D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
That's also what I was wondering, if his commitment to defense is a huge issue, why not just develop him as a winger?

I ask that here before to, the answer i got was that he would request a trade then.

However i think his bad attitude is exaggerated.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
That's also what I was wondering, if his commitment to defense is a huge issue, why not just develop him as a winger?

I think he has all the skills to be a forward at the next level. And I agree if his defensive ability is so bad then transition him to a forward role.

When I watch him play I have to remind myself that he is a defenseman.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think he has all the skills to be a forward at the next level. And I agree if his defensive ability is so bad then transition him to a forward role.

This is one of the bigger flawed premises i've seen perpetuated in the hockey world, i.e move an offensive defenseman to forward because he's bad defensively and it will just somehow work out.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

Deangelo part 2 ?

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
This is one of the bigger flawed premises i've seen perpetuated in the hockey world, i.e move an offensive defenseman to forward because he's bad defensively and it will just somehow work out.

Obviously it rarely works. But positional changes happen occasionally i.e. Brent Burns, Dustin Byflugien.

Merkley is practically already playing forward anyways.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I went to highschool with the guy and still hang out with him every now and then he’s honestly a really nice guy. That being said he does have a bit of a cocky attitude, when he is around good guys he’s never a problem. Great guy to party with too ;)
Anyone who's played knows that a guy's on-ice persona can be totally different from his real-life character. Being a "nice guy" off the ice is irrelevant.

Presumably he's been "around good guys" on the Storm, but NHL teams are still concerned about his attitude.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Constanino referenced HoSang and Deangelo as well.

He says that there is numerous amount of teams that under no circumstance would they draft Ryan Merkley.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Teams are really stupid it seems like. It's the same reason that Sprong into the 2nd round in 2015, teams put way too much emphasis on personalities in drafts. As long as a dude isn't a wife beater or something like that, I genuinely don't care about his personality. Now, this is assuming that teams are saying no to him due to attitude issues, which seems to be the most likely reason.

What is the actual issue with Merkley? I see he's bad defensively and has questions about his work ethic, is that it?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I know nothing about this player but just in the very short time I saw him he looked like a total puck hog. Yeah not scientific or thorough at all just a 1st impression.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Teams are really stupid it seems like. It's the same reason that Sprong into the 2nd round in 2015, teams put way too much emphasis on personalities in drafts. As long as a dude isn't a wife beater or something like that, I genuinely don't care about his personality. Now, this is assuming that teams are saying no to him due to attitude issues, which seems to be the most likely reason.

What is the actual issue with Merkley? I see he's bad defensively and has questions about his work ethic, is that it?
I've heard he throws tantrums against his coaches when things don't go his way and he doesn't get offensive opportunities.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Constanino referenced HoSang and Deangelo as well.

He says that there is numerous amount of teams that under any circumstance would draft Ryan Merkley.
So no matter what pick they get, they would draft merkley. Or are you trying to say they wont draft him?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It’s not surprising - these types of guys don’t exactly often turn into impact NHL players.

It’s easy to see the appeal though. I think he’ll go somewhere in the late 2nd.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
It gets thrown around a lot, to a say a player doesn't care defensively, but from the games i've seen, he truly barely cared. Incredibly worrisome.

Reactions: 21 Savage

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
What I wonder about is, if Ryan Merkley (hypothetically) was sitting there in the 7th round, how many of those teams would still pass on him.

As for the issues, ask @93LEAFS. He seems pretty in tune with some of Merkleys issues, and it goes beyond not caring

Reactions: 21 Savage

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bullshit. I don’t Believe these no draft lists exist. If he’s still available in the 3rd round you’re taking him on potential.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad