Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Jamie Benn (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I don't really get the Lucic comparisons. Lucic is the definition of power forward in today's game and his body will fail him sooner than later because of it.
Why? Because he's a lot bigger and has no injury history? Well, if you repeat the same inaccuracies long enough, I guess everything becomes gospel.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm just going to guess we are actually talking about Lucic here now really..

no not at all. Benn is a player you keep, and if he's UFA you get him no matter what it does to your cap. You can work on making it fit after. With Lucic it's stupid not to carefully consider the cap first. He's not a core guy, but he can help your core guys to achieve more.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Why? Because he's a lot bigger and has no injury history? Well, if you repeat the same inaccuracies long enough, I guess everything becomes gospel.

There is a long history of players who were of the same ilk and all slowed down significantly, and generally earlier than players who didn't play such a rough style.

This thread isn't about Lucic, I was merely noting that Benn and Lucic play very different games, and I expect Lucic to hit that "wall" sooner than Benn due to Benn being a more well rounded player.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Better player than Toews, Kane and Kopitar right now but makes less than all of them but doesn't have the "winner" tattoo to earn him an extra million. ;)

Mad Brills*

Who's the next player that gets a 9+ million dollar contract.

Mcdavid?

Price?

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Yes the last few years are going to be ugly (probably) but you can say that about 90% of the UFA contracts out there. He is still pretty young, and one of the best in the game, seems well worth the contract.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Who's the next player that gets a 9+ million dollar contract.

Mcdavid?

Price?

McDavid i don't think will get as much in his first RFA contract .

Giving a goalie that much seems like a dumb idea even if he's the best goalie. Lundquist didn't get that much as well.

Tavares is more likely.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I think it's too high BUT if I'm Nill I sign the same deal. You don't let Benn walk even if you have to pay a bit more. In that case it's a good deal.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill has a good, although not perfect record of judging the market with UFA signings/extensions.....Seems like he is willing to pay for high end forwards, probably for too long. Not quite as much for defense. Wonder where that comes from?

Too High

Gonchar
Hemsky.

Market Rate (term too long?)

Spezza
Jamie Benn
Bargins

Klingberg
Hamuis
Dillon
Jordie Benn
Oleksiak
Eaves
Fiddler

Olympus Mons

Dec 6, 2012
Orange County, CA
If you look at similar players contracts this is right there for a player of his caliber. Dallas must not have been concerned about his recent surgery. They needed to lock him up long term and that's what they did.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
He could've gotten a lot more.

He's probably a top 3 player in the world right now.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
9.5 cap hit at ages 34-36? Not so sure about that...

Corey Perry (Who I'm a huge fan of) will have an 8.625 Mil cap hit at the ages 34-36. I would say Benn is a much better all around player than Perry. So this all seems pretty decent market value.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I don't really get the Lucic comparisons. Lucic is the definition of power forward in today's game and his body will fail him sooner than later because of it. Benn is a PF but he's so much more than that that it isn't really fair to smack that label on him. It would be like calling Ovechkin a sniper even though he is a bull on skates. Some guys defy simple labels and Benn is one of them.

I'm not worried about Benn being an "aging power forward" halfway through his contract. The only thing that would worry me is if he were to get concussion problems. He is way more skilled than it seems a lot of people still seem to think.

I think a better label is PF+. You're not just getting a typical star power forward, you're getting an elite player that happens to fit the mold of a power forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Benn is a good example of why you don't sign very promising young players to 5 year deals when they are 22 or 23. They would have been much better to lock him up for 7-8 years at a higher cap hit. Having him at say $6M or $6.2M until he is 30 or 31 would have been ideal. You can still re-sign him then if he's still playing at a high end, but you would get him for a shorter term and much lower AAV when he's in his 30's.

I think that's why we'll continue to see more teams trying to lock up their good young players coming out of their ELC, rather than bridging them, or worse, signing them for 5 years. I think that even 6 years is too short for players that are top end and 21-22 years old. Better to try to lock them in for 7-8 years, if possible.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Benn is a good example of why you don't sign very promising young players to 5 year deals when they are 22 or 23. They would have been much better to lock him up for 7-8 years at a higher cap hit. Having him at say $6M or $6.2M until he is 30 or 31 would have been ideal. You can still re-sign him then if he's still playing at a high end, but you would get him for a shorter term and much lower AAV when he's in his 30's.

I think that's why we'll continue to see more teams trying to lock up their good young players coming out of their ELC, rather than bridging them, or worse, signing them for 5 years. I think that even 6 years is too short for players that are top end and 21-22 years old. Better to try to lock them in for 7-8 years, if possible.

There's no guarantee he would've taken a longer deal at that time. He already sat out a couple of games that year because of contract negotiations.
Sure it would've been great to lock Benn up for as long as possible before he became one of the best players in the league and subsequently would've been cheaper that doesn't mean it was possible . The team still had Nieuwy as GM in 2012 and was still in the process of finding a new owner and still had many questionmarks around it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad