U20: D1B in Tychy, Poland (8/12 - 14/12 2018)

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
So this one starts tomorrow and I haven't found a thread so here we are.

IIHF - Home 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship DIVISION I, Group B

The iihf is doing a horrible job with this new website, simply awful.

A day before opening match:
No Rosters, No News, No past tournamemts available in the archive.

Enough rage, should be quite an interesting group, Japan promoted from IIA, Hungary relegated from IA but i would call the favourites to go up again.
Slovenia (don't know if Drozg is released) and Poland could ice strong teams as well.

E: could a mod please change the title? I wrote 2A instead of 1B...

Last edited:
Reactions: kaiser matias

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yeah, would be easier to predict the outcome of this tournament if rosters were easily accessible...

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I believe you can change the thread title yourself?

Here are the entry lists for each team.
2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Div I Group B
Thank Maverick41 for being an awesome guy and providing us with the links.

Hungary will probably win, but Slovenia might contest.

It took a while but I finally found out how to change the title. It's not a post edit, it's under 'thread tools'.

Thanks for the link, I wish the iihf could just use the old website instead of this mobile-adjusted weirdness.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I noticed Italy won against Slovenia 4-0 during friendly a month ago or so. How did that happen?

Quite interesting that both Slovenia and Italy are bringing almost the same team as last year.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Italy also beat France in that 4-nations cup, they're not that bad.
Most of them play in the AlpsHL and in Swiss Juniors.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Japan brings uncharacteristically young team. They are notorious for bringing oldest team possible to these tournaments so this is refreshing to see as well. Ukraine looks really poor besides couple of players so it will be a rough year for them.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ukraine looks like the better side against Poland, largely thanks to Morozov and Peresunko, but it still counts.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Poland also has a pretty weak generation, nothing similar to last year's team. These guys managed to blow promotion game against Estonia at U18 level.. Other than Hungary on the top this is going to be a really interesting tournament.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ukraine's WSHL goalie is throwing this one away by letting pucks go through him...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, friendlies aside, in the tournament game shots after 1 period are 16-1 Slovenia.

3-0 in the end, 2nd period was pretty even but Slovenians were better in 1 and 3. Very disciplined game by them, very attentive defensively. The gap between them and bottom 4 is probably going to be bigger than I expected.

Last edited:

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Well, friendlies aside, in the tournament game shots after 1 period are 16-1 Slovenia.

3-0 in the end, 2nd period was pretty even but Slovenians were better in 1 and 3. Very disciplined game by them, very attentive defensively. The gap between them and bottom 4 is probably going to be bigger than I expected.
The most remarkable fact comes out comparing the roster of Slovenia with the roster of Italy. Jan Drozg (QJMHL) is the superstar in the team, but 15 players are active in the Alps Hockey League, the same league as 11 Italian players. Italy had yesterday also 5 guys from Swiss Junior, 2 from German Junior and 1 from Finnish Junior. So where comes the big gap from?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
My way too early prediction is that Japan will go down this year, their youthfulness will be their downfall. Really liked Italian keeper yesterday, he looked better than 1B level for sure.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
My way too early prediction is that Japan will go down this year, their youthfulness will be their downfall. Really liked Italian keeper yesterday, he looked better than 1B level for sure, he will keep Italy in games on his own.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The most remarkable fact comes out comparing the roster of Slovenia with the roster of Italy. Jan Drozg (QJMHL) is the superstar in the team, but 15 players are active in the Alps Hockey League, the same league as 11 Italian players. Italy had yesterday also 5 guys from Swiss Junior, 2 from German Junior and 1 from Finnish Junior. So where comes the big gap from?
Well it's not only about the league people play in it's also about how they perform in it. Playing for something like Fassa which has 1 regulation win in 19 games isn't the same as playing for Slovenian teams that are in the upper mid-tier so to speak. Berger is the only one really solid Alps league player on the team meanwhile Slovenians have a few of those (Svetina, Urukalo, etc.) plus Drozg.

And that's even more so when it comes to playing in junior leagues abroad. Just playing there doesn't mean anything. Someone like Deluca is being hyped but is just flat out not good at this level. DNL is any good at all at this point it's in no way a step up compared to playing in Slovenia, for example.

I will agree about Fadani though, he looked pretty good.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Deluca wasn't bad. Just Slovenia was better. First of all, it was a boring game, a lot of long shots and until the last period not many great chances. The whole game was basically played in the Italian zone, but the slovenians couldn't execute the cycle or get the puck in front of the net or even get a screen on the net. The Italian coach was also silly to not have Spinell in front of the net like in Davos but rather in the high slot and put Pechlaner in front of the net. The slovenian goaltender was great but he was too active in the crease, a better team would have exposed that.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Uneventful day, favorites win. Hungary put 63 shots on Ukrainian net, that's a pretty interesting piece of trivia.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
My way too early prediction is that Japan will go down this year, their youthfulness will be their downfall. Really liked Italian keeper yesterday, he looked better than 1B level for sure.

Well Japan played a close game with Hungary, whereas Ukraine got destroyed by Hungary, so I'd say Ukraine are most likely to go down.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Imagine being 3-0 up and then losing 9-3. Sounds like match fixing
Ukraine was only up 2-0. And it happens every day in pro hockey what to even talk in junior. Even yesterday a similar scenario happened to both Hungary and Belarus. Sounds like you are paranoid.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So today Ukraine plays versus Japan, likely for the relegation. The team which loses is definitely behind the 8ball.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So today Ukraine plays versus Japan, likely for the relegation. The team which loses is definitely behind the 8ball.
Indeed, maybe will watch this over our game in 1A, want to know if Morozov and Peresunko will be enough to fight of relegation for Ukraine. Also need to this see 2001 born Nakajima, who has scored or assisted on each of Japan's 4 goals so far, maybe Iguchi is not a solo act down the road :sarcasm: .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad