Confirmed Trade: [DAL/ARI] Scott Wedgewood for 2023 conditional 4th round pick

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
That I agree with. He's a good backup, but I just don't know if he can be a good starter.
NJ has to get through twenty games without destroying their rookie AHL prospects Daws and Schmid. They also need to see progress the rest of the season that they can't achieve with Gillies in net. They need an NHL-contracted G on the roster just to be able to paper down Daws for Utica's playoff run.

Wedgewood was originally supposed to mentor Daws and Schmid in Utica and be an injury call up/taxi squad G.

I think Wedgewood would have cleared waivers on 10/11 if he were waived on 10/10 with all the other G while opening day rosters were being finalized instead of 11/03.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
NJ has to get through twenty games without destroying their rookie AHL prospects Daws and Schmid. They also need to see progress the rest of the season that they can't achieve with Gillies in net. They need an NHL-contracted G on the roster just to be able to paper down Daws for Utica's playoff run.

Wedgewood was originally supposed to mentor Daws and Schmid in Utica and be an injury call up/taxi squad G.

I think Wedgewood would have cleared waivers on 10/11 if he were waived on 10/10 with all the other G while opening day rosters were being finalized instead of 11/03.
Man, I haven't watched hockey in two years and just came back. I thought Cory Schneider could be of help. Why bring in Wedgewood?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Wedgewood is a good goalie, this is a fair deal.

Surprised he went to Dallas instead of a team like Vegas who could use a rental goalie like him and probably should've offered slightly more. Dallas fans you'll be happy with him as a solid backup to Oettinger

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Trade worth it already :thumbu:

Hell of a debut.

Jim Nill had a pretty amusing quote in an Athletic piece, something like "If you'd have told me six months ago that I would need to trade for a goalie, I would've thought you were nuts". :laugh:

But one by one, Bishop, Khudobin, Holtby, they've all fallen, and it looks like Nill made a pretty wise play bringing Wedgewood into the mix. Otter had played something like 16 of the last 19 Stars games and if Dallas had any hopes of finishing strong he would need some rest.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
This dude is a point generation machine. He's got five total starts against Carolina, San Jose, Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Minnesota - in other words, he's been thrown to the wolves four times so that Oettinger doesn't get too worn out down the stretch. And yet, he's 3-0-2.

This trade is a massive win for Nill. Wedgewood has earned himself a backup contract next season for sure.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Now officially a 2023 3rd round Pick for Arizona. Wedgewood got the team points in 6 of his 7 starts

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Love finding out, eventually, who these kind of under the radar draft picks — or the conditional ones, in this case moving up 32 spots in the draft — end up being down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad