Confirmed with Link: Dallas/Arizona: J. Peters + J. Hache for B. Ranford + B. Troock

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't know anything about these players. Maybe some AHL vets to bulk up Tucson for a playoff run? We're going to be needing some of their guys soon in Fischer, etc once we move Hanzal, Vrbata, etc.

Biggest name here is Justin Peters. He lost the starter's role to Adin Hill.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Don't know anything about these players. Maybe some AHL vets to bulk up Tucson for a playoff run? We're going to be needing some of their guys soon in Fischer, etc once we move Hanzal, Vrbata, etc.

Speaks volumes about Hill's progression. Or Peter's regression...

Any Dallas fans have a scouting report on the Brandens?

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south

Yes i agree-- if they anticipate moving opening up 1-2 roster spots thru trading Hanzal, Stone, etc, for draft picks /prospects, but not trading Smith/Domingue, then it makes sense to bring in a couple more AHL-level players (in exchange for a goalie) to have in the mix for when someone like Fischer is on the big club on a more permanent basis for the last ~month of the season. Fischer and Wood/Deangelo could be finishing the season with the team, so adding these Stars dudes just helps with depth

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Surprised we got Ranford for Peters and Hasche. I don't know anything on Trook, but Ranford is a good AHL player and relatively young and cheap.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Due to the log jam at goalie in the minors this makes a lot of sense. Bringing in Peters initially was a good idea but since Hill is a bit ahead of schedule this is a good solution for everyone.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I thought Peters was a good pickup and would steal a backup position behind Smith. Was really impressed with what I saw of him in Carolina. Goalies are a crap shoot and you should never break the bank for one or overpay in trade (or draft in the 1st).

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dallas fan here :

Troock - Not good , AHL bottom liner / ECHL-er 2012 5th rounder with expiring contract that wasn't going to get re-signed

Ranford - Good AHL-er last couple of seasons , made AHL-All-Star game last year and had a call-up to Dallas two years ago but lost his spot to better prospects . Played 4th line mostly this year with Texas , is also expiring and was not going to be re-signed. Deserved to get a shot somewhere else since he wasn't going to get another with Dallas imho.

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Very much a minor league trade, opening up a spot in Tucson for Langhamer and giving the Roadrunners more flexibility to stay competitive with the musical chairs going on between them and the Coyotes.

Ranford is a dependable AHL scorer with little to no major league potential. Troock is a bottom six grinder at the AHL level, likely just a warm body to keep the contracts even on both sides.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I've never been more underwhelmed by a trade between two teams I care a ton about.

Peters redundant. Hache is a Maloney guy, probably doesn't have a path to the NHL here.

Stars defense is still a mess. A couple forwards they apparently don't need.

*yawn*

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I like it. Get a good AHL player for the Roadrunners. And trading Peters will allow Hill to get more starts, and possibly Langhamer will get called up from the ECHL and get some experience against better competition.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know if this moves Langhamer up for the long term, or if there is another part to a deal being worked on.

While I thought we would ride out Peters the remainder of the year, we will likely pick up a goalie as a part of a deadline deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad