Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Stars sign Jiri Hudler (1 yr, $2M)

DALLAS90

Aug 22, 2016
Benn - Seguin - Sharp
Janmark - Spezza - Hudler
Nichushkin - Eakin - Ritchie
Roussel - Faksa - Hemsky

Hamhuis - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
Lindell - Nemeth/Benn

1. Lehtonen 2. Niemi

3rd & 4th line have mix of grit & can score

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dallas is gonna live and die with that offense. They still need to add some help on the backend. Trading Nuke might be the way to go.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Would Brendan Smith get Val?

Or Sproul? XO? Plus pick.

I have no idea of his potential as I don't watch Dallas too much! I just know they need some serviceable d-men and Sproul has high potential as an offensive d-man, and XO can play steady D. Smith has plenty of experience and is a pretty good skater if you let him do his thing.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

I have no idea of his potential as I don't watch Dallas too much! I just know they need some serviceable d-men and Sproul has high potential as an offensive d-man, and XO can play steady D. Smith has plenty of experience and is a pretty good skater if you let him do his thing.

I would definitely do Val + Penny Oleksiak's brother for Smith + something of decent significance.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Dallas is gonna live and die with that offense. They still need to add some help on the backend. Trading Nuke might be the way to go.

Good signing for Dallas, but does it really help them? They need a better goalie and at least one more top 4D. With that D core and goalie, they aren't a threat in the west.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Good signing for Dallas, but does it really help them? They need a better goalie and at least one more top 4D. With that D core and goalie, they aren't a threat in the west.

Virtually no one thought they were a threat in the west before last season either, and said the exact same things.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

Dallas' defense is fine the way it is. There's no need for the Stars to make a move on defense when Dallas can fix its defensive problems from within, if a problem with the defense occurs.

Dallas' defense
LD Hamhuis RD Klingberg
LD Oduya RD Johns
LD Benn or Lindell RD Nemeth or Honka
LD Oleksiak

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'm thinking how Stars played last year and how Hudler played last year.
Hudler is slow, declining and liability 90% of the time, he can pass but pretty useless outside of that.

I think last year was a rollercoaster/down year for him physically due to injuries, but also mentally due to all-time high expectations after his great 14-15 season and going to a new team shortly before the playoffs that wasn't the best fit. He can bounce back for at least one season IMO.

Hudler enjoys playing with skilled players, to be effective he has to have guys around him who match his skill. Otherwise he'll just be a black hole out there in 5v5.

He's one of those x-factors who can always get hot playing behind Benn & Seguin. Not to mention how good of a PP the Stars have. Hudler brings in depth to that aspect as well.

When this Stars team gets on a roll they can be almost unstoppable. We saw how good they were offensively last year. Add in Hudler to the mix and it'll only get better. He should enjoy it there, i feel like he's going to have a lot of fun playing that offensive style.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Virtually no one thought they were a threat in the west before last season either, and said the exact same things.

They weren't a real threat last year. They beat an 86 point Mini team in the playoffs, were 20th in GAA, are minus Gogo/Demers, and have the same goalies. They are not a threat with that D and goal tending but they will rack up points in the regular season and be fun to watch.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If you mean by shaping up, you mean improving I disagree.

Losing your 2 & 3 blueliners while adding a guy who's a #4 on a good team isn't moving in the right direction.

IMO any goalie can look bad with a porous defense in front of him. Lehtonen and Niemi aren't getting much help in their own end.

I guess the plan is to have a bunch of rookie blueliners play key minutes. They've got potential with their young blueliners, I just don't know if I'm trusting them with key minutes in the NHL yet.

Won't help if they get 310 goals against.

The #2 & #3 blueliners on Dallas last season is not saying a whole lot. So we lost Demers, Goligoski and Russell but we gained Hamhuis who we need to be a defensive defenseman than skating the puck coast to coast, we already have Klingberg. Our Defense already looks better than it did last season. Plus with Lindell having an almost 99% (baring injury or under performing in camp) to make the roster and Honka knocking on the door (assuming he won't be moved).

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
The #2 & #3 blueliners on Dallas last season is not saying a whole lot. So we lost Demers, Goligoski and Russell but we gained Hamhuis who we need to be a defensive defenseman than skating the puck coast to coast, we already have Klingberg. Our Defense already looks better than it did last season. Plus with Lindell having an almost 99% (baring injury or under performing in camp) to make the roster and Honka knocking on the door (assuming he won't be moved).

Goligoski and Demers are big losses. I still think the Stars will be fine if they got league average goaltending, anyway.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

Hell yes to Smith.

Every player Nill has traded for from Detroit has been nothing short of a revelation (I include the Roope Hintz pick). Janmark was incredible, and I've watched enough Texas games to know that Backman can play in the NHL. Kid's so underrated, and is my dark horse pick to impress in camp and get some call ups.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
unless Nuke is bolting for KHL, who is sitting around saying "hmm, we need more offense?"

Nill is placing a lot of hopes on a patchwork D and a lot of rookies and hoping a lot of scoring can win them a cup when it couldnt win them two rounds

Granted Seguin was out, lack of scoring was not their downfall. Keeping the puck out of their net was. They BARELY got by Minnesota who is by no means an offensive force in the west

As you get further down the playoffs, the good teams and coaches figure out a way to neutralize the offenses. The teams that fail to do the same are the ones that get knocked out

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Lindy is not a run-n-gun coach. Never will be. I expect moves to bolster D, or the "system" will/may be flawed.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
unless Nuke is bolting for KHL, who is sitting around saying "hmm, we need more offense?"

Nill is placing a lot of hopes on a patchwork D and a lot of rookies and hoping a lot of scoring can win them a cup when it couldnt win them two rounds

Granted Seguin was out, lack of scoring was not their downfall. Keeping the puck out of their net was. They BARELY got by Minnesota who is by no means an offensive force in the west

As you get further down the playoffs, the good teams and coaches figure out a way to neutralize the offenses. The teams that fail to do the same are the ones that get knocked out

"Barely"?

Ok then. :laugh:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Hate to break it to you, but 4 of the top 5 goal average leaders in the playoffs made the conference finals. Good teams and coaches didn't prevent the top playoff scoring team from playing the 2nd highest scorer in the final.

Lindy is not a run-n-gun coach. Never will be. I expect moves to bolster D, or the "system" will/may be flawed.

We scored 257 goals in 14-15 and 265 in 15-16, finishing 2nd and 1st in the NHL respectively. How much running and gunning does it take to convince you?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Dallas is going to be a dangerous team. Maybe add a defensemen, but even then they're pretty solid. Hamhuis and Hudler are underrated signings and they should do very well for them.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
Sharp-Spezza-Hudler
Janmark-Eakin-Hemsky
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie
Dickinson

That forward squad is pure filth. Wow.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
They weren't a real threat last year. They beat an 86 point Mini team in the playoffs, were 20th in GAA, are minus Gogo/Demers, and have the same goalies. They are not a threat with that D and goal tending but they will rack up points in the regular season and be fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

Same was said of the Pens last year

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They weren't a real threat last year. They beat an 86 point Mini team in the playoffs, were 20th in GAA, are minus Gogo/Demers, and have the same goalies. They are not a threat with that D and goal tending but they will rack up points in the regular season and be fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

Same was said of the Pens last year

Pens had 6th best GAA last year not 20th, big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad