Dahlin/Makar/Hughes Combined Norris Wins (This Decade)

Combined Norris trophies from 20-21 to 29-30

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I'm bored so...

Not including this season, how many of the next ten Norris trophies go to one of these upcoming defensemen?

I want to say six or seven, voting six.
Maybe a little high but they have all put up numbers earlier than say Hedman, and hopefully won't get injured like Karlsson.

Didn't include others to keep the group smaller and to leave some possible competition.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not an exact science predicting the number of Norris wins. How could you actually begin to predict with any precision?

I doubt that Hughes wins any, but he will score a lot of points.

I see Dahlin as the premier defenseman of his generation. He's 20 years old right now. I think if you can project him as a 4-5 time Norris winner, he'd probably nab 3 by the age of 30. I also think Makar will win one during his career, and he's 21 right now, so I think it'd be more likely than not that he gets that Norris trophy prior to age 32.

My answer was four.

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
Realistically, three or four is a decent guess. Let's not forget how many different defensemen are capable of putting up great seasons. Mark Giordano won the Norris last year at age 35. Victor Hedman, who is considered by many to be the league's best defenseman, is only 29. He could still be a top contender for the Norris for another half a decade.

Reactions: Voight

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson, and Keith were the best defenceman of the previous generation and they won 6 Norris Trophies.

We’re including one less player in this group and there are certainly some defenceman just as good not represented.

That being said, I would be surprised if it is less than four.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Messed up my vote for 5 (chose 6) , Makar/Hughes once each , Dahlin three

I like Dahlin a ton

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I voted 4. If Dahlin played for a different team maybe I would vote a higher number idk

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Voted 7.

Josi(x1, in 2020/21)
Dahlin(x4)
Makar(x2)
Hughes(x1)

With Seth Jones picking up the other 2 wins. Couple other guys will get Top 3 votes pretty regularly but I dont think anyone else puts together a Norris level season in the next decade. Though Heiskanen will be very close, reminds me a tonne of Pietrangelo where he will be consistently elite every year but doesn't ever have that truly dominant season to get him the trophy.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I can say with 100% assurance that Hughes will never win a Norris trophy. Nothing against him, but I can't see a scenario ever in the next decade where there isn't at least 3 d-men better than him.

There is a better chance Heiskanen will win a Norris than Hughes ever will. Also, like mentioned above, I'd have Hedman winning at least 1 if not multiple within the next decade.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Everyone skipping over Morrisey, Jones, Heiskanen, Provorov, Slavin, etc
I voted 3

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You don’t think this group will win a Norris?

All I'm saying is that people were pretty confident about Phaneuf and Pitkanen.

It wasn't about "if", it was about "how many".

Nothing wrong with speculating of course.

I think there are a few arguments to push the number down:

1. There are still some older players who can win Norris trophies for the next 3-5 years.

2. There are some other young defencemen with potential who aren't in the group (e.g. Heiskanen, Chabot).

3. There may be some other defencemen drafted over the next ten years who edge into the discussion.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
For comparison sake- Ovi/Crosby/Malkin won 3 harts from 2010-2020, and 2 Rosses, if my count is correct. I'm sure 10 years ago we all would have predicted more

With so many good players/defenders - it's hard to expect these guys to win too many. I voted 3 - mostly because I expect Dahlin will be great. But you still got guys like Chabot, Heisk and others. And Hedman is still good - Doughty/Karlsson still both young enough to dominate for a few more years. So much competition. So - 3.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
3 Dahlin
2 Hughes
1 Makar

which is probably overkill... I think Drysdale may get a few if the hype is legit

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I voted 10, though of course there is a signficant chance it is less than that and no chance it is higher, so median probability is closer to like 5.

Voted 7.

Josi(x1, in 2020/21)
Dahlin(x4)
Makar(x2)
Hughes(x1)

With Seth Jones picking up the other 2 wins. Couple other guys will get Top 3 votes pretty regularly but I dont think anyone else puts together a Norris level season in the next decade. Though Heiskanen will be very close, reminds me a tonne of Pietrangelo where he will be consistently elite every year but doesn't ever have that truly dominant season to get him the trophy.

I'll go with Makar (x5) and Dahlin (x5). Heiskanen might be the best in some year but I don't see him getting the votes. Jones likewise will continue to be amazing but doesn't have the dazzling abilities from the line to get more than 70 pts. Makar and Dahlin look like they could be 100 pt D so I'm focused there. Call me crazy but I think we're looking at Coffey and Bourque here.

On pure skill this is the most talented generation of D ever, and blows Hedman/Karlsson/Doughty out of the water.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Hughes and Makar should win a couple each. They are already 60-70 point dmen, and will be 75+ guys in their prime.

Dahlin will depend if he can reach his upside in Buffalo, whereas Colorado and Vancouver have a lot of forward talent to surround their Franchise dman, Buffalo is a dumpster fire.

I'll say 5 Norris Trophies. Guys like Hedman and Josi are still going to be around for a bit.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Going back to the offseason before 2010/11 and using this decade as a barometer, Doughty would have been the best one to project. He had a Norris nomination under his belt. Karlsson was highly touted but he just exploded onto the Norris scene one year and won it. I think picking Chabot to win a couple this upcoming decade would have been seen as more reasonable than picking Karlsson for 2 at the start of last decade. Hedman would have been seen as reasonable given he only had one year in the league and was insanely hyped, even if he took a while to get into the discussion.

I think you can reasonably compare Dahlin to Hedman and reasonably expect a Norris there, but I'm not so sure about Makar and Hughes.

Problem is that reviewing things in hindsight like this you're forgetting everyone else. What about Tyler Myers? How many Norris' did people have him penciled in for after looking like a dominant giraffe in his Calder campaign. Mike Green was 24 coming off a Norris nomination. Shea Weber was 24.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Going back to the offseason before 2010/11 and using this decade as a barometer, Doughty would have been the best one to project. He had a Norris nomination under his belt. Karlsson was highly touted but he just exploded onto the Norris scene one year and won it. I think picking Chabot to win a couple this upcoming decade would have been seen as more reasonable than picking Karlsson for 2 at the start of last decade. Hedman would have been seen as reasonable given he only had one year in the league and was insanely hyped, even if he took a while to get into the discussion.

I think you can reasonably compare Dahlin to Hedman and reasonably expect a Norris there, but I'm not so sure about Makar and Hughes.

Problem is that reviewing things in hindsight like this you're forgetting everyone else. What about Tyler Myers? How many Norris' did people have him penciled in for after looking like a dominant giraffe in his Calder campaign. Mike Green was 24 coming off a Norris nomination. Shea Weber was 24.

I think your premise definitely makes some sense. There are a lot of good defenceman not listed in this poll.

I wasn’t on this board around Myers and Phaneuf’s rookie season. Was the hype around them similar to Hughes/Makar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad