Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] F Chase Wheatcroft signs ELC with the Stars (3 years, $862.5k AAV; begins 2023-24)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Chase Wheatcroft is an excellent name for an east Texas hockey player. I just hope he chews on a bundle of wheat head instead of his mouthguard.

I was gonna say...it feels like a disservice somehow, that he's not actually from like Saskachewan/Manitoba/the real rural bits of Berta. That's like the ultimate rural prairie kid name.

Overager having carrer year in WHL?
Worth a shot.

Always kinda skeptical about players with this sort of "profile". But hey, if ya'll got a spare contract slot burning a hole in your pocket, why not right? He's clearly got something that's "clicked" for him. Obviously a lot more likely to become an AHL scorer (if anything), but these sort of deals are about as "low risk" darts as you can find. Nothing ventured. Anything you get out of it is pure gravy. Most draft picks will never have the sort of year he has in Juniors.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Always kinda skeptical about players with this sort of "profile". But hey, if ya'll got a spare contract slot burning a hole in your pocket, why not right? He's clearly got something that's "clicked" for him. Obviously a lot more likely to become an AHL scorer (if anything), but these sort of deals are about as "low risk" darts as you can find. Nothing ventured. Anything you get out of it is pure gravy. Most draft picks will never have the sort of year he has in Juniors.
That's how I feel, teams need to fill out AHL and ECHL depth so no harm in a low risk dart like you say.
I'm always cautious about players who suddenly click as an overager, but if you get depth AHL production out of the guy, there's no disappointment.

Reactions: biturbo19

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was gonna say...it feels like a disservice somehow, that he's not actually from like Saskachewan/Manitoba/the real rural bits of Berta. That's like the ultimate rural prairie kid name.

I saw that post and my first thought was, ohhh, he's from East Texas? That makes sense, wasn't sure why else Dallas had eyes on this undrafted WHL overager.

Couldn't tell if maybe he was teammates with a Stars prospect, or maybe he'd played against Logan Stankoven enough times for the Stars scouts to take notice.

Turns out he's just from Calgary anyway. :laugh:

Hope he gets a good look in camp next fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad