be worth?

I mean if that money was spread out between Dads, Domi, and/or a few others, their total goal output would be greater for the same money. The argument for DeB is that we expect 1 or 2 of Mush, Benn, and Pavs (and maybe Segs) to decline in production so we probably need a true scorer to compete next year.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
A lot of votes going to ‘Other Trade Option’. Any of you have a player you’d like to see us target? Or a position you think we need to address via trade?

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
A lot of votes going to ‘Other Trade Option’. Any of you have a player you’d like to see us target? Or a position you think we need to address via trade?
One of Calgary's Dmen. I'd be open to Hanafin, Tanev, or Weegar depending on the price. I'm not sure that Weegar is available but with the way their players are submitting trade requests, he may become available pretty soon as well.

I think a legit partner for Miro or a Dman that can really anchor the second pair is the biggest need on this team. We have Bourque and Stank knocking on the door plus Dads can probably be resigned for cheap, so as much fun as it would be to pick up Debrincat, I think resources are better spent on the D.

If Nill could figure out how to fit a top 2/3 Dman AND Dcat, I'd be all for it. But I think that requires multiple contract dumping moves that Nill hasn't shown much taste for.

Reactions: Johno

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Picked Karlsson and resign Dadonov, but I heavily endorse Tanev from Calgary.

Attachments

• 70914251876__0F2ED352-DCE2-47B1-B30D-B002C7569299.jpeg
    70914251876__0F2ED352-DCE2-47B1-B30D-B002C7569299.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 3
  • 70914244384__F8DDBA82-F88D-421B-ACBF-EA47283A963F.jpeg
    70914244384__F8DDBA82-F88D-421B-ACBF-EA47283A963F.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 2

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Thanks for the high participation guys. Not even 24 hours old and almost 30 voters.

Even though ‘Trade for DeBrincat’ is in the lead, I think this paints a better picture on what our consensus is.

We have high hopes Nill can move some salary out and bring in an impact player like DBC/EK65/Hanifin. If those trades fall through and we’re outbid it seems like people are comfortable bringing back Dadonov and holding off until TDL to see where we’re at while we give Stankoven/Bourque/Harley some room to grow.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I think Karlsson fits perfectly into what this team needs, if he can sustain even 70% of his last season's performance. Having someone that can log crazy minutes with Heiskanen and not be an active detriment (Suter) would have made such a difference in the playoffs against Vegas. I think with a season with the team under his belt, Lundqvist should be ready for a consistent role along with Harley, but neither will be top-pairing defencemen.

Tanev would be a nice fallback option if something can't be worked out with San Jose. It's a shame Bischel was injured late in the season. Not that I want the Stars to rush him, but a hulking, puck-moving defenceman would be a nice stand-in replacement for someone like Hakanpaa.

I think that Dadanov and Domi are easily replaced with Stankoven and Bourque, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are more impactful players already next season.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Cat and Karlsson are pipe dreams and not gonna happen. Like was mentioned above, if Yzerman wants Cat, Yzerman will have him while Jim Nill pops Metamucil from the sidelines.

I would love a combo of Domi re-signing + Rookies with hopefully a solid (but inexpensive) dman signing. I think bringing in Stank and Bourque at the same time and expecting full time play out of both of them might be asking too much. Though I do have a dream of Stank on the wing with Domi...

Plus, I'm not that convinced Bourque is a player please don't kill me thx.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I’d pass on bringing back either Domi or Dadonov but the offense has question marks. Can Benn replicate last season? Does Marchment bounce back? Pavelski will be 2 full seasons removed from the write-off year of his 3-year contract. Not sure what the answer is.

If Dadonov comes back on a friendly deal I wouldn’t be mad at it.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Weegar would be nice

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I think Karlsson fits perfectly into what this team needs, if he can sustain even 70% of his last season's performance. Having someone that can log crazy minutes with Heiskanen and not be an active detriment (Suter) would have made such a difference in the playoffs against Vegas. I think with a season with the team under his belt, Lundqvist should be ready for a consistent role along with Harley, but neither will be top-pairing defencemen.

I think if Miller could fill in the top pairing role and not active hurt the team while being paired with Miro, then I think Nils/Harley can probably do the same, more effectively too

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I would like toffoli. Any chance Calgary is willing to part with Andersson? At the rate they are going they need to rebuild. Too many players want out.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Nill HAS to get one of Hanfin/Weeger/Tanev is Calgary is doing a fire sale.

Hanafin would be a perfect fit on the right side here.

Reactions: Dallasman

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

I misread the OP and thought it was asking what I thought would happen and knowing Nill, I said re-sign Dadonov and then probably another random (vet d-man) or something.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I misread the OP and thought it was asking what I thought would happen and knowing Nill, I said re-sign Dadonov and then probably another random (vet d-man) or something.
No worries you can still change your vote
Isn't 27 the age most scores start to decine?
26-28 are peak years, 29 is the beginning of decline but it’s not a sharp decline until after 31-32. Especially for the type of player DBC is. I expect DeBrincat to track slightly better than Marchessault (32y/o) throughout his career

IMG_2485.jpeg

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think when you have a chance to acquire an elite goal scorer entering his prime you go for it. Gives us flexibility to move j-rob if contract talks go south

Robertson is on a trajectory that may land him above Modano in terms of importance to the franchise. They better f***ing not go south

Reactions: redbeardtx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad