Dale Tallon is now the Panthers GM again

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Really? That's embarrassing management. At least they had the courage to admit they made a mistake??

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Really? That's embarrassing management. At least they had the courage to admit they made a mistake??

One of the signs of good management and leadership IS admitting your mistakes. I'm not saying the Panthers management is "good" at this point but it's definitely a start in terms of righting the ship. I expect the Panthers to be a lot more competitive next season once they get an actual coach.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Anyone want to draw up a timeline for what exactly happened in Florida this year?

Panthers have best regular season in team history some of it luck (PDO out of this world) then get bounced in the first round of the playoffs by a terrible Islanders team. (Islanders had 3 less points playing in a tougher division but according to some Panther fans didn't belong on the ice with the Panthers in the playoffs) Somebody in management Rowe (zero NHL management experience), Joyce(3 years experience 1 as AHL GM) or both (I'd guess) convinces the owners the Panthers can play just like the Penguins and analytics will be a big part of it. Tallon gets bumped up to a higher management position and Rowe becomes GM. Team replaces everybody, trainers, doctors, guy who ran the practice facility. Team brings in Marchessault, Sceviour, Yandle, Demers, in free agency and trades Gudbranson and Kulikov for McCann and Pysyk. Defense is 2/3 new and not very good at defense team blows a few leads then somebody calls Galant a cab and he's gone after @20 games. Rowe takes over, team plays .500 hockey. Some nights team can't score some nights can't stop people from scoring. Whole boatload of injuries Huberdeau and Barkov were the big ones doesn't help anything. Everybody gets healthy team sweeps tough 5 game western road trip which causes Rowe to guarantee playoffs. Team completely ***** itself and loses 17 of their last 24 games. Fan flies banner over the BB&T center saying Rowe Must Go Call Him a Cab and shortly after Rowe talks like a dead man walking. Team wins last two games of the year to **** up draft position. Today Rowe is fired as coach and GM but is kept as a caddie for Tallon when he's on the course wheeling and dealing.

Left out one owner getting in twitter war with media guys, making hockey expert t-shirts to sell at team store, talking on the radio about creating a new paradigm on how to build a hockey team, etc etc. Been a real fun year to be a Panther fan.

The above is my interpretation of the last year I'm sure I'm missing some stuff and seeing things different from others but whatever its been a classic Panthers cluster****.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My first thought when I got the notification text was maybe Gallant is coming back too? Haha.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His pressers were funny during post games.

He sounded and even looked like a 60 year old salesman, who did a really poor job at selling homes, cars, insurance, or whatever product he was supposed to be selling.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Rowe doesn't deserve the bashing.. he was the puppet to carry out ownerships wishes.. simple as that.. everything points to that... so for them to completely kick him aside would be bush league.. ow ears need to stay the **** away from hockey ops as has been said

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Panthers have best regular season in team history some of it luck (PDO out of this world) then get bounced in the first round of the playoffs by a terrible Islanders team. (Islanders had 3 less points playing in a tougher division but according to some Panther fans didn't belong on the ice with the Panthers in the playoffs) Somebody in management Rowe (zero NHL management experience), Joyce(3 years experience 1 as AHL GM) or both (I'd guess) convinces the owners the Panthers can play just like the Penguins and analytics will be a big part of it. Tallon gets bumped up to a higher management position and Rowe becomes GM. Team replaces everybody, trainers, doctors, guy who ran the practice facility. Team brings in Marchessault, Sceviour, Yandle, Demers, in free agency and trades Gudbranson and Kulikov for McCann and Pysyk. Defense is 2/3 new and not very good at defense team blows a few leads then somebody calls Galant a cab and he's gone after @20 games. Rowe takes over, team plays .500 hockey. Some nights team can't score some nights can't stop people from scoring. Whole boatload of injuries Huberdeau and Barkov were the big ones doesn't help anything. Everybody gets healthy team sweeps tough 5 game western road trip which causes Rowe to guarantee playoffs. Team completely ***** itself and loses 17 of their last 24 games. Fan flies banner over the BB&T center saying Rowe Must Go Call Him a Cab and shortly after Rowe talks like a dead man walking. Team wins last two games of the year to **** up draft position. Today Rowe is fired as coach and GM but is kept as a caddie for Tallon when he's on the course wheeling and dealing.

Left out one owner getting in twitter war with media guys, making hockey expert t-shirts to sell at team store, talking on the radio about creating a new paradigm on how to build a hockey team, etc etc. Been a real fun year to be a Panther fan.

The above is my interpretation of the last year I'm sure I'm missing some stuff and seeing things different from others but whatever its been a classic Panthers cluster****.

Pretty good, but you left out the part where Viola (owner) was nominated to be Secretary of Army, but because Secretary of Defense Mattis didn't think he was qualified and how Viola refused to divest his interests (especially the Panthers organization) he decided after like a month and a half, and a sudden absence of a very pushy ownership, that he didn't wanna do it anymore and the pendulum shifted right back to a meddling ownership.

Too bad they probably can;t go back in time and prevent Gallant from being fired. Rowe really went over his head on that one, he'd still be GM if he sat back and let the team work itself out.

The one good thing he did tho was get rid of Bolland's contract, which Tallon signed. Happy for FLA fans they get their GM back.

The Bolland trade that forfeited Crouse was wildly unnecessary. They had already cleared Savard's cap, and that was enough to give Huberdeau and Trocheck their raises, as well as give Smith and Ekblad contracts that they didn't deserve. The only thing that having Bolland on the books might have interfered with was the Demers contract (which was a mistake in the first place) but even still with Jagr and Jokinen coming off over the course of this summer and next it probably still would have worked..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good move but they better get a goalie because if you expect Reimer to replace Lou you are in trouble

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So hard to build a decent defence , so well known by Oiler fans and Panthers had a very good one. The defence moves were baffling . But Tallon has shown twice now he can build very good teams and they're back in good hands. Florida owners let the pros do their job .

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Not trying to start trouble, but I know Florida was one of the organizations to go 'all in' on fancy stats...

Which other ones did, and how did things work out for them (I know, at least from the outside looking in, it didn't seem to work out so well for the Panthers)?

Also, how much does this Tallon re-hiring suggest they are stepping back (at least a little) away from the fancy stats?

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Looking back a top 10 pick could be all the difference in the world when people want to forget the result of this season.

The rebuild is not over yet.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Good move but they better get a goalie because if you expect Reimer to replace Lou you are in trouble
You give goaltenders too much credit and too much blame. He has only been here for one year. He has very little to do with what is going on here. This thing is about the last 7 years for the entire franchise, not just Reimer. Again, for the second time, in the second thread, this is nothing to do with Reimer. Your fixation has nothing to do with our team.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
We went all in on fancy stats but also went all in on changing things for the sake of change.

People won't do well when surrounded by too much chaos or too much order. They need to be right be right in the middle of it.

Had too much chaos last year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You give goaltenders too much credit and too much blame. He has only been here for one year. He has very little to do with what is going on here. This thing is about the last 7 years for the entire franchise, not just Reimer. Again, for the second time, in the second thread, this is nothing to do with Reimer. Your fixation has nothing to do with our team.

he might have only been there a year, but I watched him play every night for nearly 6 I know he can't carry the load and I know this because he can't stay healthy

he never played above 37 games for his because every time he gets bumped he gets "injured" he's softer than a baby ****

the fact his career high in games is 42 should tell you all yo need to know about his ability to start

if you don't get a real starter after Lou is gone, I don't care what you have up front what you have on D it will not matter you will go NOWHERE if Reimer is your guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad