D- Zach Biggar, Summerside, MHL (2021) Draft.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Do you not understand how few 16 year olds are ready for USHL? It's not a 16 year olds league.

Outside of the US Program, there are only 12 16 year olds playing regularly in the league. Of the 12 actually there, only about 3-4 are playing in their teams top 9 fwds/top 4D because they're not necessarily ready for a real role yet. And those 12 aren't necessarily the top 12 16 year olds in the country outside of the US Development program. It's not a race.

You have misspelled the name of the league.

Never heard anyone say "Maritime Junior A Hockey League" only Maritime Hockey League.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Everyone I know calls it the Q graveyard... however if we’re referring to it by an actual name they call it the MHL.

However, that’s all irrelevant. Biggar was and is good enough to be playing for Bathurst this year but they didn’t keep him because they had a bit of a log jam on defence and the better move was to send him to the MHL for the year instead of not being able to get all the young defenceman they had the minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s called up for the 2nd half but they may also be content to let him play in the MHL for the season and play a lot of minutes deep into the playoffs instead of coming up to a terrible Q team.

He’s a legitimate NHL prospect IMO. I see him stepping into the top 4 next year and having an impact for that team.. although they’ll still be bad so his stats probably won’t jump through the roof. We’ll see how things play out but I think he’s a guy that’ll “come out of nowhere” since no one is legitimately following the MHL for NHL prospects. As of right now, I’d have no problem drafting him but it’s hard to place where exactly since we’re so far out. I like his potential and game, he’s a player I’ll be following.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Everyone I know calls it the Q graveyard... however if we’re referring to it by an actual name they call it the MHL.

However, that’s all irrelevant. Biggar was and is good enough to be playing for Bathurst this year but they didn’t keep him because they had a bit of a log jam on defence and the better move was to send him to the MHL for the year instead of not being able to get all the young defenceman they had the minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s called up for the 2nd half but they may also be content to let him play in the MHL for the season and play a lot of minutes deep into the playoffs instead of coming up to a terrible Q team.

He’s a legitimate NHL prospect IMO. I see him stepping into the top 4 next year and having an impact for that team.. although they’ll still be bad so his stats probably won’t jump through the roof. We’ll see how things play out but I think he’s a guy that’ll “come out of nowhere” since no one is legitimately following the MHL for NHL prospects. As of right now, I’d have no problem drafting him but it’s hard to place where exactly since we’re so far out. I like his potential and game, he’s a player I’ll be following.
I pay attention to it but it's hard to get a good read on guys. It really is a Q graveyard... any halfway decent guy I think could be an NCAA prospect has either a season or two or like, 2 games played there. total bummer

Reactions: Dodospice

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland

Good analogy. How is the play of the MHL? Is it as bad as everyone says it is or? Underrated?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Looks like an interesting prospect but he is 5'11" and 172 lbs.

How much bigger will he get is the obvious question here.:sarcasm:

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Good analogy. How is the play of the MHL? Is it as bad as everyone says it is or? Underrated?
I don't think it's that bad but there are some teams that are much better than the rest. It's definitely one of the weaker junior leagues though and just seems to function as a place for Q guys to store players or older guys who couldn't cut it there

Reactions: Dodospice

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I don't think it's that bad but there are some teams that are much better than the rest. It's definitely one of the weaker junior leagues though and just seems to function as a place for Q guys to store players or older guys who couldn't cut it there

How would Summerside fair in the BCHL? They seems to be the best team by a fair margin.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How would Summerside fair in the BCHL? They seems to be the best team by a fair margin.
Not very well, near the bottom of the league

The MHL is not a good league, just look at their commitments compared to the BCHL. Any team at random in the BCHL has as many or more D-1 NCAA commitments on their team this year than the MHL has had as a league in the past 10 years.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I see the other poster says they'd do bad, honestly I think they'd be fine, they have a good line and okay depth. The BCHL is good but not like stupid good. I think they'd be middle of the pack hard to say for sure though. Only team I've really watched from the maritime league this year

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Not very well, near the bottom of the league

The MHL is not a good league, just look at their commitments compared to the BCHL. Any team at random in the BCHL has as many or more D-1 NCAA commitments on their team this year than the MHL has had as a league in the past 10 years.

I don’t think NCAA commitments is a good way to base how strong the league is though. It’s full of former QMJHL and CHL players, those of whom had they saved their eligibility could garner NCAA offers. They push lots of guys to the CIS each season too but it’s definitely a weaker league. Any prospects playing in the league are using it as a stepping stone to the QMJHL and nothing more really.

Reactions: tealhockey

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

It’s definitely a weak league. I think it’s a good stepping stone for a 16 year old looking to push your way into the Q and get used to playing against older players but if you’re 19/20 and in the league, you’re either a Q guy that couldn’t cut it at 20 or not good enough for the NCAA. I definitely wouldn’t call it underrated but there is some very good prospects that come out of the league, the only problem is these guys are burning their eligibility at 16/17/18 and when their 19/20 they can’t get the NCAA offers they could since it’s not there anymore. I’ve seen a lot of good players come through the league that I think can play NCAA hockey but unfortunately the Q is the first choice for basically all of them and the MHL is an afterthought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad