Friedman: Da Block is Hot: Tyson barrie given permission to talk to other teams

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Normally I'd say nobody would be interested here but after seeing Granlund go for a 2nd with no retention (with years left on his deal) you really never know.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
This is mildly ironic because Barrie's career is legitimately at least 5x more impressive than the no-talent plug you named yourself after lol. That massive oaf can't defend for shit either so IDK why you did it - lose a bet?
He's far better than Barrie, and actually has a place on a legit NHL team. Barrie has never even attempted to learn how to play defence.

• Haha
Reactions: a mangy Meowth

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
With the fire power that the pens have that should come from within. The pens Powerplay being crap is maybe the biggest surprise to me this year, even more than Edmonton's start

do you think that was because of his play or because of the high octane oilers last year. Guess some people could say chicken or egg sort of thing, but I feel like that was more of a product of the team play.
Since his first full season, he's 10th in the NHL for EVP among defensemen. So it tracks that his play style contributes to a high-octane offense. Unfortunately, the Oilers didn't have the quality of defensive defenseman required to make up for Barrie's obvious shortcomings in that regard.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Since his first full season, he's 10th in the NHL for EVP among defensemen. So it tracks that his play style contributes to a high-octane offense. Unfortunately, the Oilers didn't have the quality of defensive defenseman required to make up for Barrie's obvious shortcomings in that regard.
if he was paired with a Mikey Anderson type i think he would excel.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
if he was paired with a Mikey Anderson type i think he would excel.
He'll be getting past that point now, but you're kind of seeing the effect with the player he was traded for. A healthy Ekholm makes Bouchard (who is worse defensively than Barrie) worth the frustration.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Barrie definitely seems to have some interesting "history" with some fans here, lol. He hasn't made it to 50 games with the Preds yet, but I don't actually see what all the angst is about. Sure, he's not good defensively. But we've had lots worse. I won't have nightmares about him or anything. We happen to have 6 better guys now that Stastney has come back up and the organization seems to finally be recognizing Fabbro again. So that makes Barrie expendable. But he is by no means "attrocious" or a "trainwreck" or anything. He has been mostly-adequate for us overall, with a few peaks and valleys.

Just, we don't have a steady offensive role for him atm. He seems to need to be The Guy on the PP, which we don't have available for him with Josi here. And probably there aren't many other teams out there either who don't already have somebody better. But if he hadn't asked for a trade, I doubt we'd be in any rush to move him this soon. He's not hurting us. He just probably wants out for his own reasons - i.e. to have his own PP to pump up his stats and get his next contract; he'll be turning 33 this summer, he wants to get some money before he's done. Doesn't look too promising for him on that front, but fair enough that he wants to try his hand somewhere else if at all possible. :dunno:

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He has negative value at his cap hit. Pred should just wait until the deadline retain 50% and then trade him for a $2 million cap dump and they could probably get a decent draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad