D Veeti Vainio - Blues U20, Jr. A SM Liiga (2015, 141st, CBJ)

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I thought I would start a thread for this guy, as I just watched him on video in the Finland-Sweden game from the 5-Nations U18 a couple of weeks ago. I'm interested to know more about him from posters who are more familiar with him.

Details:
Eliteprospects lists as 6'0", 163 lbs (but I have to say he looked a little taller than that- of course video is not a good way to tell). He's put up lots of points with his junior team: 34-10-27-37 (as of Feb. 18, 2015). He's ranked #48 among Eurropean skaters by Central Scouting.

Observations from this game:
Seems like a smooth skater and showed a definite willingness to jump into the play in the offensive zone. Showed he could dance around defenders with the puck and get to an opening- good puck handling and mobility. As the game progressed he seemed to get more confident with the puck, as if he was realising he has some capability to take over the game with his skill and confidence. Didn't seem to take a lot of unnecessary risks or put himself out of position. Played a 'positional' style at times on defence, but on at least one occasion took an opponent out effectively with a hard body check, showing some evidence of toughness and maybe even a tiny mean streak? Didn't see that a lot, but it did show up at least once.

Seems like a legit prospect to me. I've got to think he'll be ranked higher by Central Scouting next time around, but who knows?

You posters who know him better than me, does my little analysis make any sense? :)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
He was listed as 187cm(6'2)/77KG(170lbs) at start of the season.

Stats from A-Juniors 41GP 13G 31A 44 points

Going to NCAA/USHL for next season.

Never really been impressed with him. Tries to do too much on his own and often makes really risky/unnecassery plays with the puck. Also his decisionmaking on the defensive zone is really questionable, when to hit, when to pass, when to carry the puck etc. All the tools but no toolbox kinda guy.

Next season should tell more about his potential, wheather or not his game will translate to bigger leagues at all.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
He was listed as 187cm(6'2)/77KG(170lbs) at start of the season.

Stats from A-Juniors 41GP 13G 31A 44 points

Going to NCAA/USHL for next season.

Never really been impressed with him. Tries to do too much on his own and often makes really risky/unnecassery plays with the puck. Also his decisionmaking on the defensive zone is really questionable, when to hit, when to pass, when to carry the puck etc. All the tools but no toolbox kinda guy.

Next season should tell more about his potential, wheather or not his game will translate to bigger leagues at all.

Thanks for the info. That would help to explain his relatively lower ranking. It's easy to believe that he could have poor decision making. Either I might not be very good at spotting it, or this might be a game where he did okay. It's notable that he seemed to rank below '98 born Juolevi in the pecking order even though he's a '97.

Also, interesting to know that he's planning to head to North America.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Lehterä must have promised him a roster spot in Liiga for next year?

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Lehterä said in one interview that Vainio was ready to play in FEL this season. Hopefully he gets play good minutes in Blues

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He is a lock to U18's. He is maybe the most important defenseman in the tournament for us if we want to win.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I was listening to Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospects on M vs W podcast, and he said this guy may have the best skating ability of all draft eligible prospects, including McDavid. He also said he can't defend worth a dime though.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Vainio has incredible skating ability, his poise and offensive game is elite. He has good size and is decent defensively. He takes some risk offensively and some of those can end up as goal but for the opposing team. At the own zone he isn't most reliable defenseman but can do his job. Biggest flaw for him is consistency. At times he can be easily most dominant player on ice doing whatever he wants and game after that he can be worst player on ice doing only bad things. Boom or bust prospect.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
I was listening to Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospects on M vs W podcast, and he said this guy may have the best skating ability of all draft eligible prospects, including McDavid.

Posters(Espoo Blues fans) at jatkoaika.com claim Veeti Vainio is not good enough skater to play in liiga. Who should I believe here?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Posters(Espoo Blues fans) at jatkoaika.com claim Veeti Vainio is not good enough skater to play in liiga. Who should I believe here?

I don't know who they have watched. It's about same thing that saying Vatanen wasn't good enough skater to play in Liiga.

dsg89

Mar 24, 2009
I don't know who they have watched. It's about same thing that saying Vatanen wasn't good enough skater to play in Liiga.

I can confirm his is an excellent skater. Saw him at u18 in some games.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Really disappointing tournament at the U18's for him.

Saarijärvi was what Vainio was supposed to be in that tournament.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Not invited to WJC summer camp?

He was drafted because he has potential to be good player in the future but as of now, he is maybe 11th or 12th defenseman on the depth chart for the WJC team.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
only 3 drafted defensemen invited?

Here is the list: http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...etaan-joukkue-turnaukseen-lake-placidiin.html

Tuulola, Mikkola, Niku, Saarijärvi are the drafted guys who will be at the team for sure.

Then there is three underagers(98' born) defenders in Juolevi, Välimäki and Niemeläinen who will all play in WHL/OHL next year. 1 or 2 of these guys will be on the team.

Final spots will go to Sopanen, Moberg, Keskitalo and Rouhiainen who all played with the U20 national team last year.

They also invited Leskinen, Mattila and Haaranen over Vainio.

Tuulola and Juolevi are currently recovering from injuries and weren't invited because of that.

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
Vainio scored the third and game winning goal in a 5-2 win today at the Tournament for the Blue Jackets,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad