Daigle/Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
nYr LunDmArK 21 said:
I was a young pup back in 91-93 when Daigle was in the potison Crosby is now. Therefore my question is, how was the Daigle hype? Is Crosby being hyped up just as much?

I'm not sure if Daigle was hyped when he was 16. Also, I think the main problem (until this year it seems) was Daigle's work ethic, some people questioned his commitment to the game. I have not heard anything like that about Crosby so far.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Daigle had (and still has) great hands though, and a good passing touch. He just showed absolutely zero willingness to play in traffic.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
Douggy said:
How does the Crosby hype compare to the Lindross hype?? I remember Lindross was allways called 'The Next One' and now they've given that nickname to Crosby. :dunno:

I still think Lindros was probably the second most hyped prospect ever, next to Mario in the early 80s leading to his draft year.

Lindros as mentioned many times before was a specimen unlike anything the NHL had ever seen. Speed, Size, toughness, nastly shot, etc

We all knew that Mario would be great, we all knew that Lindros would be great (and he was until his injuries)...

Sidney, i dunno... we know he's gonna be good at least

Angered Hab

Apr 23, 2003
Great White North
Visit site
Lindros was always hyped as the next greatest thing since oatmeal. (What a letdown that was. Anyone want about 12 Lindros' rookie cards?) The huge difference in Crosby and Lindros to me is that Lindros is a big dummy and Crosby is a little guy, more in the mold of a Gretzky. Ok, but seriously the puck seems to just flow off Crosby's stick. It is amazing to watch him. Lindros had mobility, but he seemed stiff at times.
I've seen both Lindros and now Crosby play in their respective juniors years and I have to say by far Crosby should to live up to it all much better. To be fair though, what could Lindros have done if it weren't for the concussions? We will never know now. Oh well! At least the big goof still has a job.

HaB
:joker:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I remember seeing Alex Daigle in an OHL/QMJHL all-star game in 1993, just prior to the draft and I was in awe of his talent. It wasn't JUST his speed that made him so potentially devastating. He had a goal-scorer's touch and the vision of a playmaker to go along with the ridiculous wheels. In that game, playing with and against several future NHLers such as Chris Pronger, Martin Lapointe and so many more that I can't recall right now (Jocelyn Thibault was one of the goaltenders for the Q), Daigle stood out as the best player on the ice by a WIDE margin. It was like he was a man playing with boys, it was scary how good he was. That's why I thought it was a no-brainer that he go No. 1 to Ottawa, over the likes of Pronger and Paul Kariya. Everybody felt the same way about Daigle. He was a clear-cut franchise talent.

As for the hype, I think the biggest hype was regarding Gretzky back in the day. When he was 16, the buzz was strong, then he leaves for the WHA at 17 and the hype machine was in full force. He lived up to that and so much more, creating a new standard. Second, I would say comes Lindros. He was hyped even more than Lemieux IMHO, especially being a kid from near Toronto. And no he didn't become a GREAT player, merely very good in his prime. He's now a shadow of his former self.

I'd place Lemieux No. 3 as most hyped but Crosby is closing in. I think Crosby has more hype surrounding him already than all others, including Daigle, Bouwmeester, Spezza, Dan Cleary, Mike Ricci, Rico Fata, etc.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Daigle had a lot more than speed. He had speed, sure, but he also had an astonishing skill set, one that is better than most of the players in the league right now. The problem is that his attitude and work ethic is at the other end of the spectrum.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Douggy said:
How does the Crosby hype compare to the Lindross hype?? I remember Lindross was allways called 'The Next One' and now they've given that nickname to Crosby. :dunno:
Lindros was the "next" bigger stronger Messier; that was his downfall. He was supposed to be both the best and toughest player in the League, which he probably came as close as anyone since Gordie Howe. Sid is more of a skill player, though Eric was also highly skilled but had the Big Hit gunslinger mentality to distract him from the skill side of his game and which led him toward the injuries. Sidney is more balanced, not looking for trouble and not shying away from traffic either. He's definitely going to be bigger and stronger than Gretzky but probably not reach Erics' size.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What a letdown that was. Anyone want about 12 Lindros' rookie cards?)
You think that sucks? How about having about 20 Daigle and Gratton rookie cards.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:
You think that sucks? How about having about 20 Daigle and Gratton rookie cards.

Yeah, '93 was when I started heavily into card collecting. Daigle, Gratton, Bonsignore, Straka, Lindros, etc. were the "hot" cards I was after.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Second, I would say comes Lindros. He was hyped even more than Lemieux IMHO, especially being a kid from near Toronto. And no he didn't become a GREAT player, merely very good in his prime. He's now a shadow of his former self.

When Lindros was on the top of his game, he was the best player in the NHL. Single handedly carried the flyers back into respectability, leaving a hart trophy in his wake. A force on both ends of the ice, with a killer phsyicallity to go with it.

Angered Hab

Apr 23, 2003
Great White North
Visit site
mario66 said:
When I hear that Crosby is going to be the next Gretzky, it makes me feel sick. Too much hype for a 20 year old let alone a 16 year old kid.

True, but everyone is in search of the next greatest thing. It's just the nature of the beast so to speak. The thing you should feel fortunate about is that there is a 99% chance that all this hype surrounding this kid will come to be true.

HaB

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
devildan said:
When Lindros was on the top of his game, he was the best player in the NHL. Single handedly carried the flyers back into respectability, leaving a hart trophy in his wake. A force on both ends of the ice, with a killer phsyicallity to go with it.

Don't forget that Eric always lived in the shadow of his parents. imo, that was as big an impediment to his ultimate success as anything.

#2FAN

Daigle had some serious hype packaged with him but at Junior there were some that questioned his desire, defensive play, and and physical play. There is no questions being directed towards Crosby. The only thing he is average at is his defensive play. I never seen anyone as strong on his skates as he is.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nYr LunDmArK 21 said:
I was a young pup back in 91-93 when Daigle was in the potison Crosby is now. Therefore my question is, how was the Daigle hype? Is Crosby being hyped up just as much?

There is no way Crosby is the next Daigle, Crosby is at least 2-3 times more talented.

:P

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It's good that nobody's mentioning Cleary's name anymore. He never scored anywhere near Crosby's level. Cleary put up about 80 points at 16; Sidney's on pace for about double that. Heck, he's even poised to outdo Daigle's big year of 137 points on his first try, and doesn't yet carry the baggage that Daigle had.

Last edited:

hottie_magnet

Crosby has an amazing talent and presence on the ice. If at 16 this is him, i don't even want to know about what will happen in the next few years when he's grown more comfortable in the league!!! If the kid can pull off 76 points in 33 games as a rookie!! What else is he gonna do!!

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Daigle was unbelievable in the Juniors, there were no words to describe it. I can't believe a talent like that was wasted because of a lazy wuss.

Jag68Vlady27 said:
I remember seeing Alex Daigle in an OHL/QMJHL all-star game in 1993, just prior to the draft and I was in awe of his talent. It wasn't JUST his speed that made him so potentially devastating. He had a goal-scorer's touch and the vision of a playmaker to go along with the ridiculous wheels. In that game, playing with and against several future NHLers such as Chris Pronger, Martin Lapointe and so many more that I can't recall right now (Jocelyn Thibault was one of the goaltenders for the Q), Daigle stood out as the best player on the ice by a WIDE margin. It was like he was a man playing with boys, it was scary how good he was. That's why I thought it was a no-brainer that he go No. 1 to Ottawa, over the likes of Pronger and Paul Kariya. Everybody felt the same way about Daigle. He was a clear-cut franchise talent.

As for the hype, I think the biggest hype was regarding Gretzky back in the day. When he was 16, the buzz was strong, then he leaves for the WHA at 17 and the hype machine was in full force. He lived up to that and so much more, creating a new standard. Second, I would say comes Lindros. He was hyped even more than Lemieux IMHO, especially being a kid from near Toronto. And no he didn't become a GREAT player, merely very good in his prime. He's now a shadow of his former self.

I'd place Lemieux No. 3 as most hyped but Crosby is closing in. I think Crosby has more hype surrounding him already than all others, including Daigle, Bouwmeester, Spezza, Dan Cleary, Mike Ricci, Rico Fata, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad