Value of: Dal Colle to Ottawa

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Not sure if the Isles would move him but an interesting name on Ottawa’s end. Played well under D.J Smith in Oshawa and has been disappointing as a high draft pick.
Would The Isles consider moving MDC? If so what would the asking price be?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
MDC is a player who "should" be available. He's shown that he can survive in the NHL, but is still defining what kind of NHLer he's going to be. Financially, he costs very little right now.

In light of where these two teams are at, I'm not sure what Ottawa can offer that they wouldn't actually want to keep?

Does Ottawa have too many prospects that are taking too long or is there a contract jam coming and thus, they need to move a few bodies?

Is Ottawa looking to part with salary (other than Bobby Ryan)? If so, might some of that salary come in the form of a left wing with offensive instincts and perhaps the least valuable of the three 2nd rounders OTT has next summer?

Don't know if that kind of thing makes sense for a team that recently went out and picked up Namestnikov.

But theoretically, there's gotta be a market for Dal Colle.

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure if the Isles would move him but an interesting name on Ottawa’s end. Played well under D.J Smith in Oshawa and has been disappointing as a high draft pick.
Would The Isles consider moving MDC? If so what would the asking price be?

GIven Wahlstrom's play in the 3 games he has been up, I could see him sticking when Eberle comes back from injury which means somebody has to be sent down. In that case Dal Colle for a 2nd rounder may work(and given you have 3 of them it doesn't have to be your own)

Reactions: IODCPiper

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
MDC is a player who "should" be available. He's shown that he can survive in the NHL, but is still defining what kind of NHLer he's going to be. Financially, he costs very little right now.

In light of where these two teams are at, I'm not sure what Ottawa can offer that they wouldn't actually want to keep?

Does Ottawa have too many prospects that are taking too long or is there a contract jam coming and thus, they need to move a few bodies?

Is Ottawa looking to part with salary (other than Bobby Ryan)? If so, might some of that salary come in the form of a left wing with offensive instincts and perhaps the least valuable of the three 2nd rounders OTT has next summer?

Don't know if that kind of thing makes sense for a team that recently went out and picked up Namestnikov.

But theoretically, there's gotta be a market for Dal Colle.
Ottawa is in need of a NHL forward frankly and is probably looking for a reclamation project. We do have a logjam of sorts on Average Forward prospects and it wouldn’t surprise me if Ottawa was willing to give up one of them in a prospect swap; Chlapik, Veronneau, Gruden are the likely prospects to go.
Ottawa is in need of contracts off the books so any trade would have to involve a contact going the other way, salary is a non issue.
I doubt Ottawa would surrender any 2nd or their 3rd round picks in any deal however so a prospect swap is more likely.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Ottawa is in need of a NHL forward frankly and is probably looking for a reclamation project. We do have a logjam of sorts on Average Forward prospects and it wouldn’t surprise me if Ottawa was willing to give up one of them in a prospect swap; Chlapik, Veronneau, Gruden are the likely prospects to go.
Ottawa is in need of contracts off the books so any trade would have to involve a contact going the other way, salary is a non issue.
I doubt Ottawa would surrender any 2nd or their 3rd round picks in any deal however so a prospect swap is more likely.

I tend to think Ottawa will be willing to move the odd pick here or there, because they have 11 this summer and 8 the next. They also have at least three upcoming UFAs who'll be attractive at the trade deadline in Bodker, Pageau, and Namestinikov - meaning more pics are likely on the way. Now, the problem with having that abundance of pics is that you pick lots and lots of bodies in a short period of time. That's not a bad thing in and of itself, as a couple are bound to be very valuable, but at some point you have to make lots of choices, some undesirable, just because of the prescribed contract limit. And lots of these guys will be up for contracts/ELCs at the same time. Some GMs aren't really good at dealing with such situations in a favorable manner. And then some of these bodies go lost for absolutely nothing. It's basically a pre-programmed side effect.

But, that said...

If I were the Isles' GM and Dorian came along asking about Dal Colle, tells me of his desire to move contracts, and said he's basically only offering up prospects outside of his top 8, I'd tell him that Dal Colle will cost him Paul, Chlapik, and Davidsson.

You add that "reclamation project" you've mentioned without losing any of the top prospects, futures who are not yet under contract, or draft picks. You also move three smaller contracts for one.

But I can't possibly say what Lamoriello would be looking for. Heck, the only trade he's made as the Isles' GM was sending a minor league goalie to Toronto for Matt Martin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad