Dallas Eakins constantly makes bad decisions

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Completely right. Though it's gotta be easy for you, with Eakins giving you so many opportunities to showcase his ignorance. The article pretty much writes itself. Good read, and thanks.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I blame the California weather. Hard to put together a gameplan and make personell decisions when you are constantly standing in front of a mirror combing your hair crying, "oh the humidity".

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
MacT: “When do you think we should debut Nurse?”
Eakins: “Let’s wait and throw him to the wolves against LA on the road, when we can’t even protect his minutes. We’ll just sit our best defenseman to make room, no biggie.”
MacT: “Sounds good. You’re a genius. Kiss me.”

Tee hee. And yes, this is a good article.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I thought for sure one of the main points would be the swarm. I mean, we looked good for stretches but was definitely exposed in the LA game.

-I just don't understand his logic at all. He said he wanted to have people earn spots, yet he brings in Brad Hunt. Hunt did not have a better pre-season than Klefbom/Nurse. On the flip side, Marincin is more proven and should deserve a spot. You don't ask a guy to play on his offside and then "make an example of him".

-Up front, Joensuu and Pinner had good pre-seasons while Will Acton was invisible. Yet, Acton not only makes the team but isn't scratched.

-Another thing that bugged me was Yakupov scoring a goal by putting his shoulder down and driving to the net but not getting rewarded for it. Meanwhile, players who aren't playing well continue to get icetime. This is definitely shown when Eberle and Pouliot get chances in the shootout. It's like Eakins follows his pre-game plan to a T and isn't capable of making decisions mid-game.

-Eakins used a timeout AFTER a penalty kill was over. Your offensive guys are well rested while the Sedins are tired. What's the point of this?

-While other teams were icing NHL lineups and developing chemistry, we still had an AHL team fighting for spots. If you know you have problems having a good start, why handicap yourself?

-He scratched Petry

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
I blame the California weather. Hard to put together a gameplan and make personell decisions when you are constantly standing in front of a mirror combing your hair crying, "oh the humidity".

hehe. I can see it.
This is surely to be my favorite thread. I can't stand the guy.
And even if we do win tonight, that won't change.
Still can't believe last summer in his intro conference he talked about how Roger Nielsen said he (Eakins) would make his mark as a coach... tooting your own horn before ever winning a NHL game, I knew we were in for it right then. What an idiot. Almost hope we lose so we can move on from this guy quicker...
Ramsey for head coach, please!

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
Good read. Thanks for this.

I think you nailed it in the last part, where you say that he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and it just goes back to the mindset of the entire management group.

Obviously you need your coach to be opinionated and confident but at the same time he's trying to reinvent hockey and it's not working.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
"However, Dallas Eakins apparently thinks he’s smarter than everyone else in the game, and that’s a problem."

Nice work. Great article. Quite a few puzzling decisions indeed. I can't deal with this until April...

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
It doesn't just make any sense, everything he does is absolutely BACKWARDS and CONTRADICTORY.

Hell, if I put zero weight into anything that guy says then how does anyone expect the players to buy into this circus of a system?

I didn't believe anyone could say one thing and then do something completely opposite at that level and with so little care but here we are. Accountability. I think Coach Eakins needs an Accounabilabuddy.

4.jpg

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
MacT and Eakins go for breakfast

Eakins: i will have the 3 strips of bacon and 2 eggs for $8.99
Waiter: sir today we have a breakfast special, $4.99 and you can have your pick from the breakfast buffet
Eakins: but i want the 3 bacon and 3 eggs for $8.99
Waiter: but you can get 3 bacon and 2 eggs from right there for $4.99
Eakins: I didnt chop water and carry wood to be told by someone less smerter than me how to order breakfast, its about details, i want the 3 bacons 2 eggs for $8.99
Waiter: ok sir its your money, if you want to spend an extra $4 for the same thing thats your choice, again its your money..
MacT: its not his money it Daryls HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this happen every day

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
i never heard of the possibility that Eakins sat Petry to punish him for an off-ice incident. To me, that makes some sense. The only other logical option is that he was still in injury recovery, but that doesn't jive with me because of his wife's tweet that night.

I don't see how it could be based on merit either. Petry has had his troubles in the past but so far this season he's been our most consistent producer. It seems every other Dman has had either had a bad game in Calgary, or a bad game in Vancouver. I don't see how it could be about skillsets either, since Petry has a better offensive dimension to his game than guys like Fayne and Ference (probably Nikitin too), and a better physical dimension than Schultz and Hunt (and probably our other Dmen too).

The trade route doesn't make any sense, because of course he is still an Oiler today. I suppose a deal might have fallen through that night, but that doesn't make sense to me. If a player is scratched over a trade, that means the trade is pretty much a done deal.

The last option is that Eakins is just completely out of touch, but unlike many here I don't believe that at all. He's a smart hockey mind who knows this game better than anyone here. I'm not buying into the caricature that's being painted on places like this board.

So to me, the option that makes the most sense is that something off-ice happened. That definitely flows well with what Jeff's wife tweeted and there is some other smoke that indicates that: namely that he signed a one year, just-get-me-the-heck-out-of-here deal.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Good article. Only three games into the season yet so many things to pick at already.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Thanks for the kind words all.

I actually had to cut a few things from the list because I was afraid the article was going to be too long, haha. There's definitely a lot of material already.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm really beginning to question Mr. Bean as well.

All those points laid out like candies in a candy emporium.

I've had my fights here trying to back Bean, but now I've got a slightly different perspective on how I'm going to view things.

Gonna be an interesting season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
On Nurse, you're right and you're wrong.

Start against Calgary - Home opener for Calgary and season opener for Edmonton. - Some people will think that's too much pressure for Nurse.
Start against Vancouver - Home opener for Vancouver AND being on national TV! Even worse idea than the Calgary game if you agree with the justification of putting him in the Calgary game.

For whatever reason Petry was out of the line-up against Calgary, it's flat out dumb... but Nurse should have been playing for that third game because we only have the kid for nine games if we're going to send him down.

If he was given right prep talk about taking the game in stride before it happens it would probably have been a good experience for him.

The best thing happened to him, too. He had a shift where he nailed a guy behind the net and then he went out of position to nail another guy on the side boards and it lead to us giving up a goal. We knew this was his big flaw and he got to see the problems that follow that flaw against the best team in the NHL.

If Nurse is smart, he'll learn from it and he'll learn to be more cautious about going for the big hit. Dion Phaneuf was the same when he came into the league.

I totally agree with the rest of the article.

Bench hunt for the next 5 games.

If Nurse stays up send Hunt down and bring up Aulie.
If Nurse goes down bring back one of Klefbom or Marincin.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Hey Oilers fans,

Not breaking news, but I wrote a piece today detailing exactly how Dallas Eakins has effed the dog so far. Have a read if you wish!

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/10/edmonton-oilers-it-doesnt-make-any-sense/

It's not even bad decisions. It's his inability to get the most out of young, skilled players. His entire history as a player and a coach proves this. He actually has a hard time differentiating personalities and motives. He's a great AHL coach to help fringe players make the jump through hard work and perseverance. He can't understand how things come easier for some guys and he tries to coach that out of them. He's not a teacher at all. Look at his run-ins with Kadri and Gardiner prior to the horrible job he's done here.

He wants robots. That's why guys like Hendricks succeed under him. Compare that to a guy like Blashill who challenges young guys but allows them to still have "their game" helping them become complete players. Look what he's done with Jurco and Sheahan with Detroit.

His x and o's are just fine. Problem is he keeps putting circles into squares.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Goals against is crazy right now. I honestly thought MacT bringing in Nikitin, Fayne, Pouliot
, Gordon, Fasth, etc, would improve the GA/A, but clearly it hasn't. You can't expect the forwards to score 5-6 goals per game.

The system is flawed. Break outs are awkward, D-zone coverage is horrendous, and down-low support lacks consistency. Basic communication seems to be an issue here

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
i never heard of the possibility that Eakins sat Petry to punish him for an off-ice incident. To me, that makes some sense. The only other logical option is that he was still in injury recovery, but that doesn't jive with me because of his wife's tweet that night.

I don't see how it could be based on merit either. Petry has had his troubles in the past but so far this season he's been our most consistent producer. It seems every other Dman has had either had a bad game in Calgary, or a bad game in Vancouver. I don't see how it could be about skillsets either, since Petry has a better offensive dimension to his game than guys like Fayne and Ference (probably Nikitin too), and a better physical dimension than Schultz and Hunt (and probably our other Dmen too).

The trade route doesn't make any sense, because of course he is still an Oiler today. I suppose a deal might have fallen through that night, but that doesn't make sense to me. If a player is scratched over a trade, that means the trade is pretty much a done deal.

The last option is that Eakins is just completely out of touch, but unlike many here I don't believe that at all. He's a smart hockey mind who knows this game better than anyone here. I'm not buying into the caricature that's being painted on places like this board.

So to me, the option that makes the most sense is that something off-ice happened. That definitely flows well with what Jeff's wife tweeted and there is some other smoke that indicates that: namely that he signed a one year, just-get-me-the-heck-out-of-here deal.

What past issues with Petry do you speak of?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You should make a timeline for every stupid thing Eakins does. So far, he's already off to a good start for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad