Proposal: Dahlin to Philly

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Since I'm a "process" kind of guy, let's start to do some Hinkie-type moves here.

Let's assume PHX gets #1 overall since they are last right now and St. Louis has the #30 pick (and let's assume Philly has the 7th pick in 2018). Would you do this deal in order to land a potential game-changing D (WARNING: this is going to hurt).

PHX Gives up:
#1 Overall 2018

PHI Gives Up:
#30 Overall (STL 2018)
2019 1st pick of Philly
Wayne Simmonds
Travis Sanheim

I'm proposing this just to gauge where everyone's feelings are at. Pretend PHX has come to Hextall and offered this.

Tear it apart. Can't wait to hear your arguments for/against.

Last edited:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I wouldn’t if I’m PHX. Sanheim still has work to put in before he is a top 4, Simmonds is a FA soon, and the 7th and 30th pick isn’t anything special when your talking about a possible generational D man in Dahlin.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't think Arizona touches this with a ten foot pole, what does a year of Simmonds do for them? What does the 30th pick do for them?

If Dahlin is this generational talent everyone is making him out to be, this wouldn't be enough. And I love Sanheim as much as the next guy.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
tumblr_ny2ve4LAn01txgvyko1_400.gif

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't think Arizona touches this with a ten foot pole, what does a year of Simmonds do for them? What does the 30th pick do for them?

If Dahlin is this generational talent everyone is making him out to be, this wouldn't be enough. And I love Sanheim as much as the next guy.

As a Leafs fan I had to put up with these ridiculous proposals (I'm sure Edmonton did too for McDavid) all the time. There is no package. Whoever gets that first pick will use it on Dahlin.
That is all.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I wouldn't make the trade from a Flyers stand point. Sanheim has size and skating ability that's second to none. As well, his offensive game is untapped potential right now. I'm fairly confident that in the next couple of years, he's a 50 to 60 point defenseman in Philadelphia. Plus, Simmonds will be flipped by Arizona if he's dealt there. I think the Flyers are better off flipping Simmonds instead and reading the rewards from that. Besides, if the Flyers land in the top 5, the consolation prizes for missing out on Dahlin aren't too bad either, especially if it means Svechnikov is the trigger man on a line with Patrick.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
As a Leafs fan I had to put up with these ridiculous proposals (I'm sure Edmonton did too for McDavid) all the time. There is no package. Whoever gets that first pick will use it on Dahlin.
That is all.

That's not the point. The point of the OP was: If PHX comes to Hexy with this offer, as a Flyers fan, do you take it?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Oh, sorry, missed the proviso.
F-ya I do.
But it's ridiculous to think it would ever happen.
I have to ask, how is St. Louis gifted a spot in the finals?

Because I need to assign a draft-spot in order to make an offer. Not about to have an argument over St. Louis being a finals team or not. Just assume it's a very-late one.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Arizona could flip Simmonds for a pretty big return that includes a 1st, prospect, and roster player.

I dont think id do it from the Flyers perspective.

Sanheim is going to be a hell of a defensemen.

Is Dahlin going to be THAT much better than him that we give up two 1sts and Simmonds who has a ton of additional value?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
So what happens if we do the trade then lose the lottery?

Not commenting on the merits or lack thereof of the proposal... but one would assume that any such deal would be contingent on the Trade Parner having already won the Lottery... but of course that would preclude them getting Simmonds services THIS Season.

... But it's a moot point since it's never going to be proposed anyway.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The last thing this team needs is another left handed defensemen. Isn't what you suggested exactly the opposite of being a "process guy"?

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The last thing this team needs is another left handed defensemen. Isn't what you suggested exactly the opposite of being a "process guy"?

Yes it is. Hinkie did it all the time. He traded really young assets for younger/better assets (see Michael Carter Williams trade).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Arizona could flip Simmonds for a pretty big return that includes a 1st, prospect, and roster player.

I dont think id do it from the Flyers perspective.

Sanheim is going to be a hell of a defensemen.

Is Dahlin going to be THAT much better than him that we give up two 1sts and Simmonds who has a ton of additional value?

That's pretty much the question I'm asking all of you. Is his upside worth that much in collective piece value?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I think the question isn't really is Dahlin that good of a player, but what is his impact on a team that already has Provorov, Ghost, Morin, and Myers, and could the team get a player that is a better fit by moving Simmonds?

I thin it's a no from the Flyers irregardless of the value.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
If Hinkie was running ARI he would call this year a tank year for them and take Dahlin as his Embiid/Simmons. He seems like the type of talent worth sucking a year for

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I don't care how good a player Dahlin could theoretically be. Kid hasn't played an NHL game yet, could turn out injury prone or even sustain a career ending injury early in his career. Or his game doesn't translate to the NHL even though likelyhood is close to zero.

That alone is enough for me to not do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad