NFL: Dak Prescott

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can someone help me understand the Dak Prescott situation?

Why are people saying the Cowboys "screwed" him?
They franchise tagged him so no long term contract to guard against a serious injury. Fortunately as a QB Dak gets $30 odd mill this year so in 5 seasons will be in the high $30 mill in career earnings. Another position player wouldn’t sniff that unless they got tagged twice at least.

mid he got a long term deal he would have $80-$90 mill guaranteed. Like how Alex Smith who missed all of 2019 got paid despite the horrible injury in 2018. He got a new dea after he got traded to Washington.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They franchise tagged him so no long term contract to guard against a serious injury. Fortunately as a QB Dak gets $30 odd mill this year so in 5 seasons will be in the high $30 mill in career earnings. Another position player wouldn’t sniff that unless they got tagged twice at least.

mid he got a long term deal he would have $80-$90 mill guaranteed. Like how Alex Smith who missed all of 2019 got paid despite the horrible injury in 2018. He got a new dea after he got traded to Washington.
Thank you but...

Forgive me - I don't understand. I am NOT an NFL guy so please tell me what is correct / incorrect...

1) He was given a franchise tag
2) He will be paid $30M this year
3) Without being injured he would be paid $30M every year for the next 5 years

So... how did the Cowboys screw him? Aren't they suppose to franchise tag someone? It wasn't their fault he got injured.

Again, not an NFL guy and I am confused.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thank you but...

Forgive me - I don't understand. I am NOT an NFL guy so please tell me what is correct / incorrect...

1) He was given a franchise tag
2) He will be paid $30M this year
3) Without being injured he would be paid $30M every year for the next 5 years

So... how did the Cowboys screw him? Aren't they suppose to franchise tag someone? It wasn't their fault he got injured.

Again, not an NFL guy and I am confused.
Sorry I think I must have worded my post poorly. Dak is in year 5. His rookie deal, as a 4th round pick averages less than $1 mill per season so he earned $4 mill max up to the start of this year. His franchise tag is worth $30 odd mill. So total at the end of this year he will have made between $35-$38 mill. I’m comparing his franchise tag to other position players who would get much less. TE Hunter Henry for the Chargers is ragged as well and he gets $10 mill this year. Brandon Scherff, an OG for Washington gets $15 mill on his tag.

so while it does suck to be tagged as a QB you make way more than other players do on the tag.

Dak is only due $30 odd mill for this year only as the franchise tag is for 1 year. Dallas can tagged him again next season for like $38 mill before a third tag would be close to $50 mill based on current salary cap numbers.

typcially a long term contract of 5 years and $150 mill for a QB provides the QB with around 3 years of average salary in guaranteed money. So if Dak got a 5 year deal he would have been looking at $90 mill in guaranteed money.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So if Dak got a 5 year deal he would have been looking at $90 mill in guaranteed money.
As opposed to the $30M he will get this year - which will drop to zero in 2021 if he doesn't recover.

Assuming what I wrote is right, I now understand and thank you.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Sucks for Dak, but it's stupid to blame the team. He doesn't have a long term contract because 1) He isn't that good, and 2) He is greedy and asked for too much money.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Sucks for Dak, but it's stupid to blame the team. He doesn't have a long term contract because 1) He isn't that good, and 2) He is greedy and asked for too much money.
That's not correct at all. You've really got it entirely backwards. Dak wanted a four year deal, and the Cowboys wanted a five year deal. In terms of total contract dollars, you could say Dak was asking for less than the Cowboys were offering.

Dak wanted four years because we've all watched the NFL cap skyrocket up, and it's only going to get higher with legal gambling. The Cowboys wanted five years so they would have cost certainty (and even something of a bargain at the end of the contract). Dak wanted to get back to free agency in four years for another big contract reset.

All of this is a problem because the Cowboys chose not to extend Dak last summer when the per season price would have been $20-25 million instead of the $35-40 million being kicked around this offseason. By holding off to see if Dak could prove himself, the Cowboys essentially set a massive pile of cap money on fire.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
That's not correct at all. You've really got it entirely backwards. Dak wanted a four year deal, and the Cowboys wanted a five year deal. In terms of total contract dollars, you could say Dak was asking for less than the Cowboys were offering.

Dak wanted four years because we've all watched the NFL cap skyrocket up, and it's only going to get higher with legal gambling. The Cowboys wanted five years so they would have cost certainty (and even something of a bargain at the end of the contract). Dak wanted to get back to free agency in four years for another big contract reset.

All of this is a problem because the Cowboys chose not to extend Dak last summer when the per season price would have been $20-25 million instead of the $35-40 million being kicked around this offseason. By holding off to see if Dak could prove himself, the Cowboys essentially set a massive pile of cap money on fire.

If he was a better QB or if he asked for less money he would definitely have a long term contract right now. I wasn't aware that years was actually the sticking point. Regardless, if that same source is to be believed then Dak could already have a contract with 110 million guaranteed. He chose not to sign it. Seems like he's just as much to blame as the team, if not more.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If he was a better QB or if he asked for less money he would definitely have a long term contract right now. I wasn't aware that years was actually the sticking point. Regardless, if that same source is to be believed then Dak could already have a contract with 110 million guaranteed. He chose not to sign it. Seems like he's just as much to blame as the team, if not more.
Sure. Any player who doesn't just do whatever the team wants is to blame. Whatever.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I hold a firm belief that players need to cash out on big contracts as soon as possible. Franchise tagging is a hell of a gamble for a player. Dak could have had upwards of 80-90m guaranteed no matter what. He gambled that he'd stay healthy and perform well and (at this point) he lost his gamble.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dak would have had 100M+ guaranteed but didn't want a 5th year

Cowboys were willing to pay him but Dak decided not to sign

At end of day Dak made mistake and has no one but himself to blame for situation

The media talking heads and others trying to blast Jerry Jones are idiots.. Jones opened checkbook but Dak refused the check

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Dak's going to be fine financially. He's already made enough money to set himself and his family up for life. Post-injury, he'll probably make at least another $75-$100 million throughout the rest of his career. Dude will be fine.

member 157595

I feel for Prescott because I like him personally regardless of how I passionately despise his team. In general, I don't particularly fault NFL players for fighting for for every dime they can due to the violent nature of the game and the lack of guaranteed contracts. I know the dollar amounts seem out of this world to you and me, but if I were in their positions I'd probably fight for my money too.

The NFC East is so incredibly bad that I still think Dallas can win that division with Dalton (obviously, they will be murdered in cold blood in the playoffs if they do in fact win the division.)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure. Any player who doesn't just do whatever the team wants is to blame. Whatever.
Any term past the 3rd year wouldn’t have been guaranteed for Dak. So understand why he wanted to go shorter. But as the QB he would hold a lot of leverage as that is the hardest position to replace vs a WR, CB or OL for example if he were to hold out after year 4.

Typically teams will try to push money into the non guaranteed years of the contract so there is less impact if they cut the player.

Does suck for Dak but I don’t find him to be a QB that can elevate average talent.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Dak would have had 100M+ guaranteed but didn't want a 5th year

Cowboys were willing to pay him but Dak decided not to sign

At end of day Dak made mistake and has no one but himself to blame for situation

The media talking heads and others trying to blast Jerry Jones are idiots.. Jones opened checkbook but Dak refused the check
I think this is very wrong. Jerry Jones screwed up and screwed up big. By prioritizing the singings of Zeke and Cooper, Jerry only sent Dak's price up and up and up.

This offseason, the Cowboys will either franchise tag Dak a second time (at an even higher price) or will sign Dak to a mega contract. Either choice will cost the Cowboys significantly more than if they had signed Dak to whatever contract he wanted before last season or even before this season. QB prices only go up. If you've got your guy, all waiting does is send the price higher as you watch bigger and bigger contracts gets signed.

Let's break it down. Had the Cowboys signed Dak to a mega contract after the 2018 season (when both Goff and Wentz singed theirs), it would have kicked in this season to pay him less than his current franchise tag. Putting the decisions side by side should help.

Tags/Extension2019 Extension
2020$31 M tag$30 M
2021$37 M tag2 or $40+ contract$30 M
2022$40+ contract$30 M
2023$40+ contract$30 M
Total>$150 M$120 M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
It's entirely possible that the Cowboys just let Dak walk. He's going to get a lot of money from someone despite the fact that he's never going to be the guy. He's an OK game manager who has been blessed with an offensive line that has been historically good, a premier running back, and all star pass catchers. Plug a dozen other QBs into his position and Dallas likely has a SB win in the last 5 years. I'm sure JJ and Cowboys management recognizes this.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Dak's going to be fine financially. He's already made enough money to set himself and his family up for life. Post-injury, he'll probably make at least another $75-$100 million throughout the rest of his career. Dude will be fine.

Yep, decent QB's get paid well in this league. I still don't doubt the Cowboys and Dak come to terms before the season ends.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's entirely possible that the Cowboys just let Dak walk. He's going to get a lot of money from someone despite the fact that he's never going to be the guy. He's an OK game manager who has been blessed with an offensive line that has been historically good, a premier running back, and all star pass catchers. Plug a dozen other QBs into his position and Dallas likely has a SB win in the last 5 years. I'm sure JJ and Cowboys management recognizes this.
This is crazy talk. Just crazy. It also seems a bit trapped in the past. I'm not sure you've watched a Cowboys game since Dak's rookie year. The Cowboys do not have a good offensive line. They did Dak's rookie season, but it's not been very good since then thanks to health problems. As for the game manager thing, you might want to go look at Dak's numbers last season and early this season.

That said, I have no doubt Jerry Jones now thinks finding a good QB is easy considering his last two starters were undrafted Romo and 4th round Dak. Jerry Jones may well think it's really easy to go find another QB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep, decent QB's get paid well in this league. I still don't doubt the Cowboys and Dak come to terms before the season ends.
If all goes well for Dak in his rehab, will he be ready for the start of next season? Hopefully, there no Alex Smith infection issues for him.

Who would Dak be an upgrade over?

SEA, AZ, LAR have their guy either by performance or cap hit. SF could make a change, but they also know that they have to pay their Defence.
GB has their guy. Chicago will win too many games to select a top QB in the draft. Leaves Min and Det who could pick up Trey Lance if they finish near the bottom. Making Cousins/Stafford available, but don't see them dumping their guy for Dak.
PHI, WAS, NYG. Was could be in position for Trey Lance. NYG, would likely make Jones available if they get Lawrence/Fields. Phi will keep Wentz
ATL, NO, TB, CAR - Brady, Bridgewater, Ryan are signed for next season. Too costly for ATL to cut Ryan. If they get a top pick, likely to work out something with Ryan. NO, too good to get a top young QB. See what they can do with Winston/Hill, so they are a possibililty.
NYJ, Buf, Miami, NE - Jets would move Darnold if they get Lawrence. NE, is that a landing spot for him potentially? Then what about Cam?
Pit, cin, Bal, Cle - all seem set unless Ben is close to retiring.
Hou, Ten, Jax, Ind - Jax and Indy likely in the market for a QB. Dak for free or make a trade for a younger guy who gets the Rosen treatment.
LV, KC, Den, LAC - LV Carr has his moments like the KC game. Is Dak an improvement for another $10 million more? Denver, see how Lock plays when he returns from injury.

Depending on who drafts Lawrence, Fields, and Lance, there could 2-3 young QBs available for trade, or even a veteran like Ryan, Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G who may get cut.

So, Dak's recovery timeline will play a big part in his next contract.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
If all goes well for Dak in his rehab, will he be ready for the start of next season? Hopefully, there no Alex Smith infection issues for him.

Who would Dak be an upgrade over?

SEA, AZ, LAR have their guy either by performance or cap hit. SF could make a change, but they also know that they have to pay their Defence.
GB has their guy. Chicago will win too many games to select a top QB in the draft. Leaves Min and Det who could pick up Trey Lance if they finish near the bottom. Making Cousins/Stafford available, but don't see them dumping their guy for Dak.
PHI, WAS, NYG. Was could be in position for Trey Lance. NYG, would likely make Jones available if they get Lawrence/Fields. Phi will keep Wentz
ATL, NO, TB, CAR - Brady, Bridgewater, Ryan are signed for next season. Too costly for ATL to cut Ryan. If they get a top pick, likely to work out something with Ryan. NO, too good to get a top young QB. See what they can do with Winston/Hill, so they are a possibililty.
NYJ, Buf, Miami, NE - Jets would move Darnold if they get Lawrence. NE, is that a landing spot for him potentially? Then what about Cam?
Pit, cin, Bal, Cle - all seem set unless Ben is close to retiring.
Hou, Ten, Jax, Ind - Jax and Indy likely in the market for a QB. Dak for free or make a trade for a younger guy who gets the Rosen treatment.
LV, KC, Den, LAC - LV Carr has his moments like the KC game. Is Dak an improvement for another $10 million more? Denver, see how Lock plays when he returns from injury.

Depending on who drafts Lawrence, Fields, and Lance, there could 2-3 young QBs available for trade, or even a veteran like Ryan, Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G who may get cut.

So, Dak's recovery timeline will play a big part in his next contract.

I don't know the details of the ankle fractures but TO broke his ankle, surgically repaired and played in the SB two months later, and played very well. This one seems more serious and I want to say Alex Smith had a rare set of circumstances. I had the same surgery at the same time and I was shocked when TO played.

I think no matter what Dak will be 100% next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad