OT: Dale Hawerchuk Boulevard

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The city is planning to rename Bishop Grandin Boulevard soon. Instead of a career politician, or a city counselor, why not name it after the late Hall of Fame member, and long time Jet Dale Hawerchuk?

Ducky loved this city, and exemplified what it meant to be a class act, and asset to Manitoba hockey history. In Edmonton, they have Gretzky Drive and Messier Drive. Let's do this.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
The city is planning to rename Bishop Grandin Boulevard soon. Instead of a career politician, or a city counselor, why not name it after the late Hall of Fame member, and long time Jet Dale Hawerchuk?

Ducky loved this city, and exemplified what it meant to be a class act, and asset to Manitoba hockey history. In Edmonton, they have Gretzky Drive and Messier Drive. Let's do this.
C044DFD4-BE23-4470-8F3B-028E8F13A8D2.gif

noize

Mar 22, 2012

Great idea in concept, but didn't they just rename the section of Graham Avenue between Donald Street and Carlton Street as "Dale Hawerchuk Way"?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd be all-in for it, but doubt it'll happen. I mean, naming Sterling Lyon wasn't a good idea. I think Bishop Grandin should be given a name like Kenora Boulevard or something that isn't political or controversial. If you ask me they should've called it Wilkes Parkway.

One of the developments in Winnipeg should do something like they did in Vegas where they named all the streets after players or legends. The main road should be Dale Hawerchuk Boulevard. Thomas Steen Drive. Teemu Selanne Drive.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Great idea in concept, but didn't they just rename the section of Graham Avenue between Donald Street and Carlton Street as "Dale Hawerchuk Way"?

That's just an honorary name that gets stuck on top of the street sign. It doesn't change the actual name of the street. It seems adequate to me and more appropriately located than a street in a suburban area that has no special association with Dale Hawerchuk.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
I would be good with Louis Riel, Dale H or my 1st choice Kenny Ploen. Kenny brought us championships and has remained a valued member of our community to this day. That's over 60 years from when he came up here to join our Bombers.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A hero in Manitoba would be Duff Roblin, who was the guy that proposed building the floodway, that faced much opposition, but he got the legislation thru, and the floodway was built, This saved the City and Province hundreds of millions of dollars. He was a man that had true vision.

There is a Roblin Blvd right now, and maybe that was named after Duff ?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
A hero in Manitoba would be Duff Roblin, who was the guy that proposed building the floodway, that faced much opposition, but he got the legislation thru, and the floodway was built, This saved the City and Province hundreds of millions of dollars. He was a man that had true vision.

There is a Roblin Blvd right now, and maybe that was named after Duff ?

Roblin Blvd was not named after Duff Roblin...but there should be something named after Duff, besides a crummy park.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Roblin Blvd was not named after Duff Roblin...but there should be something named after Duff, besides a crummy park.

Yes your right, because if anybody was a hero to this City, or Province it would definitely be Duff Roblin who has been forgotten. Maybe a large statue of him at the Floodway somewhere.

He saved huge huge damages we would have incurred, and hurt and devastated many people and young families. This guy needs to be remembered.

Also the Guess Who , brought world wide recognition to this City, so mabe Burton Cummings Blvd, or Randy Bachman Blvd ?? Something to consider.

I know this is a Hockey Forum, so some may not be in favour of these suggestions.

Just my opinion, but Duff was far more important, than a guy who could score goals, or throw a football well. Think about it. I could live with a major drive named after an athlete though.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Sure there's something named... nicknamed after Duff...

Duff's Ditch...

Yes your right -- I forgot about that, but we need to do better than Duff's Ditch, which is sort of like mocking it. That ditch was very important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad