Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Braden Holtby signs with the Stars (1 year, $2M)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If Oettinger gets demoted for Holtby I’m going to be so mad. He was great last season and does not need any more time in the AHL.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I know Dallas fans are probably (definitely) thinking Holtby isn't that good if they just look at the numbers.... but, here's the situation: Holtby didn't know the Vancouver system or team and there hadn't really been a pre season training camp or pre-season games. When the team finally started to show halfway decent defense--cuz, it was really, really, REALLY not great at all to start with, (mind you, both Demko and Holts had near identical numbers in the beginning of the season even though Demko knew the system, style of play, and team better), Demko naturally was quicker to show better numbers as he knew the team/system already. Once that happened, the coach just rode Demko nonstop and Holtby would literally go 2 to 3 weeks between games. He went over a month one time without playing.

GM Jim Benning literally brought Holtby over on the off chance that Demko wouldn't do what he did in the playoffs. But once Demko played some good games, Holts was literally benched. The Canucks had zero use for him, and all Holts was good for was protection for Demko against the draft. The 2 seasons before when Holtby played for the Caps--the defense was craptastic there as well. So he went from the garbage fire that was the defense in D.C. with some of the most high danger shots in the league night after night to the raging flaming garbage fire that is the defense in Vancouver and more of the most high danger shots in the league.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to come to Dallas and be a top-notch, Vezina goalie from the start, but he's a much better goaltender than his numbers indicate.

Reactions: Timani

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Makes me sad for Bishop cause I was looking forward to him coming back. Been a big fan of his since the Bolts days.

Of all the goalies available not sure why they went Holtby route though. He's trash.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I know Dallas fans are probably (definitely) thinking Holtby isn't that good if they just look at the numbers.... but, here's the situation: Holtby didn't know the Vancouver system or team and there hadn't really been a pre season training camp or pre-season games. When the team finally started to show halfway decent defense--cuz, it was really, really, REALLY not great at all to start with, (mind you, both Demko and Holts had near identical numbers in the beginning of the season even though Demko knew the system, style of play, and team better), Demko naturally was quicker to show better numbers as he knew the team/system already. Once that happened, the coach just rode Demko nonstop and Holtby would literally go 2 to 3 weeks between games. He went over a month one time without playing.

GM Jim Benning literally brought Holtby over on the off chance that Demko wouldn't do what he did in the playoffs. But once Demko played some good games, Holts was literally benched. The Canucks had zero use for him, and all Holts was good for was protection for Demko against the draft. The 2 seasons before when Holtby played for the Caps--the defense was craptastic there as well. So he went from the garbage fire that was the defense in D.C. with some of the most high danger shots in the league night after night to the raging flaming garbage fire that is the defense in Vancouver and more of the most high danger shots in the league.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to come to Dallas and be a top-notch, Vezina goalie from the start, but he's a much better goaltender than his numbers indicate.

I've nothing against Holtby's numbers, he's been around a while and can still bring it from time to time.

No doubt.

But the thing is, Dallas already has a logjam in net, with no room for Holtby unless they:

a) keep Bishop on LTIR
b) trade Khudobin
c) demote Oettinger
d) any combination of the first three

And, as mentioned, C is the worst case scenario.

Right now I'm hoping their plan is to either keep Bishop on LTIR or move his contract elsewhere, trade Dobby for whatever you can get for him, and then roll with Oettinger and Holtby as a 1a/1b type of thing or however it shakes out.

Really curious to see what Jim Nill's next step is here, because right now it doesn't really add up.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I've nothing against Holtby's numbers, he's been around a while and can still bring it from time to time.

No doubt.

But the thing is, Dallas already has a logjam in net, with no room for Holtby unless they:

a) keep Bishop on LTIR
b) trade Khudobin
c) demote Oettinger
d) any combination of the first three

And, as mentioned, C is the worst case scenario.

Right now I'm hoping their plan is to either keep Bishop on LTIR or move his contract elsewhere, trade Dobby for whatever you can get for him, and then roll with Oettinger and Holtby as a 1a/1b type of thing or however it shakes out.

Really curious to see what Jim Nill's next step is here, because right now it doesn't really add up.
There's no way they demote Oettinger after last season, right? Surely, there's no way. Right? Right???

LASTAR

Mar 9, 2004
There's no way they demote Oettinger after last season, right? Surely, there's no way. Right? Right???
He is going down = but only for a year. He looks good now, but Jim Neal (and old thyme hockey folks) like their players to be well seasoned before they depend on them full time.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Holtby is a year removed from a big money free agent contract and last year he played for a team that had considerable defensive issues in front of him and some major COVID-19 headaches. If he can come close to regaining the form that got him that contract, he can be a good netminder on a really reasonable deal.

Those who watched Dallas last year would tell you that Khudobin wasn't very good much of the year and though I think Oettinger proved he could start, he still has some room to improve and develop. If they can flip Khudobin and find some cap savings, it's a good risk for the potential reward. I'd have to agree Bishop is likely done.

Thing is, he really didn’t deserve the money side of that contract based on his play the previous few years. The dollar amount was Benning being Benning and throwing cash around on free agency day like a drunken sailor.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Holtby is a year removed from a big money free agent contract and last year he played for a team that had considerable defensive issues in front of him and some major COVID-19 headaches. If he can come close to regaining the form that got him that contract, he can be a good netminder on a really reasonable deal.

Those who watched Dallas last year would tell you that Khudobin wasn't very good much of the year and though I think Oettinger proved he could start, he still has some room to improve and develop. If they can flip Khudobin and find some cap savings, it's a good risk for the potential reward. I'd have to agree Bishop is likely done.
He's a year removed from another season where he had a sub .900 sv% that signing by Vancouver after that season he had never made sense. He's been in clear decline for 4 years now. If his name wasn't holtby, no one would even give him an nhl look after the #s he's posted the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad