NESN Dale Arnold announces retirement

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't say I have any particular feelings for Dale either way (he doesn't pop out like Jack, Brick, Sophia, etc. on the NESN broadcast), but the dude has just been there in the background or on the screen just about as long as I've been watching hockey.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dale first game to Boston in 1988 when he replaced Curt Gowdy on Pats radio

BOSTON -- Veteran sportscaster Curt Gowdy was signed to a one-year contract Thursday to call the radio play-by-play for 1987 New England Patriots games as the team moves to a new radio station.

'Radio to me is the purest form of sports broadcasting there is,' Gowdy said at a news conference announcing his new pact with WHDH-AM. 'You're the only link between the game and the public. I love to do radio play-by-play. It's always been the joy of my life.'

Gowdy, 68, will replace John Carlson, who served for six years as the Patriots' play-by-play announcer. Former Patriots center Jon Morris will remain as the color commentator.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I have respect for Dale for being above the cesspool that was/is weei and he seems like a decent guy, he also did everything he could to get adopted by the Jacob's family and never said a bad word about ownership or management.

I do give him credit for putting up with Andleman for as long as he had to.

Reactions: ON3M4N

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
he still reads. But I doubt he will post anymore after the neanderthals here ran him off.
I seem to remember his last post right around when Jack took over calling games. If I remember right there was some drama. Dale posted his point of view saying calling bruins games was a dream of his and he wanted to still call home games but NESN wouldn’t bite. Unfortunately as you mention responses didn’t treat him too kindly. Great guy though and if he is reading would love for him to pop in from time to time!

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
I have respect for Dale for being above the cesspool that was/is weei and he seems like a decent guy, he also did everything he could to get adopted by the Jacob's family and never said a bad word about ownership or management.

I do give him credit for putting up with Andleman for as long as he had to.
This is so true, Eddie Andelman was insufferable. Wasn’t a huge fan of his play by play, but from all accounts seems like a really good guy. Had quite a career on radio/tv in Boston.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I seem to remember his last post right around when Jack took over calling games. If I remember right there was some drama. Dale posted his point of view saying calling bruins games was a dream of his and he wanted to still call home games but NESN wouldn’t bite. Unfortunately as you mention responses didn’t treat him too kindly. Great guy though and if he is reading would love for him to pop in from time to time!

If you look at the date I officially joined HF with the Fenway account it was in response to what Dale had posted ( I was around earlier but seldom posted )

NESN and the Bruins made it clear to Dale they were going to one announcing team BUT he was the choice. Jack had been offered a full-time NHL TV job with another team. (Chicago)

Dale was making BIG money at WEEI and frankly, he didn't want to travel. Dale came to regret being loyal to WEEI and he had a rough go of it for a few years.

Reactions: Gee Wally

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Happy for Dale, he's a class act. He was one of (maybe the only) bright spots of WEEI. I remember having him always on the radio when my dad and I were worked together. Every now and then one of the "on this day" Bruins replays will be when Dale was the PBP guy and I love listening.

Best of luck in your next chapter Dale!

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Always liked Dale and preferred him to many other personalities that NESN has like Jack Edwards or Tom Caron. He never felt fake. Whether he was on the radio, calling the games, or doing the studio show with ex Bruins, Dale Arnold was an absolute professional and did well. A class act with a decent voice, professional attitude, and a love for the game of hockey. Shame he has to retire now, but se la vie.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Will certainly be strange not seeing him pre/mid/post game. Has been a staple for more or less the entire time I’ve followed the Bruins. Congrats on a very well deserved retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad