Confirmed Signing with Link: DAL expected to sign Tye Felhaber

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Running through the CBA details, think this is all correct. It's possible I'm overlooking something.

- Tye was considered age 20 as of the most recent draft and went undrafted. Per CBA 8.9(b)(i) that means to be eligible to play in the NHL this season he would have needed to sign before the start of the regular season.

- Since he didn't sign before the start of the regular season he's not eligible to sign a contract for the 2018-19 season. He would need to sign a contract for 2019-2020. The window to sign Draft Related UFA's to contracts for the next season runs March 1st through June 1st, CBA 50.8(d).

- So he's probably agreed to terms with Dallas but can't actually sign until March 1st.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Literally no downside

If he doesn't work out it costs you nothing

but 50 goals in 50 games... even as an over-ager in the OHL, that is enticing.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
That's a lot of goals. Just gotta wait and see how it translates to the pros. 50/50

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I guess I’m skeptical. Yes it’s a lot of goals but it’s his 5th year and he’s playing on the best team in the league. Wouldn’t be the first overager who puts up a ton of points and then fades away.
Yeah this is one of the signing Im not expecting anything from but there is a slim chance he becomes an NHLer. Ill take that slim chance for free any day of the week

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm pretty pumped about it. Lot of potential here, and even if he doesn't live up to it then oh well not a big deal

His stats this season:

53 goals and 91 points in 51 games to lead the OHL.

19 more points than any other player on his team.

29 goals more than any other player on his team.

Leads the league in points by 6 and goals by 9.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I tried to google up a list of the best CHL over-age seasons, to see what kind of NHL success rate there is, but no luck... anyone know how to find this?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I guess I’m skeptical. Yes it’s a lot of goals but it’s his 5th year and he’s playing on the best team in the league. Wouldn’t be the first overager who puts up a ton of points and then fades away.

Yep.

Can anyone name somebody who did pan out as an overager at juniors and became a decent NHLr ?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean it's found money if Felhaber can be an NHL player or even just an AHL player. If he's not oh well . Not much lost.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yep.

Can anyone name somebody who did pan out as an overager at juniors and became a decent NHLr ?

I googled and found a list.

Corey Perry
Mark Gio
Dan Girardi
Ryan Wilson
Alex Burrows
Troy Brouwer
MIKE HOFFMAN
Tyler Johnson
Jake Muzzin

Don't know how accurate it is.

Reactions: Henkka

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm pretty pumped about it. Lot of potential here, and even if he doesn't live up to it then oh well not a big deal

His stats this season:

53 goals and 91 points in 51 games to lead the OHL.

19 more points than any other player on his team.

29 goals more than any other player on his team.

Leads the league in points by 6 and goals by 9.
Don't get too excited. Look up "Dane Fox".

These guys show promise but often can't cut it in the NHL, or even the AHL for that matter. Hope he does well for you guys, though.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Don't get too excited. Look up "Dane Fox".

These guys show promise but often can't cut it in the NHL, or even the AHL for that matter. Hope he does well for you guys, though.

Read what I said right after I said I'm pretty pumped for this :laugh:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Corey Perry
Mark Gio
Dan Girardi
Ryan Wilson
Alex Burrows
Troy Brouwer
MIKE HOFFMAN
Tyler Johnson
Jake Muzzin

Connor Brown too although he came into the leafs looking really promising and now looks like a dumpster fire

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Corey Perry
Mark Gio
Dan Girardi
Ryan Wilson
Alex Burrows
Troy Brouwer
MIKE HOFFMAN
Tyler Johnson
Jake Muzzin

Corey Perry was a first round pick.

I think a lot of these guys were simply undrafted (a good place to start looking, though).

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
That's a lot of goals. Just gotta wait and see how it translates to the pros. 50/50

This.

Even the development aspect -along with the drafting - for the Stars is bad. If he has a rough start to the AHL, whomever is coaching is likely to play some AHL vet over a young talent in order to win games.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
He was a first rounder in the O, who had good numbers all the way through. Some who have watched him closely say he’s a much stronger all-around player now and a bit of a late bloomer. I’d say it’s a good risk to take.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
dane fox. there is a reason these overagers were never drafted. then dominate against 16 17 yearolds

It can depend on how a player dominates in the OHL. Dane Fox got to play on a line with Brown and McDavid and his skillset poorly translated to the next level.

I'm not saying Felhaber is going to automatically be an NHL player, but Dane Fox was never the best player on his team like Felhaber is.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Traverse City Prospect tournament is looking interesting now, with Felhaber, Robertson, Mascherin.. that is a lot of 40+ OHL goal scorers on one team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Traverse City Prospect tournament is looking interesting now, with Felhaber, Robertson, Mascherin.. that is a lot of 40+ OHL goal scorers on one team.

Most of them would be lucky to be a 20 goal scorer in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad