Prospect Info: D Xavier Bernard

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
This just sounds like the name of a guy who will be successful. It's a power name. Like in 5 years someone will say we need a guy like Xavier Bernard on our team. Except he'll be ours.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This just sounds like the name of a guy who will be successful. It's a power name. Like in 5 years someone will say we need a guy like Xavier Bernard on our team. Except he'll be ours.
Between Xavier, Akira, and Eetu, we got quite the haul in good first names. In fact, I believe we're set for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It's odd, but I was thinking the same thing. Very odd...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Shift-by-shift of Xavier Bernard in the QMJHL Playoffs game 5 vs. Victoriaville 4/15/18

My thoughts resemble yours.

I thought he brought the physicality early, had 4 or 5 hits in his first 2 shifts, but not so much after that.

Def does not want to skate with the puck, but he does pretty consistently make a good in rhythm pass to a team mate.

His shot looks good. Hard and accurate in this game at least.

I thought he skated well, didn't really see a slow first step, but at times when skating backwards with a puck carrier baring down on him he did look awkward tight.

Only played 16 minutes, but was a +1. As you say, at this point, a d first d-man, but you do want to see his game grow to the other side of the ice.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
From that clip above I'm not seeing a project at all. He looks sound defensively and very smooth on his skates. Who knows how he will progress but that's always the million dollar question...looked like a solid prospect to me.
And while not an aggressive puck carrier I thought he moved the puck really well.

Given the scouting report I thought that stood out. He has puck skills.

Leading scorer for Drumondville this season was Beaudin, a d-man drafted in the first round this year, also a lefty, who will most likely be back. So that says a couple things, 1) Beaudin, being a superior offensive d-man, probably got the choice offensive assignments, and 2)that will probably continue next year.

There is another lefty d-man who will be draft eligible next year who put up 7 points in 10 playoff games. Bernard will have to push to not get pigeonholed as a d only d-man.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He never signed with the Devils and is currently playing in the ECHL. I believe we still own his rights (someone correct me if this is wrong).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He never signed with the Devils and is currently playing in the ECHL. I believe we still own his rights (someone correct me if this is wrong).
I'm thinking no. The CHL guys I believe you lose their rights after 2 years if you don't sign them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad