D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Doug Wilson Jr (Head Scout) and Bryan Marchment (scout) have attended 40 of his games last season. I am sure, Marchment especially, would not encourage any antics that would be detrimental to a locker room. Marchment is on record vouching for Merks.

Maybe Rob Wilson just isn't a strong enough coach to handle a dynamic personality (new coach needing to maintain complete control of a bunch of kids). Burns had no problem taking him under his wing during Sharks developmental camp last year.
He's had issues with every single OHL coach he's had, and he's had 3. You know the saying "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." There is a reason a team would dump him for peanuts while trying to win the league. It's not like Guelph were rebuilding. They wanted nothing to do with him at that point and thought it was addition by subtraction.

I'm sure the Sharks staff is telling him to correct this stuff. It doesn't mean he's listening.

Peterborough has wanted him out since March. They pretty quickly realized they made a mistake.

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
He's had issues with every single OHL coach he's had, and he's had 3. You know the saying "If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." There is a reason a team would dump him for peanuts while trying to win the league. It's not like Guelph were rebuilding. They wanted nothing to do with him at that point and thought it was addition by subtraction.

I'm sure the Sharks staff is telling him to correct this stuff. It doesn't mean he's listening.

I am not questioning the fact that Merkley is a tough case. Everything points to it. However, these are kids that these coaches are dealing with. It is easy to pass the buck on kids that challenges your authority. I just find it to be a sign of weak coaching. Good coaches find ways to get the ear of the challenging cases.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I am not questioning the fact that Merkley is a tough case. Everything points to it. However, these are kids that these coaches are dealing with. It is easy to pass the buck on kids that challenges your authority. I just find it to be a sign of weak coaching. Good coaches find ways to find the ear of the challenging cases.
Its happened repeatedly. Maybe Merkley should look in the mirror. If this happened with just one coach, you might have a case. But, he's done it everywhere he's gone. This isn't a weak coach wanting rid of him. No team in the OHL values him very highly. That should tell you, that the issue isn't with the coach. Good coaches and organizations also know when to walk away from a sunk-cost that they can't fix.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It's really too bad Merkley is such a head-case, he is such a talented player. I hope he figures it out soon and matures a bit.

Reactions: Dominance

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I am not questioning the fact that Merkley is a tough case. Everything points to it. However, these are kids that these coaches are dealing with. It is easy to pass the buck on kids that challenges your authority. I just find it to be a sign of weak coaching. Good coaches find ways to get the ear of the challenging cases.

This is just a rose-coloured-glasses take

Merkleys issues are mostly off ice - being tough to coach is just one of many reasons why he is considered toxic

The constant is Merkley - not coaches failing. Teammates get sick of him, coaches get sick of him, agents get sick of him. He is the only constant. The other people are just subjected to him until they throw their hands up.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It sounds like the kid needs to talk to a psychiatrist imo, When you're that young I give the kid the benefit of the doubt. If he can learn to understand why he reacts certain ways maybe he can work on ways to slowly make off ice changes to become a more well rounded person.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Does he have light ASD? would explain a lot if so, watching his pre-draft interview he is well aware of his difficulties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It sounds like the kid needs to talk to a psychiatrist imo, When you're that young I give the kid the benefit of the doubt. If he can learn to understand why he reacts certain ways maybe he can work on ways to slowly make off ice changes to become a more well rounded person.
He was supposed to be seeing one pre-draft which his agency hooked him up with. It was mentioned in interviews around the draft.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He’s not mature enough or ready to play pro hockey right now IMO. He has plenty of warts that he needs to iron out and if he isn’t able or willing to do it in the CHL, then I doubt it’ll work for him in the AHL.
I agree he is an offensive guy who seems like he still has a lot of growth to come at both sides of the ice. The AHL is a men's league and it is a lot harder to grow as that type of player while still not physically at the same level as most of the AHL

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Guelph won the OHL title, they properly assessed getting rid of Merkley would be a net positive. The coaching was good enough to go to the memorial cup, so maybe, just maybe the problem might be the guy who's been a headcase all of his life.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Reactions: snipes and avsfan09

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I didn’t say it’s not his fault. I just said that clearly he needs more input from the coaching staff and people around him if he’s going to change

Sometimes the person being deemed trouble by many different people needs to realize HE is the problem and not everyone else. And start working with them.

See Josh HoSang

Reactions: Bevans

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's a shame he is such an issue. Has been really exciting to watch over his junior career, his skating is so smooth

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Guelph won the OHL title, they properly assessed getting rid of Merkley would be a net positive. The coaching was good enough to go to the memorial cup, so maybe, just maybe the problem might be the guy who's been a headcase all of his life.

They repeated line of "well Guelph won the title without him," from a few people is a bit disingenuous. It's not like they traded him and left the team alone after that. They ended up adding Sean Durzi, Markus Phillips, Nick Suzuki, and Mackenzie Entwistle. More of a case of without those guys added, they don't win the title than with Merkley they were hindered.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Really does suck to see this. He's super talented and even though I'm a fan of the team who drafted him, I
m not going to deny the issues here. He's only going to be 19 this season so he still has a ton of time to grow up as a person, but it's all going to be up to him.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
They repeated line of "well Guelph won the title without him," from a few people is a bit disingenuous. It's not like they traded him and left the team alone after that. They ended up adding Sean Durzi, Markus Phillips, Nick Suzuki, and Mackenzie Entwistle. More of a case of without those guys added, they don't win the title than with Merkley they were hindered.

I think it's that interpretation that's disingenuous. No one is saying that getting rid of him was the sole key, they're saying that a team that wanted to win decided that they were better off trading him away cheaply and paying a premium for a replacement rather than just keeping him around.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Its happened repeatedly. Maybe Merkley should look in the mirror. If this happened with just one coach, you might have a case. But, he's done it everywhere he's gone. This isn't a weak coach wanting rid of him. No team in the OHL values him very highly. That should tell you, that the issue isn't with the coach. Good coaches and organizations also know when to walk away from a sunk-cost that they can't fix.

Check the record of George Burnett. Ask about his stay at McGill.

George Burnett Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

George Burnett (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

How has Burnett faired in the NHL with the McGill clan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad