Dallas is a Paper Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Thing is, I'd take them in a 7 game series over almost every other Western team except Vegas.

This series right here might as well be the WCF, imo. Unfortunately for the Stars, they suck against Vegas for whatever reason

Yup. Vegas could very well come out of the West. The West is an absolute gauntlet this year.

Reactions: Summer Rose

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thing is, I'd take them in a 7 game series over almost every other Western team except Vegas.

This series right here might as well be the WCF, imo. Unfortunately for the Stars, they suck against Vegas for whatever reason
I was actually talking to a friend about this matchup and in a true 1-16 playoff format both of these teams might end up in a final 4 easily or even the SC final.

I feel bad for Tanev though class act and this might be his last shot.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Vegas looks as good as I thought they would, but I'm still going to have to agree with people who are disappointed with how the Stars have come out in the playoffs. Struggling to move the puck or operate in tight spaces, and way too many defensive breakdowns.
Vegas' 1-2-2 system is a really bad match up for the Stars honestly. I thought that Goaltending would win this series for Dallas, but thus far Oettinger has looked very human. Still time for them to come back, but winning 4 of 5 vs Vegas is a tall task for anyone.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
They are the hipster team right now because of their drafting and that they are an NHL Southern market and that they have a lot of good players without a big hole in their team.

But they aren't a team that scares you. They don't have any of the NHL's true elite players. Heiskanen might the closest they have, but lets face it most people aren't picking him over Makar, Fox, Hedman, Hughes. Robertson and Hintz are players that often get a reputation as underrated offensive players around the league, but they aren't even facing up to Stone and Eichel, let alone what a potential matchup with McDrai would like like. Oettinger has had a mediocre year and right now isn't the player he's known as.

Their young players are good, but not ready to carry them yet and they aren't like Bedard level guys either.

I wholly disagree. They aren't my cup favourite, and I don't think they are a good match-up to beat Vegas, but they are not a paper tiger, they are one of the best teams for this years' playoffs.

They have a coach who lacks the adaptability to not only adjust to counter their opponents abilities, but to also do so when they are against a team that matches up favourably against them stylistically. Sure, that's a heck of a big ask, but winning the Cup is a heck of a big ask. They don't have a proven, consistent elite playoff goaltender, and with one of their D-Men not being a 10+ minute serviceable d-man + lacking an elite defensive forward who can eat big minutes, even with a good #1 D like Heiskenen, league-best depth, a good coach, veteran presence like Pavelski, and strong offensive weapons like Robertson, they don't show the ability to adapt to a team who matches up so favourably versus them, who also has their best offensive player playing to his peak in the playoffs, clutch high-end fwds performing clutch, a #1D, veteran presence, no d-men who can't eat minutes as well as high-end D who can eat lots of minutes, and a selke-calibre fwd who can eat minutes. Their goaltender, though unproven, especially in big games/high-pressure, appears to be reasonable to consider at least league average to this point.

If they win this series, they have a good shot at reaching the finals, but aren't my pick for the cup. But Vegas is positioned better compared to them.

So is Dallas - on paper this should be a very close series.

Yes, Dallas is stacked, but I disagree that on paper this should be a very close series. On paper I think this series favours Vegas to a pretty strong extent.

Reactions: Devonator
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
They don't have a proven, consistent elite playoff goaltender, and with one of their D-Men not being a 10+ minute serviceable d-man + lacking an elite defensive forward who can eat big minutes, even with a good #1 D like Heiskenen, league-best depth, a good coach, veteran presence like Pavelski, and strong offensive weapons like Robertson, they don't show the ability to adapt to a team who matches up so favourably versus them, who also has their best offensive player playing to his peak in the playoffs, clutch high-end fwds performing clutch, a #1D, veteran presence, no d-men who can't eat minutes as well as high-end D who can eat lots of minutes, and a selke-calibre fwd who can eat minutes.
Most impressive run-on sentence ever?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think it's a bump in the road more than anything else or a bad match up. In the last few years the Stars went far a lot of times, SCF, etc....And when they faced my team this year, it was one of the most impressive dominant teams I had seen this year. More than Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad